↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Land Rover Customer Relations > My new New Defender iT / app issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

My new New Defender iT / app issues
Dear LRCS,
I have purchased a First Edition 110 D240 That I collected from the dealership last Friday. I have previously owned 12 other LR products over 30 years But was getting fed up with non-assistance and unbelievable non cooperation over extended warranties for an Sdv6 Range Rover Sport HSE Dynamic and vowed never to buy another new LR product again and purchased a Mini Countryman PHEV in 2018 when I really wanted another LR. At the same time I placed a £1000 deposit with my local Land Rover dealer on New Defender to replace my 1996 90.
2 years down the line I have exchanged a completely faultless Mini for the first edition and before I’ve even got it home I cannot activate the LR Incontrol Remote App. I re-opened my MyLandRover `InControl App and it even told me that it knew I had a new Defender, and it already knew the registration number. I competed everything and received an email from the system stating I had completed the full activation of my account and to now download and set up my app on my iPhone.
After downloading the app I tried to log in - “incorrect email address or password” it has continued to tell me this evening though I am using the email I always use and the password I entered to the InControl account. Today I tried to change the password to see if that would help but the response this time was an email from the system stating that I haven’t completed the registration of my account fully even though I have an email from last week advising me that I have completed everything and verified it. On handover of the car last Friday the salesman and I tried for 45 minutes to access the smartphone app but we couldn’t get in, yet the same log in is used for my inControl Account At MyLandRover.com and we could access that no problem. Today I have had a long conversation again with the dealership and we get no further. Please can you assist because this is something simple and when I raised it with your iT people by email last week I received the totally useless reply to “ Discuss it with the dealership who will be able to fix it”. This is spoiling what was a retirement present to myself and it is the first of 12 LR cars I have paid cash for - it’s so disappointing it makes me feel like I should dump the car on the dealers forecourt and take back my money and my faultless Mini. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 16th Jun 2020 3:26am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #837413 15th Jun 2020 9:08pm
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
And so it begins.

Sorry to hear of the IT issues. Welcome to the D5 world of LR customer service interaction Shocked 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #837423 15th Jun 2020 9:48pm
DG123

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I treated myself to an ex-demo D2 in 2003 and after my experiences with the main dealer vowed never to buy another LR product again. Fast forward 13 years with a fading memory and the optimism of a good deal on a 110 I made the same mistake again Banging Head

I have been involved in the intervening years with family vehicle purchases from BMW, VW, Renault, Ford, Citroen and whilst none of these were outstanding their customer service is light years ahead of any LR dealer I’ve had the misfortune to get involved with. I was actually glad when the warranty ran out on the 110 so I could sort it myself without feeling guilty. I’ve just seen on the news LR are laying off another 1000+ contract workers. If I was them I’d have a close look at the dealer network to see why they aren’t selling.

I really hope you get the chance to enjoy your new Defender. They have grown on me and probably would be my ideal vehicle. For me though, the above still applies (plus I’d need to sell some body parts). If they do prove a success, in spite of the dealership network, I’ll definitely be looking in 3/4 years time. 2012 110 XS SW Orkney Grey
2003 D2 Td5 Black [SOLD]
Post #837426 15th Jun 2020 10:23pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Hello

Such a SORRY state of affairs.... now they have YOUR money and you have the car communication channels and common decency seems to go out of the window.

This isn't just with cars its with many things but with cars being 'SO' expensive it does annoy somewhat more. No one seems to care anymore or take any time with the customer.

A real shame that a brand new car you were looking forward to has a dark cloud over it already Neutral

As aside my Dads FFRR went in the other day for a quote on a wooden gate post that has a scuff the front bumper... they quoted £900 to fix !!! I will take a picture if he comes in it again, unbelievable. OOh and just so you feel a bit better, they 'upgraded the informatics' it went off 3 different times to a blank screen which meant 3 trips back to the dealers.... this upgrade it should be able to do automatically sat on his drive.... nope....

Anyway I do hope you get it sorted nothing worse than the frustration of a new gadget not working. Hope this isn't a sign of things to come with these.....
Post #837454 16th Jun 2020 7:28am
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
It's a pity that the icing has been knocked off the cake for you Tim and I hope you get it sorted pdq. Having just re-read that sentence I noticed something fundamentally wrong with it - I said "I hope YOU get it sorted".

Well that shouldn't be the case it is up to the selling dealer (in collaboration with the factory) to sort it. I worked for a major international industrial and construction equipment manufacturer for most of my career, spending most of my time in customer service. Our whole ethos when it came to customer service was to "take ownership". As soon as we received a complaint about a problem we immediately took it out of the hands of the customer and we took ownership of the problem.

My experience of JLR and its dealers has been mixed but in general it has always been me pushing to have a problem resolved and not them taking ownership of the problem.

We all know that teething problems go hand in hand with new models but any problems should be actioned quickly with the minimum of inconvenience to the customer - after all we are doing JLR a favour by helping them to iron out early problems and road testing their design. Good luck Tim and let's hope JLR get their finger out so you can enjoy your new vehicle. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #837500 16th Jun 2020 11:25am
Tim in Scotland

LRCS are now on the case! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #837503 16th Jun 2020 11:36am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Perhaps we could suggest a new purchase scheme for JLR, along these lines.

You buy the car and pay, say 50% of the price to the dealer. At the same time you put the remaining 50% in Escrow to be paid to JLR after two years if the car has been faultless and the service likewise, or back to you if the car and/or service has left something to be desired. It might focus the corporate mind on after-sales performance.
Post #837519 16th Jun 2020 1:25pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Tim in Scotland wrote:
LRCS are now on the case!

If you are really unlucky Gerry will give you one of his used gravats...... Shocked
Post #837536 16th Jun 2020 3:06pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Blackwolf - is it your intention to bankrupt JLR? Rolling with laughter Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #837537 16th Jun 2020 3:10pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
What is a disgrace is not the fact that it doesn't work, it's the fact no one seems to care.

Anything can go wrong. It's how the problem is dealt with is the marker.

So sorry to hear this, Tim.
Post #837538 16th Jun 2020 3:13pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
discomog wrote:
Blackwolf - is it your intention to bankrupt JLR? Rolling with laughter

I don't think they are far off that, without Blackwolf's help Rolling Eyes
Post #837539 16th Jun 2020 3:14pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Tim in Scotland wrote:
LRCS are now on the case!

But running in stealth mode, which rather negates the point of this sub~forum?

However, in their defence, I do feel it is poor etiquette for people to post, sometimes off topic, sometimes negatively, immediately after the initial request from the OP. Shouldn't the thread be left until LRCR have had an opportunity to respond and then others are free to comment if invited by the OP.

Otherwise, the only people posting should be the OP and LRCR. The benefit for the rest of us, with a watching brief, is we get the information on topics of interest and see what the approach to each is from JLR.

If people feel they want to add their words of wisdom to the OP or the rest of the forum, then they can do so with a PM or start a separate thread in another section.

Creating a hostile environment for the JLR employee seems both unfair and counter~productive.

Of course, I've gone against what I am saying above in posting this, but after the OP has confirmed LRCS are dealing with the issue outside of this sub~forum, it ihas effectively circumvented the purpose of the section.
Post #837581 16th Jun 2020 5:27pm
Tim in Scotland

As well as posting the message here I copied and pasted it into a PM to Dan at LRCS so he might not have looked Here before replying to me. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #837602 16th Jun 2020 6:33pm
Pacha

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Censored Censored Censored Banging Head Rgds.

Chris
Post #837628 16th Jun 2020 7:57pm
Tim in Scotland

I just keep telling myself “ remember it’s a Land Rover, maybe switch off for 10 minutes and perform a reset” but that didn’t work - today no parking sensors and no cameras available............ tried multiple times no joy. Maybe because it’s too hot outside at a tropical for Scotland 22C....... Rolling with laughter Wrong atmospheric conditions for a UK model......... My Evoque owing next door neighbour now tells me I should have kept the faultless Mini, and he’s watching my experiences very carefully as he’s looking to replace his 2012 Evoque Pure with a new Defender 90 in 2021........better keep your faultless Evoque Richard! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 17th Jun 2020 2:44pm. Edited 4 times in total
Post #837817 17th Jun 2020 2:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>