↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Need help in detaching fuel lines from filter head
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I've never had to bleed a 2.4 beyond the bleed fitting on the delivery pipe to the pump, the HP side has always sorted itself out.

I extended the tank breather (for other reasons) but now to bleed the fuel system either blow down the breather or pressurise the tank with an airline, which also tests the overpressure relief valve in the cap.
Post #822439 31st Mar 2020 8:04am
Island Rover

United States 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Galway Green
I have bleed the low pressure side - maybe not enough or maybe not quick enough re-connecting the hose? But I had good solid fuel flow through the special tool (home made). Then cranked and cranked the engine with no start. I figured that even if I lost some of the prime while reconnecting the low pressure supply hose, as long as it was close, the pump would pull the fuel through eventually as long as it was close. No luck so far.

I really like your idea of extending the breather hose and using that to blow air through to help with bleeding. I am guessing that you originally extended it to increase your wading depth? I have extended all of my other breathers and ran them to high point in the engine bay until I add a snorkel. I have definitely thought about extending the fuel tank breather - but now I have double the reason to do so. I would be very curious to see what you have done there? Did you just attach a hose to the curved breather fitting or something else? Did you go with a larger diameter hose? Where did you run it to? I have a "Power Tank" Co2 system in the back, so easy enough to pressurize the fuel tank when needed. I would love to see some pictures of this modification if you can?

Chris
Post #822500 31st Mar 2020 2:51pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I have the early style breather which ended just behind the RNS wheel and used to get covered in crud. I ran a length of the sort of hose traditionally used for petrol fuel line from the top of the tank up past the RNS lights and into the space inside the body behind the light units (mine is a double cab so not enclosed). Behind the cover panel that protects the lights, I coiled up enough extra length of hose to mean that I can uncoil it and blow easily.
Post #822507 31st Mar 2020 3:28pm
Island Rover

Ok - that sounds great!

I think that mine is the same - runs from the top of the tank up into the left rear wheel well terminating in a hard plastic "candy cane" tube. I bet that I could take fuel hose and a hose clamp and extend it to up behind the lights. I will check it out and see what I can do.

Unfortunately with the island on lock down this week, I won't be able to get to the shop until next week... I will snap some photos when I can!
Post #822539 31st Mar 2020 7:09pm
RobM

Australia 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Alaska White
Guys, this is what I did to overcome the issues of priming. I ended up installing a 2micron Aux Man-Hummel Fuel Filter under the bonnet.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

To date, it's been working fine. Had the fuel flow rate checked by an LR Mechanic and all within the normal parameters. The Filter does come with a water sensor underneath, but I was worried about clearance with the bonnet. There may well be enough room to have the water sensor installed but I didn't bother as I was on a time limit at the time... May look at it further down the track...

Rob Cheers.....
Rob

1995 Defender Tdi 110Wgn
1996 LR Discovery Tdi300 (A)
2009 Defender PUMA 110Wgn
My TRPS: Rob's WikiLoc Trips
Post #822683 1st Apr 2020 9:54am
HardCharger

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Can you give us more details on this?
Post #822703 1st Apr 2020 12:08pm
Island Rover

Nice solution! I like the idea of cleaner fuel, water detection would be a great addition and the manual bleed pump to top it all off. Looks great.

I was thinking about the possibility of installing an electric pump inline between the tank and the wheel well filter. But really don't like the idea of cutting into the nice new factory fuel lines I just bought... Could set it up to be switched either to the ignition or just to a toggle switch for use when bleeding the fuel system. Luckily, there normally isn't much need to bleed the fuel system - but would be nice for it not to be a PITA when it is needed.

Seems like the idea of extending the tank breather line is the least invasive fix so far - I am definitely going to give that a try first.

Chris
Post #822719 1st Apr 2020 1:13pm
RobM

HardCharger wrote:
Can you give us more details on this?

Here's a link to the Mann HUmmel Preline Fuel Filter I installed: MANN PRE LINE pre-filter for diesel fuel Catalogue
There are few options but I went with the PreLine 100/150 model that comes with a primer & the water sensor underneath. As I mentioned previously, I decided not to install the water sensor due to limited bonnet clearance but may reconsider in the future if I can ensure I have the bonnet clearance.

I purchased the (Male/Female) quick release connectors Car Auto Fuel Line Hose Quick Release Connector (12mm). At 1st, I bought the wrong size as I thought they would be the same size as the ones at the OEM filter but they're not. They are a 12mm fitting from memory. I just tapped into where the fuel line comes up into the engine bay at the quick connector where the valve is. This is where I just connected the fuel lines that went straight to the Aux Filter. The beauty of this is that I can quickly/easily restore it back to factory should the need arise.

I just made up brackets to mount the filter housing to. The Filter kit came with a 8micron element but since the OEM one is 5micron, I couldn't see the point in installing a 8micron, so I went with the smallest that the dealer sold which I think is 3micron. I was worried about possible fuel flow/volume issues and the extra pressure this might put on the IP but taking it to our local LR mechanic, they did the diagnostics and the fuel flow/volume was still within OEM specs.

Here in Australia, they do sell a complete Aux fuel kit that mounts above the Gearbox X-member in the inside of the chassis rail and taps into the Cooler. I never liked this option due to its location. Cheers.....
Rob

1995 Defender Tdi 110Wgn
Post #822855 1st Apr 2020 10:48pm
HardCharger

Thanks for the details. I saw the crossmember kit you were referring to and didn't like its location either.

Have you tried priming the fuel system from here?

This will definitely be in the mods queue. Thumbs Up
Post #822879 2nd Apr 2020 8:06am
RobM

Yes, I had to use the primer when I installed the filter. Worked aa treat and was fairly quick too Cheers.....
Rob

1995 Defender Tdi 110Wgn
Post #822881 2nd Apr 2020 8:12am
HardCharger

Great! Thanks, Rob! Thumbs Up
Post #822885 2nd Apr 2020 8:52am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12