Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Dexterdog

thanks for the help
Post #820558 21st Mar 2020 8:26pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The TD5 and TDCi pedals have different part numbers, I'm afraid, and appear to be different an not interchangeable.

TD5 changed at VIN 1A607224, which I think is 2001, so 2001 to 2006 was the three track pedal, pre-2001 the two track, and I'm not sure about the Puma but I would hope that it too is three track.
Post #820564 21st Mar 2020 8:54pm
Dexterdog

Thumbs Up
Post #820566 21st Mar 2020 9:14pm
marlbare

Belgium 
the symptoms you describe could make think of a problem with the diesel flow (sludge=difference in fluidity between cold and hot and filter saturation)or air in the diesel supply system, known problem with filtered fuel support, sorry for my English! Embarassed time belongs to those who know how to take it
Post #820568 21st Mar 2020 9:27pm
Dexterdog

Yep makes sense

Thanks
Post #820573 21st Mar 2020 9:42pm
marlbare

Belgium 
good to you Wink Wink time belongs to those who know how to take it
Post #820574 21st Mar 2020 9:53pm
blackwolf

If it was a Puma not a TD5, I'd suggest you changed the Volume Control Valve.
Post #820587 21st Mar 2020 11:36pm
Dexterdog

Blackwolf...............In an earlier response you said
"TD5 changed at VIN 1A607224, which I think is 2001"

I am very close to this with my VIN so wanted to ask a bit more if poss.

My car is 2001 (euro 2 engine) VIN just after this change , so that VIN suggests the pedal would be the later 3 track. But mine is a 10p engine. Do you know if the pedal change was linked to the change to 15P or was it separate ?

I am thinking its the pedal thats the problem. The remapping guys have been excellent . They basically have installed a chip with the same remap but have toned down the throttle pedal response.

This makes the problem less accute but still there. In high ratio while driving normally the kangarooing has now gone but the problem is still there, you just feel light hesitation / missing under light acceleration. However, if I put it in low ratio I can hold the throttle pedal just in the right place to make it get much worse and kangaroo. Press the pedal further it goes, get it in just the right place it returns (but its still intermittent and not present all the time).

Had a look around and it seems you have to have the whole pedal assembly and not just the little electronic box on the side of the pedal. Anyone know if you can get just the potentiometer separately ?

Thanks in anticipation.
Post #821177 25th Mar 2020 10:00am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
It comes as a complete unit. Later Td5’s can be adjusted to run with two track pedal. I think the Nanocom will tell you which pedal you have.
Post #821248 25th Mar 2020 4:43pm
blackwolf

I can't add anything to the preceding reply from landy andy, I am afraid. When my Disco2 did this, it was reasonably easy to link to one exact position of the throttle pedal, and from your description it sounds as though you have done just that.
Post #821251 25th Mar 2020 5:04pm
Dexterdog

Thanks chaps, really appreciate the help.

It may take a while (especially as parts may possibly be a bit hard to get hold of untill the virus means everyone can go back to work) but I will keep reporting back to share what I find so anyone else looking at the thread will know what the eventual cause of the problem was.
Post #821253 25th Mar 2020 5:07pm
LandymanStefan

England 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
I have a 2001 td5 10p engine and my accelerator is a 2 track one
Post #821254 25th Mar 2020 5:12pm
Dexterdog

Thumbs Up
Post #821257 25th Mar 2020 5:29pm
Dexterdog

Hi Chaps,
Here is the latest in the saga (still looking for some help please).

As a recap, previous items changed inc MAF sensor, EGR blank, Injector harness and red plug cleaned, ECU been checked and is fine. Injector seals and fuel temp sensor now changed, throttle pedal replaced. All intercooler pipes look to be OK

TD5 defender hesitating / surging at certain rev point (think its rev point now) but intermittently happens. Drive it hard there is no issue and goes really well, revs cleanly through whole range.

As this has gone on I have been able to identify when it happens a bit better. Its still intermittent but always under light acceleration. I can now find the exact point on the pedal and make the car hesitate / surge (when its playing up… but it does not always do this). Its more exaggerated or easier to find the point where it happens in low ratio.
Imagine depressing the accelerator and its fine initially, you then hit the very specific point only when accelerating lightly or tickling the accelerator when cruising along where it will hesitate / surge, press some more and you are past the point and its fine. I cannot reproduce it when car stood still but I can do so when moving along. It might be this is just easier with the car under load.

Car has been remapped. They subsequently put different chip in to “tone down” throttle pedal response. This made the problem less obvious but its still there. This led me to think it was the throttle potentiometer. Changed the pedal but its not that ( Censored )!

Now I know its not the position the throttle pedal is at that is causing it, it seems it is when the revs are at a specific point or poss when the turbo is at certain point. As if fuel is starved but only at that exact point. Imagine at that specific point if its held there it drops power and then recovers and repeats over and over making the car hesitate and then surge but if you accelerate hard and it passes the point and no problem. But I cannot find the exact point when stationary to make it do it.

Therefore thinking its more fuel starve than electronic….but that is a “gut feel” as apposed to based on science
Fuel pressure regulator shows no sign of leaking. Can they fail without leaking fuel ?

Any help VERY GRATEFULLY RECEIVED please?
Post #823126 3rd Apr 2020 12:28pm
blackwolf

Have you changed the throttle position sensor, as suggested earlier?
Post #823128 3rd Apr 2020 12:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>