↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > INEOS Grenadier > Here it is...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 12 of 15 <123 ... 1112 131415>
Print this entire topic · 
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
The thing is, there’s a huge difference between having ‘all the tech‘ a modern buyer would expect of a clearly utilitarian vehicle, (Engine management, ABS, traction control, Sat Nav, media screen, BT connectivity, air con that works, heated seats, heated windscreen, electric windows, good stereo and speakers working with sensible levels of sound proofing), and the 467 ECUs that do all manner of things that modern urban owners seem determined to spec, yet which we owners of utilitarian 4x4s are capable of managing ourselves. I.e., opening your garage door, braking because you’re up the a*** of the car in front of you, warning of a crash because you’ve pulled out without using your wing mirror, slowing down to conserve fuel on long journeys, auto dimming your lights, spotting when it’s raining, knowing the difference between snow and sand. There’s so much tech in luxury cars these days that can on the one hand be seen as a useful ‘driver aid’ or could be seen as ‘dumbing drivers down’. That’s what’s been thrown into the New Defender, but is not ‘all the tech’ an average, current Defender would need or want, above and beyond some logical and timely creature comforts, and therefore not what I’d expect to see in the Grenadier. Just my opinion of course.... Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #842145 6th Jul 2020 5:00pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Bluest wrote:
There’s an article in the new LRO that came today. In it Ineos are quoted as saying the Grenadier will have all the tech, connectivity and safety that modern buyers expect.

There's a publication that's got to wonder if there's a future in their name?
Post #842148 6th Jul 2020 5:29pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Bluest wrote:
There’s an article in the new LRO that came today. In it Ineos are quoted as saying the Grenadier will have all the tech, connectivity and safety that modern buyers expect.

"Hey, Jim, I don't even have a mobile phone. Please bear that in mind". Whistle 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #842149 6th Jul 2020 5:36pm
mrd1990

Wales 2000 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
Andrew's done a video

Sums it up Thumbs Up
Post #842523 8th Jul 2020 11:15am
Ads90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
ASPW's take does sum it all up nicely.
But now it's got me excited, and it's still a long way off... Very Happy Crying or Very sad
Post #842533 8th Jul 2020 12:08pm
Supacat

Overlays were good:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #842543 8th Jul 2020 1:01pm
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
I think the Grenadier looks too dated and old fashioned to be a new vehicle. If it had come out in 2015 as a replacement to the Defender as that was stopping production I think it would have been fine but we’re going into 2021 now, 5 years after the Defender finished production and to me this just looks like a slightly tweaked Defender which admittedly I’m sure will have better on road manners and a great engine.
I think it will sell well to begin with but have a very limited market for longevity a year or two after the launch. Things have moved on.
Just my opinion and I know a lot of you will disagree, and I completely respect your views too Sold the Puma Defender and bought a brand new Pangea Green 2020 Defender D240 S with a few factory extras!
Post #847141 30th Jul 2020 9:11pm
Mossberg

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Aintree Green
Well I think you have raised a good point in old fashioned. To me this vehicle is not built on fashion, as I see fashion as something that is constantly moved forward for the sake of marketing and sales. I would hope this project is built on what the vehicle can do whilst cheekily acquiring an abandoned iconic style.

I like my Defender, though I have not had it long and hardly driven it yet. Mine is a 300 TDI and I want to learn to keep it in good condition by my own hand, which will take some learning, but I want to do that. To me, the Grenadier being able to replicate that will make or break this vehicle. I feel there are few modern vehicles these days that are suited to a home mechanic and wonder if this could fit the bill. Let's face it, how many Defender owners tinker with their vehicles because of their desire just to tinker?

I like the look of this vehicle (apart from the bonnet) and my only regret is that I will be unlikely to ever able to afford one.

I hope they do well and I hope they can back British manufacturing.
Post #848643 8th Aug 2020 8:48am
Supacat

There does appear to be a parallel with what's beginning to happen with "fast fashion", just a shame that JLR are tone deaf and heading in the wrong direction whilst mumbling about sustainability.
Post #848667 8th Aug 2020 11:51am
J77

Scotland 
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ineos/grenadier

£50k start price for those that can’t claim the VAT.
Post #848677 8th Aug 2020 2:24pm
Supacat

J77 wrote:
£50k start price for those that can’t claim the VAT.

Why don't you actually quote what the article says as it's not what you are saying?

Steve Fowler is not the best of motoring journos and it's not hard to pick apart what he says... anyone see anything wrong with this:

"Like the old Defender, the Grenadier’s chassis will feature a pair of beam axles, three locking differentials and a low-range transfer case."

I'll go check mine again, but I'm almost certain it's missing two locking differentials... Rolling Eyes

Fowler is a JLR fanboy, so the timing of the article ~ which has no new info and indeed is a month or two behind when most of us learnt any of the salient points ~ is a bit suspect.

I think lines like: "Regardless of the production site, the Grenadier is still some way off." and what he actually said on price (which is still Censored ) "That means a potential total starting price that’s closer to £50,000 for those who can’t claim the tax back through their business." are just naked attempts to push sales towards JLR.

The full context of the info on pricing is "On pricing, we understand that, in the current market, the Grenadier’s entry-price would start with a four." and the following is again Censored "However, with a classification of N1, it will officially be a commercial vehicle, so VAT will have to be added. That means a potential total starting price that’s closer to £50,000 for those who can’t claim the tax back through their business."
Post #848690 8th Aug 2020 4:40pm
J77

Scotland 
Sorry for my careless and misleading post Rolling Eyes
Post #848700 8th Aug 2020 6:26pm
Supacat

It's good to see you nailing your true colours to the mast. Thumbs Up
Post #848704 8th Aug 2020 7:07pm
J77

Scotland 
And my true colours are what exactly?
Post #848705 8th Aug 2020 7:10pm
Supacat

J77 wrote:
Sorry for my careless and misleading post Rolling Eyes

Let's start with appearing to be disingenuous - either apologise or don't - the choice is yours. What are the rolling eyes for?

Your post was factually incorrect.
Post #848709 8th Aug 2020 8:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 12 of 15 <123 ... 1112 131415>