↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Oil getting to ecu
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
There is a pair of connectors on the output of head - male part with pins fixed in some epoxy, and sealed by 2 O-rings to the engine head. Female part has loose contacts. Problem is in the 2 O-rings. When oil pass around them, it flows into the female part and than into the cable loom. In every connector pair, there must be some way to correct small misalignments of pins. in this connector pair, it is made by "loose" female pins. Male pins are fix glued by some epoxy.
Soldered joint covered with heatshring tube is fully comparable to crimped joint. Both must be made right.
Every time, I have removed the loom from any TD5 engine, both O-ring were not round in their cross section, but oval or flatten. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #823551 5th Apr 2020 9:17pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I have never come across an ex-factory loom which has the connector of the "oily" in-head harness sealed with epoxy, or in fact sealed in any way at all, other than the two external O rings. It may well be that this was a later modification to address the oil migration problem, but I have never come across one. It would certainly be nice to think that LR actually decided to do something about a design fault for a change!

I have never found oil passing the O rings to be a problem as (in my experience) it doesn't tend to enter the insulation of the head-to-ECU harness. Oil migrating past the pins of the "oily" in-head harness directly into the connector shell of the external harness is the traditional problem.
Post #823562 5th Apr 2020 9:43pm
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
Possible misunderstand - epoxy is used to hold and seal male pins in connector, connector is sealed by 2 O-ring in head.
Male connector pins are full metal, without any "hole" in them.
Oil "flows" around not sealing O-ring, into the female connector and than into the cables.
Female pins are loos fit in connector body, not epoxy glued and fixed.
After replacing the O-rings and cleaning both connector, oil "flow" slowly disappear. Problem is, that oil in loom between engine and ECU can flow out both ways - to ECU side and back to engine side, so it is not clean once and forgot.
As I wrote before - oil is not the main problem of engine, problem is high current fo control injectors, even only pulsed, combined with tiny connectors. Any bad contact leads to big voltage drop and bad function of injector, but because it is only pulsed current, the connector pin will not burn like main lights connectors or any connectors or relay sockets or fuse holder in high current circuits. Pulsed current is a bit different, has no thermal effects, but needs perfect contact in whole circuit.
Injector circuits are unique from this point of view - pulsed, high voltage (90 V) and current (20 A) and immersed in oil. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #823604 6th Apr 2020 7:36am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12