↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Tow bracket arms - tapered thread??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ppad

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
Tow bracket arms - tapered thread??
5 yrs ago the tow bracket was removed for a NATO hitch, needs to go back on. So, on the corner of the chassis is a threaded hole c/w captive nut on the back. But what came out all those years looks tapered and a new std bolt, when it reaches the nut - nope.

The pics are clear enough .. - where and what and how do I get new bolts for the tow bracket arms?
Thanks experts.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Sold the much modified 110 2.8, in Oz
Brought the 90 home from Switzerland ...
Post #839666 25th Jun 2020 4:08pm
htb2

Scotland 
That bolt just lost the threads whilst extracting from nut. I would run a tap into the captive nut and use new bolts.
Post #839676 25th Jun 2020 4:41pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
They are not tapered. As above that thread is just damaged. I expect the arm was under tension putting an angle on the bolt when it came out. Recut the thread in that captive nut. If you don't have a tap you can grind a taper onto a bolt and cut two longitudinal slots across the thread and tap with that. Just check thread pitch first. Are they not fine thread those nuts? I can't recall.

Other option is drill damaged thread completely out and use longer bolt with suitable washer and nut behind drilled out bolt. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #839694 25th Jun 2020 5:13pm
Pacha

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
From memory they are M12 (std pitch) 40mm long (measure what came out) - high tensile. Rgds.

Chris
Post #839715 25th Jun 2020 6:32pm
ppad

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
Thanks for all the info.

The 'other option' I was tempted to do yesterday, just steadily clean it out and have something permanently different - so long as captive nut is securely welded, all OK.

In the interests of learning, never too old, do you know of tap die sets at reasonable price? Screwfix is 20 quid to 100 ... - and that ain't worth it. Sold the much modified 110 2.8, in Oz
Brought the 90 home from Switzerland ...
Post #839832 26th Jun 2020 12:01pm
Philm

United Kingdom 
Any decent garage or workshop will have a set, see if you can lend them, do it in their car park.
If you were closer, I would have lent you a set.
Post #839836 26th Jun 2020 12:19pm
jst

^^^^ make one Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #839847 26th Jun 2020 1:04pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Just to throw a curve ball at this. Whistle

It's the correct bolt, and it is tapered.

On the genuine LR tow kit for a 90 Td5 or Puma, these M12 bolts are a form of self tapper into the corner of the fuel tank cradle.

RYP501120

On aftermarket kits they use standard M12 bolts/screws and nyloc nuts inside, instructing you to drill out the hole in the corner of the cradle to 13mm. Link to aftermarket instructions: https://www.defender2.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10002/R28.pdf

With the 110 genuine kit, you remove the lash down eyes, then refit through the arm. But the 90 is different. See step 8 of the fitting instructions, it is labelled as a "self tap" screw.

Click image to enlarge

PDF: https://www.defender2.net/gallery/albums/u...r%2090.pdf

Either reuse (not really Laughing ), replace the bolt (pn RYP501120) Thumbs Up or drill out the cut thread in the cradle and use a standard M12 replacement with a nyloc on the inside as per aftermarket fit.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #839853 26th Jun 2020 1:32pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
htb2

Scotland 
ues
We stand corrected, will bow to the modern practice but will personally stick to old school techniques
Post #839883 26th Jun 2020 4:11pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I think you'll find that the original screws (they're not bolts because they don't have an unthreaded portion) are a thread-forming type, probably TaptiteĀ®, although there are other makes. These are not strictly tapered, but have a special trilobular shape and threadform which rolls, rather than cuts, a thread in the hole. A rolled thread is stronger than a cut thread for a variety of reasons. Once assembled they are rather more "snug" and vibration-resistant than a conventional fastener.

They can be reused with care if they're in good condition (which the OP's are not) but you must be careful not to cross-thread them and roll a second destructive thread in the hole. Quite often it is easier to replace them once removed with a conventional set screw of a non-thread-forming type. Dont use them with conventional nuts, either.

In this particular case I'd drill out the hole and use a nyloc on the back, assuming that there is room.
Post #839888 26th Jun 2020 4:56pm
jst

I stand corrected Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #840028 27th Jun 2020 12:57pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
blackwolf wrote:
I think you'll find that the original screws (they're not bolts because they don't have an unthreaded portion) are a thread-forming type, probably TaptiteĀ®, although there are other makes. These are not strictly tapered, but have a special trilobular shape and threadform which rolls, rather than cuts, a thread in the hole. A rolled thread is stronger than a cut thread for a variety of reasons. Once assembled they are rather more "snug" and vibration-resistant than a conventional fastener.

They can be reused with care if they're in good condition (which the OP's are not) but you must be careful not to cross-thread them and roll a second destructive thread in the hole. Quite often it is easier to replace them once removed with a conventional set screw of a non-thread-forming type. Dont use them with conventional nuts, either.

In this particular case I'd drill out the hole and use a nyloc on the back, assuming that there is room.

Come on Blackwolf you know that non engineers call everything a bolt that has a hex head and stop using technical terms they can't understand "trilobular shape". I had to get my reference books out. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #840182 28th Jun 2020 10:42am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1