↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > 130 > Upgrades
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 8 <12345678
Print this entire topic · 
Naf

Kuwait 2000 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Nato Green No Canopy
P38 airbox lid fits the td5 lid perfectly, added bonus is my maf tube is now 78mm vs 68mm and the lid mouth is 80mm as well instead of 72mm like the stock.

I am testin larger water meth nozzles, i grew from 4.5gph to now 7gph injection, and she is able to take more. I am goin to try 9gph, which in theory is enough for a 300hp engine at 26+ psi.

I am still lovin this new gearbox, i may even drop the tc from my mow 1.1 to a 1.0 but i feel this will take more than it gives.

I have a spare tc to try it, so why not.

In other news, my ears ring too much after a short drive. I have the sound proofin, added boom mat and carpet and its imperative i fix this as i would like to do a few hr drive without needin noise cancelling headphones like in helicopters...

Though that would be pretty cool... Can't leave well enough alone
Post #828793 1st May 2020 4:54pm
Naf

Got my big gal up to 160kph at 3000rpm, then the radiator gave up.

I put in an order for a new Allisport rad, and i also ordered their stealth intake tube for the defender.

I had my WMI at 8gph, and my egt lowered from over 1400F to 1200F. I felt better with that, but the controller needs to be adjusted to its not excessively dumpin when the engine is tryin to breath.

I have a large list of other consumables to get, like the G13 antifreeze, and my DEI radiator relief. Its my cheat to keep the temps under the bonnet under control. and i will give the gearbox oil and look over and make sure the quality and levels are fine.

I have put in an order for lizard skin to coat the gearbox tunnel cover as well as other parts above the drivetrain, the heat from the exhaust an noises are givin me a headache above 100kph.

I may swap the maf one more time for the tdci version, as i can run a larger tube and benefit from more air gettin to the turbo.

Will revert my findings once they are apparent Can't leave well enough alone
Post #829633 7th May 2020 9:21am
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I have to admit I don't fully understand what all this means but it makes for fascinating reading! Thanks for keeping us updated. Thumbs Up James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #829672 7th May 2020 1:15pm
Naf

Sorry, what verbage do you have difficulty understanding?

WMI, Water Methanol Injection
GPH Gallons Per Hour

All the MAF mm sizes are ID, so the larger the ID the more air is able to pass. I am hoping the Allisport intake tube will show positive results.

I went all out on the performance, pullin all the stops. I want the most out of my ride so it feels and pulls like a V8, with most of the amenities, like Aircon, and a peaceful quiet ride. We are gettin there, slowly...

The WMI helps do two things, good the exhaust gas temperature (EGT), and keep the Intake air temperature (IAT) down. More dense air means more power and lower EGTs mean Jose can run a crazy tune and my pistons dont melt.

Added benefit of WMI is cleaner internals for the water helps clean all the carbon.

I use Snow performance WMI controller. I use the Maf 0-5v as a reference for the primary nozzle injection. and i use the boost reference for the power nozzle or second nozzle. I have the ability to control two deliveries of water methanol mix.

30-45 days is my estimated time frame to get all the parts and installed on my ride.

Will post videos of my progress with pictures as well. Can't leave well enough alone
Post #829680 7th May 2020 1:39pm
ashtrans
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 
Hi Naf,

great to see you are enjoying the 1.100 gears in the transfer case,

this is just the type of application we made them for Dave
Post #836410 10th Jun 2020 7:10pm
Martin_Cerny

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Java Black
MadTom wrote:
Why single mass clutch? I have seen it in two cars - Def 110 and Disco 2 - both heavy loaded for hard offroad trips and botch ditched it back to dual mass. Without dual mass cars were rattling like a dog when engine was running on idle or a bit higher. From outside it was like there is something broken.

Thumbs Up
Post #894955 30th Mar 2021 3:34pm
Martin_Cerny

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Java Black
MadTom wrote:
Why single mass clutch? I have seen it in two cars - Def 110 and Disco 2 - both heavy loaded for hard offroad trips and botch ditched it back to dual mass. Without dual mass cars were rattling like a dog when engine was running on idle or a bit higher. From outside it was like there is something broken.

Thumbs Up
Post #894956 30th Mar 2021 3:34pm
Naf

Wow, it has been a crazy 18months. And We have been busy.

We did the puma bulkhead swap, what a chore!!!

If it werent for Martin, I would be in a spaghetti mess of wires.

Yes in the near future I will be swappin my bulkhead loom. The one I have now has its own set of problems.

The 10as didnt want to lock the doors, but I had a 2.4 puma version in my useless pile. Cloned the info from the original one and the doors lock/unlock and the engine runs...We fixed one of the lock modules that was slightly loose.

Next week we will be closin the doors, and moving forward with this hefty project.

We are tryin to upgrade the rear seats to the newer versions, will make a spacer to raise and shift it forward. Now my issue is the rear lockin part. Where can I find this type of rear lock?

Click image to enlarge

Engine runs smooth, and the boost screams in. I also redid all my gauges, we tossed the clock, and replaced it with my afr/boost gauge. My other four gauges went into the pod, and we added low coolant warnin, aux fuel pump activation, and low wmi fluid.

Like I said we have been busy.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Can't leave well enough alone
Post #895347 1st Apr 2021 1:38pm
Naf

Forgot to mention, I played with the shocks. We moved the front fox shocks to the rear, and replaced the front with terrafirma +5 shocks.

I did it in a way so the springs just get loose in their slots and not pop out... Can't leave well enough alone
Post #895352 1st Apr 2021 1:41pm
Naf

Its been a Hot summer here, and we have made some nice strides.

Puma dash has been installed
My new Puma Bonnet with louvers is done, lowers the engine bay temp by 10c

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

We are battling a Crank sensor issue. Seems I may not have it high enough, as in low rpm in second it cuts the engine and gives me the code of a noisy signal. We are tryin thicker shims, and also covering the wire with silicone hose.

I am making some engine parameter adjustments as well as wmi nozzle swaps. Am interested in tryin a larger intercooler. 2.5" vs 2", Will have the hot side all 2" right up to the intercooler then open it up to 2.5" and on the cold side have all the hoses at 2.5" right into the intake manifold. Should help with my next engine I am building. We are going with coated pistons, lighter conrods, balanced crank and ported head. Should also note I will be resizing my exhaust from 76mm to 70mm. I will never get to the illusive 300hp, so anything over 70mm is just wasting space and making more noise. I am also resizing because the puma Bulkhead with the MT82 has a very small route for the exhaust to go through. For everyone running hybrid turbos and remaps, 2.5" will get you to 230hp, so there is plenty of wiggle room in the stock sized pipe. But a 3" exhaust does have that sweet note,,,

Got my cruise control to work sort of, it cuts off when the ecu throttles too much. Its a work in progress. May try increasin the diesel so the engine isnt work as hard keepin me at speed.

I will chim in again once she is running again and I have less of this

Click image to enlarge
 Can't leave well enough alone
Post #918676 25th Aug 2021 1:22pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Interesting about the P38 airbox.... could be a cheap upgrade to help other Td5's breathe a bit easier.
Post #918733 25th Aug 2021 8:44pm
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
3" Exhaust also has the benefit of dropping EGTs by a fair way. Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #918747 26th Aug 2021 5:31am
Zimblewinder

Australia 2000 Defender 130 2.5 TD HCPU Chawton White
was that the 2.5 diesel P38 airbox lid or the V8 lid?

thanks
Post #918864 27th Aug 2021 9:50am
Naf

P38 V8 Air lid version

It fits the stock bottom end with no need to modify. Can't leave well enough alone
Post #922172 21st Sep 2021 8:10am
Naf

bankz5152 wrote:
3" Exhaust also has the benefit of dropping EGTs by a fair way.

Yes and no

The egt drops for there is less back pressure on the turbo. but the turbo can only flow so much, so once you got to that limit, the egt will raise again Can't leave well enough alone
Post #922186 21st Sep 2021 9:30am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 8 of 8 <12345678