↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Custom made springs advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
LandymanStefan

England 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Custom made springs advice
Obviously with all this time on my hands i have nothing to do other than make a big shopping list of things i dont need for the car and think of routes for future holidays.

A while ago i made an enquiry with extreme 4x4 who will happily make a custom set of springs to any specification at a price im happy with.

Now my 90 is running NRC8044's on the back with 1 castle isolator spacer top and bottom and bilsteins all round.
The car sits level and rides great when empty which is about 50% of my miles.

The other 50% of all the miles is adventuring.
Last year i took it with loads of camping gear in the back to the alps and it sat arse end down, just a bit too much for my liking. Realistically i dont want a huge adjustment to spring rate but im thinking longer springs/similar rate is the way to go so when the car is empty it'll be back high slightly and when the car is loaded its basically level or perhaps the tiniest bit low. By the time i go on the next trip i hope to have a roof tent (50kg) sat on roof bars too so again more weight even than last time.

Questions:
How accurate is the information on http://red90.ca/rovers/springinfo.html as this is the baseline data im working on.

Given the information on the website above states my springs are 15.13" Long rate 155-215lbs/in with an estimate of 3.3" of softer travel metioned here http://red90.ca/rovers/NRC8044_5.html
Would a length of 16.75" (approx 1.5" more than now) rate of 170-225lbs/in with the sofer travel being 3" sound like a good idea? (i have the option to remove one of the isolators too)

Has anyone had custom springs made? How are they? How do they compare to genuine LR Springs?

They have an off the shelf set which are 165/265 lb`s an 17.20 " which are £75 cheaper per pair, would this be more sensible? However my thoughts are that 2" lift just on the rear will be a bit too much even if i do remove one of the isolators...

Last question...
Am i really this bored? Whistle
Post #822771 1st Apr 2020 5:53pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Here's my journey: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic49065...oilsprings

Company called "coilsprings" in Sheffield (website address in the link above)

Great service...Still happy with the springs 4 years on... Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #822888 2nd Apr 2020 9:18am
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
how about some helper springs, or helper air bags?

No matter what you do the spring rates and length are going to be a compromise. If your happy with it 90% of the time, id try and do something which only effects it when your loaded.

just a thought!
Post #822898 2nd Apr 2020 9:54am
LandymanStefan

MartinK wrote:

Great service...Still happy with the springs 4 years on...

Interesting read Very Happy

Where did you get the spring rates for your original landy springs from and were they accurate based on the way the new springs feel at a lesser rate?
Post #822969 2nd Apr 2020 4:45pm
LandymanStefan

mikeh501 wrote:
how about some helper springs, or helper air bags?

No matter what you do the spring rates and length are going to be a compromise. If your happy with it 90% of the time, id try and do something which only effects it when your loaded.

just a thought!

Yes i have considered it however my mileage is split 50/50 between normal use and adventure use. And when i use it locally im only really bimbling about or going for a bit of a b road bash for a relatively short amount of time neither of which really matter all that much about suspension feel.

Where as on the other hand, when im doing long trips abroad with potential weight on the roof and going offroad is when i'll probably notice the suspension more.
Post #822970 2nd Apr 2020 4:52pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
LandymanStefan wrote:
MartinK wrote:

Great service...Still happy with the springs 4 years on...

Interesting read Very Happy

Where did you get the spring rates for your original landy springs from and were they accurate based on the way the new springs feel at a lesser rate?

Here, Sir
https://www.defender2.net/forum/post252090.html
I can't tell if they are accurate as I have no way of measuring them, apart from through my bum! The ride quality is now spot-on, and it's dropped the back end which makes it better for my usage with no apparent loss of green lane capability... Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #822972 2nd Apr 2020 5:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1