↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > An Anorak's Utility Station Wagon
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 31 of 57 <123 ... 303132 ... 555657>
Print this entire topic · 
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #820937 24th Mar 2020 10:27am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Mine has a BAS map (one of the early ones, when there was only one), standard intercooler and turbo, but now has the Nak snorkel feeding a Nuggetstuff air filter. The overall result is largely unrecognisable from factory spec in terms of niceness and driveability.

I am not sure if you are familiar with the big hill on the A35 Axminster bypass? It is a long drag, reasonably steep, and when I bought the Defender with run-up I'd be down to third by the top. After the above alterations, with a run-up I can get to the top in sixth although usually I have dropped to fifth, due largely to the weight of stuff on-board.

The main impressions of the induction upgrade are that the engine revs much freely, smoother and a little more powerful throughout the rev range. I do have a minor problem at the moment because the two studs for the front branch of the exhaust manifold have both stripped the threads in the head, and if the manifold gets too hot it warps and the gasket then shrieks like a banshee between the manifold and head (think Stuka dive-bomber)! To fix this I need to helicoil the holes and to do that the huge ladder bracket that holds the alternator, drive-belt pulleys, etc has to come off, along with the air filter, turbo, and a load of other stuff. It is a simple enough job once you can get to the offending holes, but probably a day of dismantling just to get there. I'm thinking isolation project.... (along with the new clutch and transfer box, new front disks, pads, calipers and hoses, re-upholstering the Disco2's headlining, and a load of other stuff)!
Post #820995 24th Mar 2020 4:17pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Air Intake Blanking Plate
So, the finishing touch to my snorkel installation was to blank off the now redundant air intake grill in the wing. With Blackwolf's help, a suitable Land Rover part was obtained from good old eBay. This part (no. 8510320) is intended to fit to the nearside wing of a Wolf Land Rover when converting it from the standard, twin, wing-mounted air intakes to a single raised intake. However, as it's merely a simple flat plate, it's good for both sides.

Click image to enlarge

It comes with a neat foam gasket but the eagle-eyed will spot that one of the holes in the gasket doesn't match that in the plate Rolling Eyes

Fitting was quite straightforward. I removed the existing plastic grill by pulling with a pair of long-nosed pliars and then unscrewed the five torx screws that secure the end piece of the original air intake duct to the wing. I did spend a few minutes trying to extract that final piece of duct but there's no way that it will come out from behind the ABS valve block. It then dawned on me that I needed it for the fixings for the new plate to screw into anyway, so it remains in place.

The blank plate doesn't come with any fixings as the ones from the Wolf air intake are supposed to be re-used. Instead, I used some stainless screws that I had in stock:

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 18th May 2020 8:15am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #821519 26th Mar 2020 10:17pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Just after I tuned and turbo'd I added this for everyday performance. I have a plug to seal the side intake when it's dusty:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Works very well when you're not in the Sahara Laughing Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #825127 14th Apr 2020 9:28am
LandRoverAnorak

Blimey, that's a drastic solution Shocked Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #825130 14th Apr 2020 9:32am
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Laughing It works beautifully. For dusty stuff, the LR RAI went back on shortly after:

Click image to enlarge
 Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #825135 14th Apr 2020 9:41am
LandRoverAnorak

Heh, heh. Darren

Post #825139 14th Apr 2020 9:55am
L110CDL

England 
Hi Darren

I have to replace my window blocks gaskets as there is none there, some sort of silicone i think, so on page 20, you replaced your window blocks and made some gaskets up out of thin rubber, are they still doing the job of keeping the water out Question

I see from your Tdi 90 thread you did the same, but used a thicker rubber gasket, did they do a good job of keeping the water out Question

Is there any reason why you used different thicknesses of rubber for the gaskets Question

I just want to do it right this time, TIA Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #826885 21st Apr 2020 8:23pm
LandRoverAnorak

Hi Clayton,

Yes, the gaskets are still doing their job. The only reason for the change of material thickness was that was what I had in stock at the time. Darren

Post #826908 21st Apr 2020 9:18pm
L110CDL

England 
Thanks Darren Thumbs Up

Forgot to ask you, what thickness of rubber is on your 110 window blocks please Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #826912 21st Apr 2020 9:23pm
LandRoverAnorak

Blimey, now you're asking! From memory, it was 1mm. Now that I think about it, I think I used either 1.5 or 2mm on the 90 and it tended to bulge a little around the edges, which is why I think I went for something thinner this time around. Darren

Post #826915 21st Apr 2020 9:36pm
L110CDL

England 
That's why i asked you as the 90 window rubber gaskets looked really thick, pic's can be deceptive, so thank you again Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #826922 21st Apr 2020 9:58pm
LandRoverAnorak

Side Steps
Yesterday, I replaced the standard XS tubular side steps with a set of four individual folding ones. Partly, this was because the originals were looking a bit scabby but mostly because the folding steps just work better as steps. They’re slightly lower and slightly bigger, making them much easier to use, particularly when wet.

The steps that I’ve bought are Britpart ones, which don’t seem to be any better or worse than OE ones, in terms of quality. Conscious that these sorts of steps do suffer from the elements though, I have tried to protect them by replacing all of the supplied hardware with stainless steel equivalents:

Click image to enlarge

Most of that is relatively straightforward but the bolts that form the pivots for each step are specials with a large, thickened shank. To replicate this, I had some stainless steel bushes made that fit over an M8 bolt which, together with some washers, forms an approximation of the originals:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The bushes are actually 0.8mm undersized at 12mm diameter, as the additional cost of starting with a larger stock bar to turn down to 12.8mm was prohibitive. In practice though, it makes very little difference.

I spent a happy hour or so changing all of the pivot bolts. On the first one, I removed the bolt completely as I needed to measure it. However, I then had to disconnect the spring to allow me to install the new bolt and re-fitting the spring afterwards was a nightmare. For the remaining seven pivots, I left the springs in place but braced the two parts of the step with wood to allow me to insert the new bolt and not lose the alignment. It was mostly successful.

With the new steps upgraded, the next job was to remove the original tubular steps. This went much better than I expected, with all of the nuts and bolts undoing without any fuss.

The new steps mount to the cills using the same holes as the originals, but the bracing bar positions are slightly different. It was necessary to assemble each bracing bar completely to mark the positions for the new holes in the chassis and then disassemble them again to drill for and insert the rivnuts.

Click image to enlarge

Each hole was pilot drilled, opened up to 10mm with a step drill and then to 11mm with a regular drill bit.

Again with corrosion resistance in mind, I’ve used stainless rivnuts and the new holes were given a liberal coating of Dinitrol before assembly.

The rivnuts are M8 and so are fairly stiff to insert but my new rivnut inserter made short work of them. I’ve had a more traditional hand riveter-type tool for years but this thing is so much better and easier to use!

Click image to enlarge

With the rivnut in place, it was a simple task to re-assemble the bracing bar and tighten everything up:

Click image to enlarge

Fitting the rear step was much the same process:

Click image to enlarge

As was ftting them to the other side:

Click image to enlarge

I'm just waiting for some clear Dinitrol to arrive to give them all a protective coating as a finishing touch. Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 26th May 2020 8:09am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #827689 25th Apr 2020 10:51pm
seriesonenut

United Kingdom 
excellent. Did the same to mine last year. Used stainless bolts but only on the chassis and cill fixtures. 2010 XS USW
1957 Series One 88 diesel
1958 Series One 88 4x2
Post #827691 25th Apr 2020 10:56pm
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
I'm looking at these for mine, my question is, can you place them anywhere along the cill or is there specific bolt holes to mount?

I'd like some for the 2nd row doors but to be a little further back as the seating requires you to disembark towards the rear wheel and not level with the footwell
Post #827693 25th Apr 2020 11:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 31 of 57 <123 ... 303132 ... 555657>