Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Hufflepuff wrote:
Tim in Scotland wrote:
€91000 Remember that is Euros and with the huge tax that Eire slaps on all cars
UK price for that car is around £53000

Ah fair point Tim.

I read recently on a different car forum that in the Netherlands (I think) the Defender was subject to a @€20k environmental tax Shocked
Post #844293 17th Jul 2020 4:55pm
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Right, so I’ve had my New Defender for nearly 2 months now. I’ve towed with it, been off road in it, driven motorways and parked in tight spaces. Here’s my initial thoughts (good and bad).

For context, I’ve lived with a Puma 110 since they came out – which I’m not getting rid of, had a D4 and a D5 and everything in between. My New Defender is a 110 First Edition D240 with a few extra toys.

Firstly, I’ll just say that I LOVE IT! I traded in my D5 and I’ve not looked back for 1 second. The D5 is awesome in many respects but, whilst it was objectively very good off road, I never felt comfortable taking it anywhere because of the tyres, the geometry and the fact that when you scratch it you somehow ruin it. The Defender, however (on 19” offroad tyres) feels unstoppable, makes you grin from ear to ear every time you get in it and feels like it wants to be challenged.

Driving characteristics:
Overall very civilised (obviously no point comparing to the original) but drives better than a D4 and almost as good as a D5. The D240 engine has to work hard and doesn’t have the endless torque of the 3L D5. It’s perfectly acceptable for general driving – just know you won’t be owning the outside lane of the M40. Handles bends very level, is smooth and doesn’t wallow (like the D4 did). Due to the higher profile tyres than my D5, it soaks up bumpy roads better too. Initially (first week), it felt jerky on the downshift but that seems to have disappeared and it’s smooth up and down the box. Conclusion: Very good - D200 might feel weedy.

Towing:
It’s a big, heavy 4WD so it tows like a boss. You don’t notice a 1800kg caravan behind you – except that the D240 doesn’t have as much torque as my old D5. All the usual towing gimmicks (cameras, lowering/raising the rear) etc. and I actually feel like I can reverse in a more controlled fashion – it might be that the rear wheels are closer to the towball.
WARNING: If you have an ALCO hitch with a long top handle, the rear wheel prevents you from fully opening the hitch! I have no idea how this got through testing. Hitching up is therefore a complete PITA.

Off road:
Of course it’s great. Really tall, with great geometry. Mine has off road tyres and hasn’t been troubled by deep mud, ruts or moderate climbs. I’ve not tried anything extreme but there are plenty of videos of people doing things way more involved than any of us will need to attempt. It’s undoubtedly the best vehicle off road that LR has ever released from factory (excluding mods). Width is the only issue down tight lanes but I’ve already had some proper scratchy tree moments and all’s well. Cameras are amazing fun for passengers but questionable use off road in most situations IMHO (I’m quite old school).

Living with:
There’s less load space than the D5 – which, in turn, had less than the D4. However, slab sides and a flat back make it very useable. The bed doesn’t fold completely flat if you have the 7 seat version (it does in the 5) but that doesn’t affect me and my tip runs – still swallows a ton (almost literally) of crap.
Interior is a LOVELY place to be. Super design and the seating position is back to D4 standards (sit on top, not within). You really feel special driving it and all passengers, front and rear, confirm that they prefer it – even if it isn’t as luxurious as the Discovery or RR. Functionally, it has everything you need and more (see below for limitations).

Things I particularly love:
• Driving experience – including seating. Exactly as it should be and class-defining.
• Feeling of invincibility. It’s hard to trace this to any one thing but – just like my old Defender – it gives you the sense that it’ll go anywhere and that you could be going to Morocco, not Tesco.
• Stripped out interior. More confidence to use it in the way a LR should be used. Fewer things to damage/rip/stain. And if you do, it somehow doesn’t seem to matter as much.
• Washable floors. Great for muddy boots, dogs and generally returning to acceptable state.
• That front shelf! My wife comments on how useful it is every time we go somewhere.

Things I don’t like:
• Limited covered places to put things in the front. Mine has a fridge instead of a cubby so it loses a place to soak up all those loose, rattly things that you accumulate.
• The fact that spare wheel interferes with an ALCO hitch assembly. Also, with a side opening door, it fowls on the jockey wheel handle! It’s possible but hitching up is a pain. I can’t quite see the solution (can’t mount the spare any higher without further compromising view; can’t have top opening door with a wheel on the back) but it’s a frustrating fiddle involving lots of raising and lowering of the rear to change the angle. Depends on trailer hitch geometry so I’m sure it doesn’t happen on all trailers.
• Clearview mirror. Personally it makes me feel queasy having a screen going backwards in my eyeline. Unlike a normal mirror, you have to adjust your depth of field when glancing at it – quite fatiguing. However, you don’t have to use it and I’m sure it’ll be awesome in certain circumstances.
• Battery cut-off. So here’s an irritation: After a couple of mins with the engine off and the ignition on, it tells me that battery is low and shuts down. I thought it was a bug but apparently it’s a feature!?! Essentially it means you can’t run fridge/awning lights/compressor… without the engine being on. We went to watch Car Park Theatre (Horrible Histories – do it if you have kids!) which required the radio to be on. We had to sit for 90 mins with the engine on! A solution is needed (alternative battery setup). Apparently this isn’t a new thing but I never remember it from my D4 or D5.

Things I’d recommend:
• Get the D240, not the D200. I can’t speak to the petrol versions.
• Personally, I think it looks best with a roof rack and plastic wheel arch extensions. It somehow completes the design. I also have the hilarious panier on the side but that’s growing on me. Roof rack compensates for smaller luggage area.
• Get off road tyres. They look great, there’s no appreciable road noise and you’ll feel invincible.
• I have the satin wrap. It looks awesome but is very expensive. I can’t speak for it’s longevity – I’ll report back – but wasn’t damaged by my encounters with the trees on narrow greenlanes.

There’s loads I can’t cover but if you have any specific questions, let me know and I’ll poke around and give you my honest feedback.

I hope this helps someone. Thumbs Up One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #846369 27th Jul 2020 11:30am
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Not sure if they are still available but I think alko used to do a special shortened handle to solve the spare wheel problem.
Post #846375 27th Jul 2020 11:54am
Tim in Scotland

I would concur with everything that you say Alan. Yesterday myself and another one joined in with an offroad day in the southern highlands, both on the OEM All Season tyres and had no problems whatsoever on very wet grass and on slippery muddy tracks, the other one I think went round the whole day except that bit in high box, I used low box and HDC rather than the TR settings. One thing I found this morning while washing off all the mud from yesterday was an amazing number of small stones stuck in the tyres treads, something I never experienced on the same run in my RRS on 22” road tyres. Until I can get the wheels off and the bradawl out to get the stones out of the treads, those following me will have to keep their distance!
I was expecting a bit of negativity from some “Classic Defender” and old Land Rover owners being out with a strictly LR based club but didn’t hear anything unpleasant, most people were rather curious as for all there it was the first time they had seen one (let alone two) other than on youTube or in magazines.

A couple of questions
A) have you noticed any water staining on the seat fabric - mine is Acorn and the drivers seat edge shows distinct staining from rain when the window was/ door has been opened in “weather” and the other one there has an ebony interior and he had the same staining as mine?
b) Which make of tyres are you running and how much noise do they make on the road? I ask because this is such a quiet car when it’s in the cruise that I might buy a 2nd set of wheels to put 19” AT’s on rather than take the OEM All Seasons off and replace them with 20” AT’s on the same wheels. Changing wheels for an offroad day is such a faff! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #846376 27th Jul 2020 11:57am
alantd

I've not noticed water staining on mine. I have the basic interior (standard one with First Ed). It's the part leatherette, part canvas weave in Khaki. I really like it and so far no staining - despite 2 kids dropping whatever they're eating in the back.
I did notice some staining on the centre console arm rest but that seemed to wipe off with a wet wipe.

Regarding tyres, I'm running the factor fit "off road" tyres. They're Goodyear Wrangler Duratec. Not too aggressive (not as pronounced as a BFG AT2 or equivalent) but they complete the look when compared with the all season tyres in my opinion.

No road noise to report. I'm sure they're noisier than the All Season but I've not noticed anything. I get more noise from the roof rack and engine than the road. I'd definitely recommend dropping to 19" or ever 18" for off road (depending on your engine and hence Brake diameter). I've not had to air down for any terrain yet but I'd only want to do that with a decent sized tyre wall. One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
Post #846387 27th Jul 2020 12:38pm
Tim in Scotland

Thanks for your post, much appreciated

Mine is a D240 First Ed like yours but in Pangea Green with Acorn interior, only extras I have are Security System, deployable tow hitch and the front under grille protection plate. More to come though as eventually this will replace my 1996 90 as my off-road toy and only car.

Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #846390 27th Jul 2020 12:43pm
Brucemknx

Australia 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Caledonian Blue
Things I don't like...
• The fact that spare wheel interferes with an ALCO hitch assembly. Also, with a side opening door, it fowls on the jockey wheel handle! It’s possible but hitching up is a pain. I can’t quite see the solution (can’t mount the spare any higher without further compromising view; can’t have top opening door with a wheel on the back) but it’s a frustrating fiddle involving lots of raising and lowering of the rear to change the angle. Depends on trailer hitch geometry so I’m sure it doesn’t happen on all trailers.

Alantd...
I have the same problem with my Pajero. Solved by using a tow bar extension. Then when uncoupling the trailer, just pull the pin and slide the tow ball off leaving just the extension bar. You'll need an adaptor to extend the wiring, and a bit of extra safety chain and a D shackle, but it works for me. The older Pajeros had the spare mounted off-center, but for some unknown reason, Mitsubishi changed it to dead centre. Even the tyre lifter accessory does not get it high enough.
Post #846605 28th Jul 2020 8:55am
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Not sure if a towbar extension would work in UK. Isn't the towball on the new Defender a swan neck type that electrically deploys from under the bumper? And also, even if it was a bolt on type, I'm not sure that an extension would be type approved for use on a new vehicle.
Post #846608 28th Jul 2020 9:23am
Tim in Scotland

When my TDi300 had a new chassis and suspension to the original spec fitted a few years ago the fresh suspension meant I couldn’t tow my Ivor Williams trailer without the back end of the trailer scraping along the ground. Ah, says the local IW agent this is very common with re-chassied Defenders and we have a £20 cure (this is in 2011 so prices will be higher!)
and he produced an extended draw pole for my trailer that cured the issue but also meant that the spare wheel no longer fouled the jockey wheel lifter. I would doubt you would be able to do it to a caravan but IW has a fix for trailers. I haven’t yet tried the trailer on the L663 Defender. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 28th Jul 2020 5:39pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #846610 28th Jul 2020 9:31am
Telemarkskier

United Kingdom 
alantd and Tim in Scotland; thanks both for your inputs with your reviews. Having ordered one I am pleased you are both enjoying the vehicles and your knowledge and information helps clarify issues relating to ownership.
Post #846683 28th Jul 2020 3:35pm
AT1963

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 Black LE Java Black
Thanks Alan for the review...if i get some money i will buy a 90 but sadly not yet Sad
Post #846691 28th Jul 2020 4:06pm
alantd

👍 One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
Post #847921 3rd Aug 2020 10:00pm
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
alantd wrote:
I've not noticed water staining on mine. I have the basic interior (standard one with First Ed). It's the part leatherette, part canvas weave in Khaki. I really like it and so far no staining - despite 2 kids dropping whatever they're eating in the back.
I did notice some staining on the centre console arm rest but that seemed to wipe off with a wet wipe.

Regarding tyres, I'm running the factor fit "off road" tyres. They're Goodyear Wrangler Duratec. Not too aggressive (not as pronounced as a BFG AT2 or equivalent) but they complete the look when compared with the all season tyres in my opinion.

No road noise to report. I'm sure they're noisier than the All Season but I've not noticed anything. I get more noise from the roof rack and engine than the road. I'd definitely recommend dropping to 19" or ever 18" for off road (depending on your engine and hence Brake diameter). I've not had to air down for any terrain yet but I'd only want to do that with a decent sized tyre wall.

Is there any chance you can post some good photos of your interior (in daylight) as I’m struggling to find good ones and I too have ordered the Khaki interior but not seen it in real life. Some photos I’ve seen it looks really brown in colour and others it looks really green. But none have been good clear pictures. The ones I saw at the dealer either had the Black interior or the light cream colour.
Thanks in advance! Sold the Puma Defender and bought a brand new Pangea Green 2020 Defender D240 S with a few factory extras!
Post #848016 4th Aug 2020 2:12pm
Tim in Scotland

The PowerfulUK’s p300 S has a khaki interior if you watch their videos. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #848017 4th Aug 2020 2:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12