Home > Expedition & Overland > Expedition equipment Fridge/Freezer etc
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
LANDROVER

United Kingdom 
Expedition equipment Fridge/Freezer etc
Isolation is sending me crazy Laughing

Been literally stuck at home since March....my big plans of camping in my 110 are fresh in my mind every morning as I squeeze past the roof tent in the house Rolling with laughter

Lots of things I want to do to get the setup right. Once I have it setup I will do a test run or two before making big trips.

I thought of just putting a 1000W Invertor and a table top fridge and table top freezer in the back.
At least I can use the inverter for charging drone etc.
Or just get a insulated cool box and put ice in when leaving to keep everything cool.

I read the Bearmach fridge thread and got confused as many options are discussed.

Basically is there a cheap option of Fridge or combined Fridge Freezer.

This will be my first try of real camping. So not wanting to get carried away in case I hate it.

I also will need;
Gas stove or a cooking method
Water pump.
Water storage
Diesel Heater - piped into tent
Camping Toilet

Ideally all the camping accessories will be fitted into the Ifor Williams top on the back of my 110DCPU.
I'm basically going to be using it in Scotland. Maybe Europe if I'm brave!

Any other suggestions welcome Thumbs Up
Post #834115 29th May 2020 7:16pm
Matt110

United Kingdom 
I was recently very excited to find a 125L compressor driven fridge advertised in the latest LRO, from raptor 4x4.

All for the rather amazing price of £326.28.

Great i thought.

Its a typo.

https://www.raptor4x4.co.uk/expedition-sec...idges.html

Its actually £609. Nearer the mark....
Post #834121 29th May 2020 7:34pm
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
The van life brigade run standard household fridges off inverters with no noticable issues.

Space would be the biggest issue in a Landy i can see.

I looked into the Bearmach ones, the smaller of the 2 and couldn't find any.

I did find another brand which is identical in build and looks to the bearmach at the same price, i'll try and dig out the name.
Post #834124 29th May 2020 7:50pm
LANDROVER

United Kingdom 
Just seems so much money Big Cry

I've seen some nice stuff from ARB, Waeco and others. I can't justify the cost unless I know I will get the use out of it.

I'm only hoping to get the time to do this now. When I come out of Isolation I might not even get any time off so I'm so reluctant to spend too much.

I love all the pull out draws and slide out fridges, maybe in the future
Post #834125 29th May 2020 7:53pm
pj2106

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
I’m about to order the 80l fridge freezer Polarbox from Steve at Raptor 4x4 saw it at the expo in Feb and it’s a cracking bit of kit

Mention Landrover Legends and he will look after you👍 2008 110 2.4 XS Utility (Hagrid)
2002 90 TD5 Hardtop (Sully) Sold
1998 300TDi D1 (Billy) Sold
Post #834131 29th May 2020 8:08pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
I’m not a fridge fan as we have never used one .. .however - for how to set up your camping side there are 3 current camper builds on the forum - both are worth taking a look ... each has lots of great info and inspiration for your build ... we all have different approaches, but the end result is to make a camper that suits our own set of needs. Thumbs Up

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic71382.html - Timcat has bee covering Henri

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html - .... I have been converting Poppy

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic71956.html - and Badger has been making a dormobile camper Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #834134 29th May 2020 8:13pm
Timcat

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
We have an ARB 47L & for us it’s a couldn’t do without item. On trips over a month we fill it full of steak / prawns / chicken ect ect and set it to freeze.
Also great for beer & wine, throw them in for 10 mins & ice cold. Yes silly expensive ( bought ours at Billing from Flatdog at a big discount)
Have a look at the icytec cool boxes which are worth a look.
Post #834188 30th May 2020 7:35am
LANDROVER

United Kingdom 
wyvern wrote:
I’m not a fridge fan as we have never used one .. .however - for how to set up your camping side there are 3 current camper builds on the forum - both are worth taking a look ... each has lots of great info and inspiration for your build ... we all have different approaches, but the end result is to make a camper that suits our own set of needs. Thumbs Up

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic71382.html - Timcat has bee covering Henri

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html - .... I have been converting Poppy

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic71956.html - and Badger has been making a dormobile camper

Thank you for the links. I think I have seen them but will look again now Cool
I love looking at the build threads.

Wyvern you say you never use a fridge. Do you just avoid using any perishable goods for camping? Are you just using tinned and dry foods? I had not really considered that! Thumbs Up
Post #834205 30th May 2020 9:09am
LANDROVER

United Kingdom 

Click image to enlarge

Because I have a double cab, space is a little lacking!
Mine should look similar to this except no cage yet.

I have put the Ifor William on to give a covered rear area for essential equipment.
Plus I can remove the rear seats if necessary.
Post #834206 30th May 2020 9:12am
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
Derv heater will fit under the rear seats. A 5kw one *just* fits and is overkill for a tent and a DC a proper 2kw one will fit no issues. I mounted the tank in the rear wheel arch, filled from a hole in the boot/wheel arch. Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #834208 30th May 2020 9:51am
Timcat

Agree a 2kw is toasty.... I’ve got this kit but paid £450.00 for it.

https://planarheaters.co.uk/shop/ols/produ...2-volt-kit
Post #834218 30th May 2020 10:18am
wyvern

[quote="LANDROVER"]
wyvern wrote:

Wyvern you say you never use a fridge. Do you just avoid using any perishable goods for camping? Are you just using tinned and dry foods? I had not really considered that! Thumbs Up

Not to get in to the needing/not needing a fridge debate as there are a lot of differences of opinions - this is just our thoughts -

Fridges are very large heavy items and take a lot of management for power. They need mounting and are very expensive.
We cycled round the world for 6 yrs so never had the need of a fridge then - so have not seen the need to have one now - we have come up from a tent with sleeping mats, 4 small bags for all our possessions and 3 ltrs of water each into a landrover with a double bed, space water tank and heating - so its luxury already !

We like to see the places we drive through and stop to buy a couple of days supply of fresh fruit and veg as we travel - we don't eat meat but eat fish and can buy fresh or frozen when needed or have tined at other times.
Coffee stops and lunches out are a lovely chance to stop and people watch in little villages etc.

Fresh food is easily found all over the world and we make the most of it when we can - we have pasta tuna tinned sweet corn and tomatoes for back up meals if we are not near habitation or on a fast drive to get some where.
We have got a very small non-powered colman 5QT cool box (its the size of a small shoe box) which we put some frozen peas in to keep butter or marge cool when on the road, but that is all .. we eat the peas when they have defrosted in our evening meal !

So we have saved weight, made good use of the space, and removed a big drain on our power needs by not having a fridge.
But for some people the fridge is a very important item - its just not ours ..
hope that helps
Thumbs Up Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Post #834242 30th May 2020 12:57pm
Timcat

You need to run in politics Gary....I’d vote for you Very Happy
Post #834276 30th May 2020 5:32pm
wyvern

^^^^^ yikes !! we have enough problems with the government as it is with out my additional hindrance ! Rolling with laughter Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Post #834282 30th May 2020 6:01pm
Ramsay

Scotland 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Auto Keswick Green
In a similar but more pungent vein to Wyvern. Why do you think you need a camping toilet? How far off track do you think you are getting? If really far do a shovel recce. If you are just thinking of convenience consider how you will live with a camping toilet in a hot vehicle with you. 1995 Defender 110 CSW
1971 SIIA Lightweight
Post #834305 30th May 2020 8:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>