↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Wireless winch remote control unit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Wireless winch remote control unit
Does anyone have any recommendations and real-world experience of aftermarket wireless winch remote units, and have any recommendations of what is good and what is not, please?

There seems to be a plethora of (generally) cheap Chinesium products swamping the market, and I am generally averse to these. I'd be interested to know of any experiences good or bad with such things.

Does anyone know what the professionals use on recovery trucks, etc?

Thanks in advance....
Post #847834 3rd Aug 2020 4:50pm
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
I haven't got any direct experience but was tempted by this one as a mid-range option; I didn't want a Chinese one:
http://www.goodwinch.com/shop/electrical/m...em-12v24v/

I also fitted my winch power system with a dual-channel E-Stop arrangement just in case the remote system ever malfunctioned (wired or wireless) and wired up to be able to operate with wired as a back-up.

Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread

Mobile Diesel Heater Build Thread
Post #847836 3rd Aug 2020 4:58pm
Matt110

United Kingdom 
In my experience there are three levels...

Level 1 is the super cheap chinesium ones.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303603727643
Dad has one, works ok, but not waterproof and the battery compartment is unsealed. Range is acceptable. But overall I must confess the quality is poor on both transmitter and receiver. It's still working but fails when dunked till dried out.

Level 2 is what I've got on my 8274.
https://www.electricwinchshop.co.uk/heavy-...ntrol.html
The guys at this link were super helpful. The remote is from what I can tell very durable, mines not let me down yet. It comes in a (in my case bright red but looks like they've updated to black) rubber protection round it which does a good job of both sealing and protecting the remote. Remote is fairly large so it's not likely to get lost or damaged. Honestly I'm fairly impressed with mine. The remotes are available from a company who do good quality winch hoists for commercial applications and I spoke to them at the commercial vehicles show at the NEC a couple of years ago and they seemed a quality outfit. Gets (and got) my vote.

Then there's Lodar. I've not used them but what I love about the specs is that you can use them to control other 12v sources through having more buttons on the remote. Had I had the funds of have gone for a multi button multiple relay Lodar. But I don't honestly think I've lost that much in sticking with the one I got.

If you do get either one of the cheaper options, run sealer all round the receiver box as a primitive form of potting. They're susceptible to water ingress. But once sealed up do just fine.

Sorry the links don't work am on the mobile site and not sure how to do them.
Post #847850 3rd Aug 2020 5:54pm
Matt110

United Kingdom 
Turns out the links do work. As you were Very Happy
Post #847852 3rd Aug 2020 5:58pm
blackwolf

Thanks guys, liking the look of the Lodar, and all the options. Trying to think of what else I'd want to control remotely - freespool, etc.
Post #847864 3rd Aug 2020 6:42pm
Matt110

United Kingdom 
Doesn't have to just be winch stuff.... Lights etc also just as useful. Was my original plan Cool
Post #847865 3rd Aug 2020 6:44pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
blackwolf wrote:
Thanks guys, liking the look of the Lodar, and all the options.

Lodar, all the way,, Tried the cheap versions, and the not so cheap

https://www.lodar.com/build-your-lodar#!/2.../103314266

Build one to suit your needs here,, Mine controls IN/OUT,, Freespool and 12/24V winch California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #847911 3rd Aug 2020 8:56pm
HardCharger

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
The one thing I don't like about the wireless remotes is that there is a delay with the response of the winch compared to the buttons pressed or released. I'm not sure if this is still the case but it was in my installation.

When the truck drowned, the remote receiver shorted out and burned itself out causing all sorts of electrical gremlins. Once the receiver was removed, all was OK again. I now just rely on the wired remote which, I feel, in my situation, is more reliable.

But if there are newer units out there that can take getting dunked and have no delays in operation, I can be open to fitting a wireless unit again. Or, maybe get the option when fitting a new winch. Thumbs Up
Post #847928 4th Aug 2020 1:18am
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
I had one and lost it. Shocked I was stuck in head light deep mud and while climbing in I feel off the side and my remote (tight with a small rope to my wrist) caught something and the rope snapped after seriously damaging my skin. So no losse remotes for me anymore.

My CT Disco had a connector for the wired remote inside the car and I used that the most so after lossing the wireless remote I did that to my 90 too. In addition to that I have now a modified window switch on the dash to operate the winch. I really like that as I am in my seat if I winch myself out I am also in my seat if I have to winch somebody else out as I hold the brake with my left foot and raise the revs a little with my right foot.

Normally we help each other with spooling up the cable after winching so the driver can stay in it's seat. Only when gardening I have to spool up the cable myself. Mr. Green Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #847949 4th Aug 2020 7:20am
Mdm

United Kingdom 
lodar are what most of the recovery lads use.

its what i use although i do have a warn one for the trl winch and that's been great

if the lodar fails they have good warranty and rive sent 2 back over the last 20 years that have failed and both been replaced foc without any quibbles.

also you can speak to someone if you need help or advice if your fitting it to something unusual
Post #848023 4th Aug 2020 3:18pm
BogMonster

Falkland Islands 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I've tried two cheap ones and they were both crap. I now have a Lodar 9000 on both my 110s and I wouldn't buy anything else. The cheap ones had quite a delay on them, the Lodar is effectively instant, probably less than 0.25 sec. You can switch the unit off and on from the remote, and if you leave it on it shuts down after 30 min or so, to make sure the battery doesn't get drained. Basically - you get what you pay for!

My first one is probably 10 years old now and has never missed a beat except for the battery going flat on the remote. Just carry a spare battery in the cubby box (standard 9V PP9 battery) unless you have fitted a backup socket for the original winch controller, or switches in the cab. The hand controller fits nicely in one of the spaces under the steering wheel and the base unit will go under the seat (and is waterproof to a good standard).

http://www.goodwinch.com/shop/electrical/l...sing-3038/ ---
2006 Defender 110 SW 300Tdi • 2011 Ford Ranger XLT crewcab • 2015 Defender 110 Station Wagon Utility TDCi
Post #848674 8th Aug 2020 12:58pm
Yannis

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Corris Grey
I have used a cheap remote before that was awful, such a long overrun after letting off the switch. It was also attached to a cheap winch so that could have been some of the problem.

I now have the Warn remote attached to a Warn 9.5cti and it works absolutely fantastically.
Post #848779 9th Aug 2020 8:59am
blackwolf

I have a Warn remote for the Warn XD9000I on my Disco2 and the remote is great (the winch not so, and sadly the XD9000 has put me off Warn completely). I had toyed with the idea of using a Warn remote for the Defender's Husky but as with all Warn products you now pay a premium price for a non-premium product. If I'm paying top dollar I'd rather get top gear.
Post #848925 9th Aug 2020 9:22pm
BogMonster

Falkland Islands 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Get a Lodar. Even if you don't use it that often, if you go anywhere that you need to rely on a winch then you want it to work when you do! ---
2006 Defender 110 SW 300Tdi • 2011 Ford Ranger XLT crewcab • 2015 Defender 110 Station Wagon Utility TDCi
Post #848993 10th Aug 2020 10:23am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Get a decent winch with proper freespool and internal controls. Use plug in remote for respooling if only one person. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #849026 10th Aug 2020 12:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>