Home > In Car Electronics > 2003 Defender 90 - replacing the original aerial
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
rustyredwreck

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 SW Baltic Blue
2003 Defender 90 - replacing the original aerial
Afternoon all,

I have looked at the posts in "in car electrics" and haven't been able to find an existing thread, so here goes.

I want to replace the original LR wing-mounted aerial on a like for like basis. I am not sure how I address the following challenges:
(i) how do I access the existing (broken) aerial - up through the wheel arch (but there seems like a lot of bodywork to remove to only get limited access) - or somehow contort myself to go in through the engine bay?
(ii) threading the new aerial through the bulkhead - it looks like a very small opening through the bulkhead - time to break out the Vaseline?

Am new to the site, having been without a land rover for a few years - and have managed to find threads to help with my first 6 jobs - so thank you one and all for that.

Life seemed much simpler with a series 3 - but now I am of an age to really appreciate a 5th gear and power steering.

Any help much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Neil
Post #821867 28th Mar 2020 8:44pm
gcc130

Hi Neil,
Welcome to the forum.
I did this exact job yesterday on my 09 plate 130”

On the 2.4 puma you can get to the aerial from the engine bay rather than the wheel arch, not sure about on the Td5.
I tied the bonnet back as far as it would go with a ratchet strap.
The aerial is held by a chrome nut at the top and a spring clip at the lower end.
I cut the old cable in the engine bay and taped the new plug to it, it must be in line as the plug will only just fit through the bulkhead hole. I then eased it through the bulkhead by pushing from the engine side. Once through I then pulled the cable from the cab side, plugged in and refitted the radio.
It should be easier inthe Td5 as you won’t have the air on ducting and steel strengthening bar to get in the way behind the dash.

Andrew
Post #821878 28th Mar 2020 9:27pm
rustyredwreck

Thanks for the reply Andrew,

I think I'll abandon any idea of accessing up through the wheel arch - a further inspection suggests it would be of limited (if any) benefit.

I have completed a dry run and been able to remove the aerial "retaining" nut from the top of the wing. There appears to be some type of clip on the underside of the wing which helps to keep the aerial in place when the retaining nut is removed - so the aerial can be wiggled from side to side. So far, so good.

The left hand side of the engine bay is very congested - I have the servo-assembly and possibly the ABS modulator in the way (I've just looked this up in the parts manual - too dark outside to go and have a look). I cannot actually reach and touch the aerial housing as it sits beneath the wing.

Did you have this problem at all?

Thanks again,

Neil
Post #821883 28th Mar 2020 9:39pm
gcc130

Access in the Td5 is obviously harder. You will have to get in there somehow as the aerial has to come out from the underside, not up through the wing.
Hopefully someone who has done the job on aTd5 will come along with some advice.
Post #821909 28th Mar 2020 11:31pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I think that the only way to remove it would be from underneath by removing the plastic wheel arch liner. Not a five minute job, unfortunately. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #821952 29th Mar 2020 9:18am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Possibly a daft question, but in what way is a Td5 different to a TDCi, I thought the wings were the same?

Is it the air intake that makes the difference?
Post #821969 29th Mar 2020 10:10am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Done a good few of these on Td5’s and a Tdci. They are both basicly the same and it is easily all done from above, even with abs/TC unit in place

Just undo the chrome on the top, that will allow it to drop, it is the in a hook clip further down but will pop out of that as you now extract it upward. Cut cable on old and tape new cable to it, then pop out clock binnacle, find wire and start to pull it through. A good spray with Teflon lub helps. Then pull through to head unit.
Post #822022 29th Mar 2020 12:44pm
deftd5

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Cairns Blue
Yep just had a look at my Td5 with abs, you can get your arm up under the brake servo. Definitely doable from the top.
Post #822028 29th Mar 2020 12:53pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
As Landy Andy says, it's best to use a cable pulling lubricant to avoid damaging the insulation. Screwfix and similar tool shops normally stock it. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #822032 29th Mar 2020 12:59pm
gcc130

As described in my post I taped the plug to the old cable and then pushed/fed it through from the engine bay.
It’s a reasonably tight fit but went through easily enough without lubrication.
Post #822036 29th Mar 2020 1:04pm
rustyredwreck

Thanks all for the responses, suggestions and help.

I'll be having a go at replacing the aerial later in the week. I'll post a final comment on how it went mid next week to close the thread out.

Having successfully fitted a new 2DIN console and head unit during the week I am getting quite bold in my ambitions. I thought replacing the aerial would be simple - it's obviously been a while since I owned my previous land rover and I'd forgotten that nothing is ever as simple as you might expect.

Thanks again and keep healthy all,
kind regards

Neil
Post #822037 29th Mar 2020 1:12pm
rustyredwreck

Finally managed to getting around to fitting the new FM aerial.

First things - my fat arm wouldn't fit in the engine compartment to get to the old aerial out without removing what the parts manual calls the fender bracket (which required the removal of two screws). Easy enough and nothing else fell off when it was removed.

Old aerial out without a problem - but a clip which held the base of the old aerial snapped off - doesn't appear to have made a massive difference now the new aerial is in - the new aerial remains vertical.

I followed the advice given earlier and taped the new aerial cable to the old to pull though the bulkhead - and, even with the liberal application of lubrication, the old cable snapped.

However....

I undid 5 screws on the lower dash (having already unscrewed the instrument binnacle and upper dashboard) and this gave me enough room to play with to gently pull the new cable in once I'd gently pushed the new cable in from the engine bay. Undoing the lower dash made such a difference and, based upon my experience, I would recommend it.

Plugged the aerial into the stereo and I now have a better FM signal than I do a DAB signal. Happy days.

Thanks again all for the advice.
Kind Regards

Neil
Post #825818 16th Apr 2020 4:23pm
Sleonard73

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Is there any chance you took a picture of where the aerial cable goes through the engine firewal from the engine side?

I'm about to attempt this minor surgery on my Defender 90 Puma 2.2 and the engine bay is particularly busy around the aerial.

Stephen ...
Post #965089 15th Sep 2022 8:59am
Paddington

United Kingdom 
I'll take a photo later and post. Kind Regards Neil
Post #965105 15th Sep 2022 10:24am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1