Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
foz.in.oz

Australia 2004 Defender 110 Td5 SW Bonatti Grey
Sonic3d wrote:
foz.in.oz wrote:

Or you can remove the broken shaft engage the central diff lock and drive out

Have you ever tried driving a Defender with only front wheel drive offroad Whistle i can tell you it does`nt go much Big Cry

Click image to enlarge

Come on be fair, that's more than just a broken driveshaft Shocked Shocked

Anyway the difference between being stranded and getting home can in some cases be life or death. I wouldn't recommend driving front wheel drive only if you can help it, as like you have experienced, the front diffs have been known to explode from the ordeal. But in the right situation it is an option. Land Rovers are an addiction. Toyotas are for quitters.

WWW.CQLROC.ORG
Post #8117 5th Mar 2009 10:16pm
Sonic3d

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Stornoway Grey
A broken half shaft caused that Big Cry
Post #8118 6th Mar 2009 12:17am
foz.in.oz

Australia 2004 Defender 110 Td5 SW Bonatti Grey
How?

Did you break a half shaft and then drive for hours like with all the drive force going through the front diff?

Please tell us the full story. Land Rovers are an addiction. Toyotas are for quitters.

WWW.CQLROC.ORG
Post #8213 9th Mar 2009 1:53am
mhasting2004

Australia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Weak engagement of diff lock
Did anybody get a definite solution to this issue?

The dealer is unable to rectify and finds that all the Puma Defenders are like this. Given this is the same transfer case as my old TD5 had I ain't buying the "its normal" ploy.

Just crawled under the truck to check kit out for myself.

Here's the problem with mine.

With the lever disengaged by removing the short "C" linkage the selector lever has two distinct detents. One with the transfer case lever pointing straight forward and another one with it pointing 45 degrees towards the gearbox. The problem however is both detents are not when the selector fork of the dog clutch is engaged (ie diff locked) this only happens when the lever is pulled past the detent away from the gearbox.

Now to me this indicates the problem is within the T/C . I can't remember if there is any adjustment of the fork selector within the T/C or not and spent the last hour looking for my manuals.... which have gone AWOL.

Anybody with some ideas out there?

Cheers

Mark
Post #12942 14th Jul 2009 5:56am
mhasting2004

Australia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Poor diff lock selection
Well I went out and had a bit more of a play and here's what I think.

First off the bent link was just a tad too long so that the selection lever on the T/C was just shy of the detent position. I stuck it in the vice and gave it a few belts with a hammer to shorten the distance between the bends. Second I drilled a couple of holes in the ends and replaced those horrible push on retainers with split pins. Honestly those push on retainers are for toys and have no place on my fender.

This fixed the detent issue but the feeling is still a bit vague and the amount of throw of the diff lock lever is still far too short for my liking.
The next fix will be to change the pivot point to a point maybe 2" lower so that the full throw of the lever in the cabin is used. This is going to take a bit of time so its on the "to do list".

LR should really fix this but I won't hold my breath.

Cheers

MArk
Post #12955 14th Jul 2009 1:00pm
Eduardo

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
mhasting2004,

Mine has been solved by the dealers. Was a lever adjustment problem. Until now, we have didnt saw the problem again.

Cheers Eduardo

MY 2007 110 SW PUMA 2.4: Big Fog of 64'
MY 1994 Jayco 1207 Folding camper: "El Tremendo"

Click image to enlarge
Post #12961 14th Jul 2009 2:42pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Glynparry25 wrote:

I have driven defenders on 3 continents, from desert sand to artic snow drifts. The last thing on my mind is diff lock, unless I think I can't get out.

one of the first things on my mind is engaging diff lock as soon as i come off a good firm surface, ie anything that would allow a tyre to loose traction, that may be a gravel track on worn road tyres (where as for an MT i would leave it in open diff) or a wet grassy field on ATs or deep mud for MTs etc etc

for gravel tracks in Africa i would (and have) use(d) diff lock at most speeds. if the track is too firm you will get wind up but this will invariably be lost as soon as you hit the next powder section or if it gets too much will release its self through the tyres by making them slide(?) on the gravel, bear in mind you can make tyres chirp on tarmac through windup.

yes if there is a big build up you will increase the chance of roll over but thats alot of wind up and you would feel it through the steering before that.

my Puma also jumps out of difflock, normally on bumpy hill climbs - its on the list for the dealer to sort! Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #13296 23rd Jul 2009 9:44am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123