↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Oil getting to ecu
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
charcoal

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Oil getting to ecu
I changed the injector loom to stop the common problem of oil getting to the ecu. This fixed a misfire I had at high rpm under load although the engine still feels pretty gutless and can barely muster 70mph. Over the past few days Ive been running it up to temperature then unplugging the ecu to get whats left of the oil out of the wires but even after these few days oil can still be found the plug, albeit less that before I changed the injector loom.

So how long should it take to get all the oil out of the wires? Or is the oil still somehow getting in? 1999 Land Rover Defender 110 td5 station wagon
1998 Land Rover Defender 110 County Station Wagon ~ Sold
1995 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 Station Wagon ~ Sold Sad
1985 Land Rover 110 ex mod project Tithonus ~ Sold Sad
Post #822342 30th Mar 2020 7:16pm
LandymanStefan

England 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
I cant help with the low power problem but it might be worth checking the back of the engine where your crank sensor is.

My 90 had a leak from the back of the valve cover/rocker cover gasket which was running down the back of the engine and had completely covered my crank sensor and all its wiring. I had oil in the red plug at the ecu but a completely dry injector harness plug. So i think the leak on the crank sensor and wiring was the problem.

Check the back of your valve cover for leaks and see if youve got oil dripping down the back of the engine
Post #822345 30th Mar 2020 7:21pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
It took about a month on my Disco 2.
Post #822347 30th Mar 2020 7:30pm
charcoal

LandymanStefan wrote:
I cant help with the low power problem but it might be worth checking the back of the engine where your crank sensor is.

My 90 had a leak from the back of the valve cover/rocker cover gasket which was running down the back of the engine and had completely covered my crank sensor and all its wiring. I had oil in the red plug at the ecu but a completely dry injector harness plug. So i think the leak on the crank sensor and wiring was the problem.

Check the back of your valve cover for leaks and see if youve got oil dripping down the back of the engine

Thanks for the idea Stefan, will take a look tomorrow. If it was it hopefully shouldn't be anymore though as it got a new gasket when doing the injector loom anyway.

blackwolf wrote:
It took about a month on my Disco 2.

Were you disconnecting it to let the oil out every day or only doing it once a week or what? 1999 Land Rover Defender 110 td5 station wagon
Post #822354 30th Mar 2020 8:01pm
blackwolf

Probably once a week, quick blast with brake cleaner then refit. As the month went by, less and less oil would drain out of the harness.
Post #822365 30th Mar 2020 8:39pm
charcoal

Cool thanks will start leaving it longer and hopefully not enough builds up to bring back the misfire Thumbs Up 1999 Land Rover Defender 110 td5 station wagon
Post #822407 30th Mar 2020 9:56pm
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
Oil in ECU connector is not a real problem, oil is very good insulator, and voltages there are very low, compared to high voltage transformers used for power distribution filled with oil.
Typical problems are because bad contact to injectors - connector pins in injectors loom are tiny, but current to control injector is high - over 25 Amps. I have repaired quite a few of these - remove the loom, tighten the contacts in loom, replace 2 O-rings on the connector where loom is going out of engine, replace back. With original loom no more problems, oldest repairs ale more than 5 years ago. With some pattern looms I had to replace them with old original one, as they were not good from new.

Before changing the 2 O-rings, I hade to cut the wire between ECU and injectors, somewhere next to engine, and solder it through and cover with heat shrink tube, to stop migrating oil through cable. With replaced O-rings there is no need. Oil cannot pas through connector of loom exiting engine head, it is completely sealed by epoxy. But oil can pass around connector, as it is sealed only by 2 O-rings, and they harden by time. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #822453 31st Mar 2020 9:29am
charcoal

Can oil get in through that plug that has the o rings then? When I did the loom there was a surprising lack of resistance to push the plug through the head and at the same time I noticed the clip to hold the two plugs together was broken off so there is not much holding them together. 1999 Land Rover Defender 110 td5 station wagon
Post #822483 31st Mar 2020 12:55pm
MadTom

The plug is sealed by 2 blue O-rings NYX100080, there are 2 of them, and I have always seen that, they are no more round in cross section, but flatten. So the plug is not sealed in the hole, ad oil is passing around the plug. Pins in the plug are sealed with some epoxy, and I have never seen some leak around the pins.
Leaking oil is getting into the mating plug and this one is not oil sealed, as there is no need for it. Pin is this plug are loose.
Remove and check the O-rings.
I think, it is the engine temperature, combined with oil bath, that is damaging the O-rings in long therm. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #822485 31st Mar 2020 1:06pm
charcoal

Right got you so Ill open the top back up and take a look at these o rings. I couldnt remove what was left of the last o rings from the head so that might be stopping the seal 1999 Land Rover Defender 110 td5 station wagon
Post #822487 31st Mar 2020 1:16pm
MadTom

Remove the valve cover. Remove the injector loom. Clean the hole in head for injector loom plug - originally it has mirror like surface in the hole. Make a photo of injector codes written on the top of them. Optionally - set the injector clearance.
Replace the 2 O-rings on the loom plug. Tighten all 10 pins in injector loom plugs connecting to the injectors - there are several ways how to do it, best is to remove the pin from connector body with a needle a flatten the pin a bit with pliers.
Place all back. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #822488 31st Mar 2020 1:24pm
charcoal

Cool thanks will take a look over all this in the week Thumbs Up 1999 Land Rover Defender 110 td5 station wagon
Post #822526 31st Mar 2020 5:18pm
blackwolf

MadTom wrote:
... Oil cannot pas through connector of loom exiting engine head, it is completely sealed by epoxy. ...

If you're saying that looms are manufactured like this, there must have been design changes along the way, since both the original injector loom I removed from my 2002 Disco2 and the genuine replacement I bought at the time (probably around 2007) had no sealant of any kind in the connector shell. In my case, and I know of many others, the problem was that the connector shell would fill with oil which would then seep through the contact pin holes of the shell, into the mating connector, then along the individual wires inside the insulation. There was no leakage at all past the shell itself and the O-rings.

Before I fitted the new harness I completely filled the shell with electronic potting compound so that no oil can enter the connector shell at all, and I've not had the slightest problem with oil since then.

MadTom wrote:
.. I had to cut the wire between ECU and injectors, somewhere next to engine, and solder it through and cover with heat shrink tube, to stop migrating oil through cable. ...

This is a clever idea to stop oil migrating down the wires, however there is a risk that at some stage in the future you will suffer broken wires due to the inevitable embrittlement that the soldering will cause. If the heatshrink sleeve support the soldered portion well enough to prevent any movement though, it should be OK. Personally I preferred to stop the oil from getting in in the first place.
Post #822528 31st Mar 2020 5:33pm
charcoal

blackwolf wrote:
Before I fitted the new harness I completely filled the shell with electronic potting compound so that no oil can enter the connector shell at all, and I've not had the slightest problem with oil since then.

Sounds like a good idea, might pull it back out and do that to mine also Cool 1999 Land Rover Defender 110 td5 station wagon
Post #822541 31st Mar 2020 7:12pm
charcoal

Just as a little update if anyone is following this thread with the same problem. Now after a week there is pretty much no oil coming out of the plug. The cause of the misfire turned out to be the waste gate being seized Thumbs Up 1999 Land Rover Defender 110 td5 station wagon
Post #823500 5th Apr 2020 5:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>