↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Spotted in Namibia again...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 9 <123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
Ecco

Malaysia 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Galway Green
..again..pretender life saver does nothing that others doesnt do in much more difficult condition...

Post #818580 7th Mar 2020 12:43am
Tim in Scotland

And what exactly are the difficult conditions in the videos above? Those are normal winter conditions for many of us and we expect any Land Rover including the New DEFENDER to be able to hack it in them.
I think that the postings in this thread have pretty well killed off the rumours of any lack of ability of the new vehicle and that it can handle everything that might be thrown at any Land Rover product. Just because it doesn’t look like a utility vehicle doesn’t mean it cannot be as capable (or possibly be even more capable) as one. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #818599 7th Mar 2020 9:33am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
I think it's difficult for JLR to demonstrate this vehicle as being better than any previous vehicle - but that's what they are saying about it & people are just pointing out that all they are showing so far is things that previous iterations or different models have been able to do for the last 30 plus years.

A 5 star safari with charter jets, etc for the senior management and invited journos to go rip up the countryside in a foreign country seems a little off all the other messaging around tread lightly, sustainability, etc.

Contrast this with Roger Crathorne 50 years ago taking a development Range Rover on a competitive hill rally and winning:

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic71460.html
Post #818608 7th Mar 2020 10:25am
J77

Scotland 
Ecco - they ain’t difficult conditions, that’s a Scottish winter Laughing

Granted it probably wouldn’t pull a truck up the hill but my Velar handled worse.

Click image to enlarge
Post #818614 7th Mar 2020 11:29am
milesr3

2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
Tim in Scotland wrote:
I think that the postings in this thread have pretty well killed off the rumours of any lack of ability of the new vehicle

Agreed. It certainly seems to be extremely capable.
Post #818623 7th Mar 2020 1:39pm
Supacat

Nice.

Click image to enlarge

Richard Agnew (@theragers) Tweeted:
The inspirational John Kasaona from IRDNC. A leading light in African local community conservation, supported by @tusk_org and @Landrover @MayhewCharlie #namibia #newdefender #teamdefender #tusk https://t.co/ch5VyEJMT8 https://twitter.com/theragers/status/1236270170349461505?s=20

There's a winch there if you look really carefully, although it's a strange angle:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B8_UpOqJ8oD/?igshid=16cnnd31djiw0
Post #818625 7th Mar 2020 1:44pm
Not_Given

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Orkney Grey
Every time I see one of these Namibia pictures I can’t help thinking that the tyres at the corners don’t look like they’d fit in that spare-wheel carrier. Carrying a ‘second’ spare on the roof only raises the eyebrow further.

Nothing against non-stock rubber, but surely it’s not been designed so a modified spare won’t hang in the normal place? Anyone shed any light?

NG
Post #818626 7th Mar 2020 2:04pm
Ecco

Malaysia 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Galway Green
Tim in Scotland wrote:
And what exactly are the difficult conditions in the videos above? Those are normal winter conditions for many of us and we expect any Land Rover including the New DEFENDER to be able to hack it in them.
I think that the postings in this thread have pretty well killed off the rumours of any lack of ability of the new vehicle and that it can handle everything that might be thrown at any Land Rover product. Just because it doesn’t look like a utility vehicle doesn’t mean it cannot be as capable (or possibly be even more capable) as one.

..and what exactly are the difficult conditions pretender is experiencing, on route successfully completed with older LR generations ? Thats the question to ask..do you see anything at all, that old rigs cant do?? No, you dont.... it shows nothing spectacular that other trucks are not capable of, and im sure, plenty of stuff presented is 'make up' by journalist who will never ever report anything bad with vehicle, as they are part of PR campaign..
Post #818628 7th Mar 2020 2:19pm
Tim in Scotland

Why do you keep referring to a “pretender” the new Defender is not pretending to be anything other than a very modern and capable vehicle for the 21st century. There are several conditions where I would much sooner use any modern Land Rover product over my Defender - icy roads being one where my previous RRS’s and FFRR’s on winter tyres have been far superior to my non-ABSand non-Traction Control equipped 1996 Defender - my Defender also has 400mm LESS wading depth than any of my much missed modern Land Rover products which also didn’t need things like gearbox and axle breathers unlike my 90 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 7th Mar 2020 2:34pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #818631 7th Mar 2020 2:31pm
Supacat

Not_Given wrote:
Every time I see one of these Namibia pictures I can’t help thinking that the tyres at the corners don’t look like they’d fit in that spare-wheel carrier. Carrying a ‘second’ spare on the roof only raises the eyebrow further.

Nothing against non-stock rubber, but surely it’s not been designed so a modified spare won’t hang in the normal place? Anyone shed any light?

NG

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

That’s a good spot ~ not conclusive from these three photos but it does look to be two different sizes.
Post #818632 7th Mar 2020 2:33pm
J77

Scotland 
Ecco wrote:
Tim in Scotland wrote:
I think that the postings in this thread have pretty well killed off the rumours of any lack of ability of the new vehicle and that it can handle everything that might be thrown at any Land Rover product. Just because it doesn’t look like a utility vehicle doesn’t mean it cannot be as capable (or possibly be even more capable) as one.

..and what exactly are the difficult conditions pretender is experiencing, on route successfully completed with older LR generations ? Thats the question to ask..do you see anything at all, that old rigs cant do?? No, you dont.... it shows nothing spectacular that other trucks are not capable of, and im sure, plenty of stuff presented is 'make up' by journalist who will never ever report anything bad with vehicle, as they are part of PR campaign..

What do you want the new Defender to do? cartwheels? handstands perhaps?
Post #818633 7th Mar 2020 2:40pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Can we lay off with the constant negativity please.

As I’ve said before, if you’ve nothing constructive to add then please don’t. This isn’t a forum for new Defender haters to provoke and annoy others. Go elsewhere to do that.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #818634 7th Mar 2020 2:48pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Supacat

How about demonstrate or even explain what lies behind the claims that it is comprehensively better than any previous JLR vehicle?
Post #818637 7th Mar 2020 2:50pm
Not_Given

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Orkney Grey
Supacat wrote:
Not_Given wrote:

NG

Click image to enlarge

That’s a good spot ~ not conclusive from these three photos but it does look to be two different sizes.

Didn’t think to compare with those shots. Good one, Supercat! Maybe the tyre is always that shape under the cover and the flat bit is so you don’t obscure your number plate. It’s not a flat, it’s a feature!
Post #818641 7th Mar 2020 3:42pm
J77

Scotland 
It’s designed for up to 22” rims, is that wheel/tyre bigger than a 22” rim and tyre?
Post #818653 7th Mar 2020 5:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 7 of 9 <123456789>