↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > TDCi Autobox
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Andy McPandy

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Hi
I would like to know as well whether the 4 speed Ashcroft box is ok with the modern 6 speed modern Puma engine. I am also planning a auto conversion but the options for 6 speed auto from the likes of JE are so much more expensive than the 4 speed Ashcroft box.

Are 4 gears enough ? The 6 Speed JE box does look appealing.
Post #833042 24th May 2020 11:48am
trailbear

United Kingdom 
There will be others on the forum who have experience of the conversion I would have thought!
I think perhaps a phone call to David Ashcroft himself would perhaps answer the question you have asked.
I looked at the JE autobox conversion but I think at that price perhaps a little too steep for me.
Post #833202 24th May 2020 11:36pm
TheShrink

United Kingdom 
I would be extremely interested to hear how you have found your auto conversion experience. It makes a lot of sense to me and like you, over the period of intended ownership, the cost is not important.

Thanks,

James
Post #844678 19th Jul 2020 9:18am
trailbear

United Kingdom 
Still not there yet, beginning of the month for me.

There are a few others that have had this conversion carried out that seem to pop up on the forum now and again
Perhaps they may be better placed to answer your questions.

There will be the doubters and the “my mates mum’s granny’s hairdresser said “ but these seem to be those that do not speak from experience and those type of comments wont really affect my decision, as long as I can justify it to myself, I can live with that.

I don’t feel the need to drive like a madman ( anymore 😬 ) and am quite content pootling about at the speed limit.
After all the Defender is in my opinion a flying brick and for me it is just about making the vehicle a more pleasurable and capable drive. The 4 speed I think will be enough for me but others may prefer the 6 spd ( and the extra £3500 ) just down to personal choice.

I will however let you know my thoughts when the conversion is completed.
Post #844748 19th Jul 2020 6:13pm
Rod Bentley

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Auto Aintree Green
Just collected mine last week from Dave Ashcroft, Ashcroft Transmissions of Luton. A lovely, very well finished professional job.
I have some experience of auto Defenders. I have two 110s both are now autos. The older one is a 1999, started life as a TD5 manual. My brother in law and I put a 3.9 v8 in her, got rid of all the fuel injection and computer nonsense. She now runs on a 4 barrel Edelbrock. We also put an old mechanical ZF box in, again, no electronics nonsense, good old fashioned kick down cable like the old Borg Warners of the 60s and 70s. This is my workhorse daily driver and I love it. I get bored quite easily with motors but I never get get bored of driving that. I would like to claim credit for the spannering but it really has to go to my enthusiastic brother in law

Just had my newer TDCI done by Ashcrofts. I found Dave Ashcroft to be knowledgeable and approachable, he definitely knows his onions when it comes to transmissions. The finished job is superb, clearly done with care and thought. Drives beautifully, seamless gearchanges. The box on the TDCI is the electronically controlled version of the ZF4, a well proven gearbox. Torque converter locks up at around 55mph which makes for good cruising revs and economy. The manual 6 speed puma is a lovely drive, but oh dear me there are constant gearchanges to be done, far more more than in a manual TD5. I wondered how the 4 speed auto would cope against the 6 speed manual. I needn't have worried! The big test comes next weekend when I tow my caravan to Southwold for a week away. The van is a twin axled Bailey and has an all up weight approaching 2 tonnes. I will come back to this thread and let you know how I get on. The photos attached show the differences between Dave Ashcroft's professional job and the one done by brother in law on my old 110.
Can confidently give a strong recommendation for Ashcroft Transmissions and Defender auto conversion in general.
Post #846738 28th Jul 2020 7:23pm
trailbear

United Kingdom 
Well, I am so glad to hear that as on Thurs night / Fri morning I shall be making the long journey into deepest darkest Englandshire to deliver my vehicle ( 2014 110 ) to Ashcroft’s for the fitting of the Autobox conversion.

Dave Ashcroft has been very patient in his explanations and answers to my many questions re the conversion.

I like the driving experience of the Puma but also find the constant gear changing slightly laborious.

I am looking forward to the conversion as I switched to driving automatics a few years ago and can honestly say I wonder why it took me so long , Possibly an unfortunate accident to the clutch foot may have had something to do with my choice as well!

Also interested to hear how the towing works out, that’s possibly a consideration in the future.
Post #846771 28th Jul 2020 10:19pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
I have gone from a manual BMW to an Auto, the ZF 8 speed box is brilliant but I dont enjoy driving it as much as the manual anywhere except in town traffic, and even after 2 years it still gives me some scary moments when pulling out a junctions in heavy traffic as the slight delay in response feels like a long time when a car is bearing down on you, by comparison letting go of a clutch is instant. DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #846782 29th Jul 2020 6:47am
trailbear

United Kingdom 
I admit driving an auto box means having to adjust the way you drive from a manual but once you have managed that then I think for me the automatic transmission is a much more enjoyable drive.
I have a Mitsubishi L200 pickup as well as my 110 and it was bought new as my first autobox vehicle, once I realised the driving style was slightly different then it was easy. I certainly don’t think I would go back to a clutch now.
I find it a real pain when driving a manual vehicle now.
Post #846812 29th Jul 2020 8:59am
Rod Bentley

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Auto Aintree Green
I said I would come back to this thread when I had used my Dave Ashcroft converted 110 to pull my caravan (nearly 2 tonnes) out to the wilds of Suffolk. I used the M25 and the A12, the journey being approx 110 miles. The 110 2.2 Puma pulled strongly, the ZF box behaved faultlessly, changing up and down at appropriate rev and road speeds. The torque converter locked up at about 55mph at which point the engine revs would drop to around 1800. 60 mph (the towing max allowed) was easily achieved at a shade under 2000rpm and it felt like there was quite a bit in reserve. All in all a very pleasing result. I used low ratio to get the caravan off my drive, it’s about a 1 in 5 with a tight turn onto the road and a further steep uphill gradient. I’m sure it would have done it in high range but I just feel a bit sorry for the clutches so opt to use low range just for that.
All in all a very pleasing result and full marks to Ashcroft Transmissions.
Post #847523 1st Aug 2020 11:00pm
Ninja man

Hi ,am thinking of auto box conversion and would like to know how it effects insurance and does it effect fuel consumption much cheers
Post #849797 13th Aug 2020 7:00pm
trailbear

United Kingdom 
Well, I thought that perhaps it was time that I gave an update on my experience of the Autobox conversion that was done last month by Ashcroft Transmissions.
As I said previously, Dave Ashcroft and his staff were incredibly patient with the many Phone calls / weird and wonderful questions regarding the conversion.

I was a bit frazzled when I dropped the vehicle off after having driven down overnight from Scotland ( seemed like a good idea at the time ) and I was delighted and grateful that I was given a lift to the train station.

On picking up the vehicle, Dave have me a quick rundown of the operation of the conversion and then it was off to the next port of call for some more work not too far away.

Afterwards, the journey back up the road was so much more enjoyable than the trip down, coupled with the newly installed cruise control, the vehicle cruised up the road at a constant 65 mph around 2000rpm.
I haven’t had the chance to drive the vehicle much since coming up the road due to it going somewhere else but driving around locally not having to worry about changing gear every 2 minutes was a joy.

I only have to justify the expense to myself but I feel that I have made the vehicle more enjoyable to drive.
The conversion just looks like it was meant to be there and given what I have experienced so far, for me I have made the right choice.
Post #853950 2nd Sep 2020 11:11pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Thanks Guys... I will almost certainly go this route at some point, and thinking of doing it in the next 6 months (before summer 2021). All feedback will be read with interest!!!

I'll probably ask them to do another couple of upgrades (maybe even ATB) whilst in there, so it'll be a huge bill!, however she's a keeper (her 9th Birthday ion a few days time) and I have plans to drive her more now I sold my Volvo... Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #855472 11th Sep 2020 2:14pm
trailbear

United Kingdom 
Meant to say that I had an ATB fitted whilst the conversion was being done.
I will post photo’s of the console which has now been modified and trimmed in leather and I am very
happy with the result.
Post #855557 11th Sep 2020 9:20pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Trailbear, I know it’s not the most important thing, but does the conversion make the area around the transmission tunnel any quieter? Lower revs, less rattle etc? Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #855590 12th Sep 2020 8:08am
trailbear

United Kingdom 
I had the vehicle stripped out, soundproofed and carpeted which included taking the console out again and soundproofing the underside itself. This has definitely reduced the sound, rattles etc and makes listening to music and conversation a more pleasant experience, no more shouting ( unless you want to )
Post #855624 12th Sep 2020 10:41am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>