↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > INEOS Grenadier > 1st July....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
CDN38 wrote:
I really hope they bring this to North America, if it doesn't go to the US, I doubt it would come to Canada, as we are a small market compared to the US.

Scuttlebut is that they will be. Thumbs Up
Post #841012 1st Jul 2020 12:54pm
ngins

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Just watched the video - I like it mostly - very defender-esque. Not sure about the front end - looks a bit like it's eaten a Honda "e"
Post #841038 1st Jul 2020 2:09pm
Setok

Finland 
90 Dreamer wrote:
EV (and Hybrid EV in particular) is simply another 'diesel gate' whilst they kick the can further down the road in the name of the "environment"........

I'm seriously considering an EV at the moment (and I have a Cybertruck reservation, but there's no info about when, if ever, it will arrive in Europe). The thing is, I'm not really doing it for environmental reasons. EVs have huge other benefits:

* Can charge at home, which would then cover 90% of my driving (no driving around looking for a fuel pump, standing outside in the rain with a nozzle in my hand)
* Instant and easily controllable torque + one-pedal driving (the regen can slow the vehicle to a stop)
* Smooth, quiet
* No oil changes, no chains, no transmission oils, new gearboxes, clutches etc etc. Even brakes see far less use
* Have a car ready chilled or heated by the time you walk out, or climate controlled with the dog inside (you can even camp in them)
* (With the Cybertruck) have electric tools hooked up

We took out a Tesla Model 3 for an extended test drive and there is absolutely no doubt about it: that is the future. Even on longer trips the charging is pleasant: you will want to pee or take food breaks. Drive up, plug it in, and walk off to grab a sandwich (which I certainly would be doing anyway along a trip) and get back and ready to go.

This is all coming from someone who really likes mechanical things. I really dig what Ineos is doing but yeah, I do kind of wish they had designed it around an EV platform. To do an EV well you also need to design it to be that, not just chuck in a battery instead of the combustion engine.
Post #841066 1st Jul 2020 4:00pm
Ads90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
Agree Setok, when you've driven & decided you can accommodate an EV in your life, then to spend big on an ICE powered car doesn't sit well, and the only disappointment for me so far with the Ineos is that it's not on an EV platform.
The Cybertruck certainly, and possibly the Rivian too will both be too big for my use - I live down narrow country lanes & have a tight spot to park in - the Cybertruck would look absolutely ridiculous around here (think Schwarzenegger in his Hummer) - the Ineos is otherwise looking good, but I may just end up EV-converting my 90 at some point.
Post #841089 1st Jul 2020 5:18pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
It's mentioned in their most recent video that in the future they will introduce a hydrogen powered version. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #841106 1st Jul 2020 6:00pm
Setok

Finland 
Ads90 wrote:

The Cybertruck certainly, and possibly the Rivian too will both be too big for my use - I live down narrow country lanes & have a tight spot to park in - the Cybertruck would look absolutely ridiculous around here (think Schwarzenegger in his Hummer) - the Ineos is otherwise looking good, but I may just end up EV-converting my 90 at some point.

The size of the Cybertruck worries me too, as does the fact Teslas depend a lot on electronics and are not easily DIY serviceable. The Bollinger would have been more my thing, but the price is prohibitive. Overall there are currently very few options in the hardcore utility 4x4 EV space, so it could have been great to have seen a British point of view. There could be quite some potential in that space. There are reports Jeep is already looking at it.
Post #841145 1st Jul 2020 7:57pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Sorry EV currently is just swapping one form of emissions with another equally as dirty, potentiay more so when you look at the human & habitat exploitation to gain the battery materials.......

Some form of hydrogen or other alternate fuel would seem far 'better' in the long run....
Post #841155 1st Jul 2020 8:22pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
EV has a way to go to clean up the battery tech but we have to do something whilst other options such a clean Hydrogen production/infrastructure get up and running. We need vehicles that leave any kind of pollution at the factory and energy source and don't go spewing it around everywhere they go. The focus can then be on making the source cleaner and manufacturing ethical. I can see EV and Hydrogen both playing a part in the future much like Diesel and Petrol. I'm very lucky and often get the opportunity to charge our BEV entirely from private solar, apart from the battery manufacturing I feel quite good running it on solar but my eyes are wide open when i plug it into the council charger in the city Neutral 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #841178 1st Jul 2020 8:54pm
Orchard

Supacut - No skin in the game, just a Land Rover owner. 2015 90 XS SW Bowler
1998 TD5 CSW
Post #841224 2nd Jul 2020 7:03am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345