↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > oil pressure concerns
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Ndamico

Canada 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Alpine White
oil pressure concerns
2004 110, td5. 150k miles. have recently installed madman ems3. running fairly hard up mountains yesterday. outside temp 90*F. coolant temp was 204*F, 1250*F EGT. noticed oil pressure on my madman was down around 30 psi. slowly it went further down into the 20psi range. when i went to downshift madman showed zero psi during gear change but oil pressure light on cluster didn't come on. as i went down in elevation it slowly read higher. normally car makes about 46psi cruising and about 16psi hot idle.

perhaps its my madman but i'm concerned it may be something else. i don't know the history of the engine. been reading that the pumps can crack. i'm using helix ultra 5w-40 synthetic. any suggestions? 04 110 TD5
Post #849166 10th Aug 2020 8:09pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
When was the oil last changed? The oil pump generally either works or it doesn't. lf the low oil pressure warning light didn't come on then the engine is probably OK.
Post #868864 21st Nov 2020 10:04pm
Ndamico

Canada 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Alpine White
I change it often. Its the same with fresh oil. I had oil analysis done and the oil came back fine. It definitely follows how hard i work the engine. I never knew it was happening until I got the madman installed. Going to monitor oil temp and see if its getting too got. If it is im going to try an external oil cooler. 04 110 TD5
Post #868868 21st Nov 2020 10:19pm
4RF RDS

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Epsom Green
Check your high pressure relief valve. It could be stuck open... normal pressure values below. Also do you know the engine history? Has the oil pump been replaced, repaired (sprocket bolt issue) etc.

Good luck Thumbs Up

http://www.discovery2.co.uk/Oil_pump_bolt.html 2010 Range Rover MkIII Autobiography Super Charged (Idris)
2003 Range Rover Mk III (Desmond FitzWilliam)
2000 Defender 110 CSW TD5 (CTX)
1992 Range Rover Classic (Lizzy)
1972 Series III 300 Tdi (Stanwood)
1967 MGB GT

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
Post #868870 21st Nov 2020 10:22pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
Make sure the full flow oil filter is a genuine one as it has a non return valve in it which can affect oil pressure at idle speed.
However the engine has done 150,000 miles so it could just be that it's worn, depending on the maintenance history.

Probably still good for another 50,000.
Post #868934 22nd Nov 2020 11:35am
Mossberg

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Aintree Green
I changed the oil on my 300tdi recently. I had a britpart filter already and put that on. However I needed to redo the seal on my oil pan so wanted to leave the sealant to go off.

I later read a thread about the oil filters. Someone had an issue after an oil change. They had changed the filters and had a britpart fitted. They removed the britpart and fitted a more reputable filter make - it resolved the issue.

They inspected the filters - the britpart and the one that was on originally. They found that the britpart one had something like a 6mm hole compared to a 12 on the other. That can't be good for flow.

I promptly, before filling with oil, took the britpart filter off and fitted one manufactured by a reputable filter manufacturer.

I have now decided that for the relative small extra cost I will only fit filters by reputable manufacturers.

I wish you well in finding your problem and sorting it!
Post #868983 22nd Nov 2020 4:50pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
4RF RDS wrote:
Check your high pressure relief valve. It could be stuck open... normal pressure values below. Also do you know the engine history? Has the oil pump been replaced, repaired (sprocket bolt issue) etc.

Good luck Thumbs Up

http://www.discovery2.co.uk/Oil_pump_bolt.html

As above.

The pressure release valve is a small cylindrical shuttle valve on a spring. The smallest piece of grit can jam this open at any position or closed. For me it was open enough to have zero oil pressure at idle but could get to 2 bar whilst driving, dropping to zero again at idle. Sound familiar??

Drop the sump, replace the oil pump bolt whilst you are there and clean out the pressure release valve (behind the cap with the torx head). You may need a pair of long nosed pliers to grab the valves knob. Fine hone, grease and replace.

This is an easy DIY job, no life required, but under cover is preferable Wink

I only knew of this problem the day i installed my Madman. That might sound familiar as well. Thumbs Up Love that gauge...
Post #869350 24th Nov 2020 3:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1