Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Oztent RV4 Weight and size concerns
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Driver4

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Corris Grey
Oztent RV4 Weight and size concerns
Hi there.

I am considering purchasing an Oztent RV4. This I envisage carrying on the Hannibal roof rack on my 90XS.

My wife and I struggle somewhat with the weight of our canoes when on /off loading and as the RV4 is a similar weight wondering if that might also be an issue? More so as it is a shorter length unit.

At least the canoes once on slide on the roof rack quite easily. I also have concerns about prematurely damaging the carry bag. When traveling through an area it is an on/off daily. It is not my intention to have canoes and RV4 on at the same time. I am aware that there is an aftermarket RV4 basket.

Does anyone have experience of using the RV4 in winter. What might be the issues travelling for days on end with a wet folded tent. Did I ought to also purchase the fly sheet to reduce condensation or will air vents/windows kept open negate that. I have a G stove/frontier stove and wish to use that does anyone foresee any major issues or can offer advice in that particular area?

I live on the Devon Somerset border and was hoping that there might be somebody within the wider Westcountry catchment area that I might make arrangements to travel to view their RV4 and judge the weight and 'heftability' onto the Land Rover.

This might be asking rather a lot but unless you ask...……..!
Thanks in advance.
Post #839851 26th Jun 2020 1:25pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I have the entire kit for sale, if it's of interest:

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic73055.html

The tent is quite heavy but I've been managing it single-handed for years. I do find that a hop-up helps (and is useful for other stuff too) so always take one when camping.

The tent is very robust and I've never had any problem with packing it away wet and drying later. Careful packing means that the inside stays dry.

The flysheet is a very good idea. It helps enormously in the summer, too.

I live a bit of a trek from the West country but you're more than welcome to come and take a look. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #839855 26th Jun 2020 1:35pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I have an RV5 which have used a lot. I've spent maybe 2 to 3 months in it in total in the last 2 years.

Condensation can be a problem unless you keep the vents open, even on cool nights in summer. I'd imagine winter could be pretty bad. I don't know how much difference a fly sheet would make.

I transport mine on 4 Flatdog roof bars. The bag is fine as long it's lashed tight and can't chaff on anything. I got a small hole when it was rubbing against a lashing eye. The basket would be better.

We normally only stay in one place for a night or 2, so it is on and off the roof a lot. I can do it on my own using a sort of caber toss technique starting with tent on its end on the ground, but do wonder about putting my back out 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #839857 26th Jun 2020 1:40pm
Driver4

Thank you.
That helps somewhat.
I really wish I could view one reasonably locally. Perhaps there might be somebody on this forum that can help.
Mike
Post #839860 26th Jun 2020 1:44pm
Intercept

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 Black LE Java Black
I've had an RV4 for 10+ years and since then have also acquired an RV3 and an RV1, so from that you can see that I don't consider the original purchase to be a mistake. They are superb tents that interface well to Defenders and also don't look entirely out of place when pitched with military vehicles. The pic below shows my RV4 with front panel deployed as an extra awning to the 101 and the side awning linked to the Sankey trailer.

Click image to enlarge

Mine travels on the Defender's Frontrunner rack when we're in that vehicle and is easy to lift into place, one end at a time, partly because of the DCPU's tailgate. However, I keep all the poles and accessory sheets in another long bag, so the RV4 back only contains the main part of the tent. As is often the case with tent bags they're not exactly generously sized. If the height of the rack is a problem for loading, then a roller at the back could help.

Click image to enlarge

If you're considering winter camping then you'll probably already know that tents are for shelter and clothing + sleeping mats+bags are for warmth. Any warm/moist air inside a single skin tent that doesn't escape through a vent will cause water to condense on the cold walls. People say that the flysheet improves things, but it is marginal in my experience. The fly is far better for keeping the sun off the tent in summer thus reducing the solar gain inside. It also means that the inside stays dark for longer, which is nice if you're allowed a lie-in. That said, the ventilation options on an Oztent RV are very good and all openings have mozzie net.

In your quest for a local viewing, there is a large community of friendly Oztent owners on Facebook. It is a private group so you'll need to request membership. https://www.facebook.com/groups/oztentowners/
Post #839880 26th Jun 2020 3:54pm
Driver4

Thank you Intercept.
Thank you that was most informative.
Especially the FB link.
It was not my intention to run the stove overnight inside the RV. I perhaps did not make that clear enough. More as an evening focal point beneath the RV's awning. I come from a Bergan and Bivvy bag environment so this is palatial luxury!!
Post #839886 26th Jun 2020 4:33pm
strang

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
I travelled through Morocco last year carrying a Howling Moon WIZZ 24 (similar to an Oztent) on a Patriot roof rack on my 90. I thought it was well strapped down but still managed to wear a small hole in the tent bag where it rested on the end of the roof rack over the front screen. I think if I had had some kind of pad there (thinking one of those rubber gardening kneeling pads) it might have provided some protection. Euro-Leafing to infinity and beyond.....
Post #839914 26th Jun 2020 6:20pm
bear100

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Ive been using my RV4 for...... got to be 10 years now and yes it is a bit on the heavy side but your not going far with it, roof rack (will also fit in the cab of a 110 resting on the cubby box) to your pitch next to the defender.
i have a double Ozpod which keeps it safe and dry. LandRoverAnorak above is selling one and i highly recommend them they are so rare too

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 2016 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 TDV8
2010 110 XS Utility 2.4TDCI
2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 (gone)
2007 Discovery HSE TDV6 (gone)
1993 110 csw 200 tdi (gone)
1994 90 HT 300 tdi (gone)
1994 discovery 300tdi (gone)
90 hybrid 3.5 v8 (gone)
Range rover bobtail 3.5 v8 (gone)
Post #839921 26th Jun 2020 6:42pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Andrew james

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Indus Silver
Mike,
I live near Honiton and have a couple of Rv5's if you wish to come along and have a look.
As above, they are cumbersome but I manage to get them on a roof rack with a hop-up, by myself

Andrew
Post #839923 26th Jun 2020 6:58pm
Driver4

Thank you guys.
I note 'Strang's' comments about the additional padding having travelled through Marok on a couple of occasions I know only too well about some of the 'tracks and roads'.

'Bear100's' input. Is also noted.

'Andrew' Thank you for your kind invite. I need to check a few diary entries for next week but perhaps I can PM you with a view to coming along to view your set up. Do you store your RV on a Land Rover by any chance?

Some useful info and pictures here.

Thank you.
Post #839939 26th Jun 2020 7:47pm
Andrew james

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Indus Silver
My defender is a daily drive, so I put the roof rack on and load it up for camping trips, when I need to.
Weekends are easier, if you wish to visit Thumbs Up
Post #839940 26th Jun 2020 7:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1