↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Spotted in Namibia again...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 9 <123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
Not_Given

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Orkney Grey
Best guess from the photo is 265/70R18. 32.6” by 10.4”. Not sure how a low-profile 20” wheel setup would compare.

NG
Post #818657 7th Mar 2020 6:02pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
It does look huge there, is it just an optical illusion though?
Post #818664 7th Mar 2020 6:49pm
Tim in Scotland

Aren’t sand tyres higher aspect ratio to give them strength when you deflate them a bit when you get into sand? The steel wheel does look much bigger diameter than when I gave specced them on the builder though Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #818693 7th Mar 2020 8:54pm
Supacat

I think I can read 255 R16 on the tyres ~ standard Goodyear Wranglers, the off road tyre option on old Defenders as well as new Defenders.
Post #818694 7th Mar 2020 8:58pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Not in that size, though. Only 235/85 or 265/75 have been offered in metric sizes in recent years. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #818703 7th Mar 2020 9:43pm
Supacat

Right I was zooming in on this:

Post #818704 7th Mar 2020 9:52pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The bit where it clearly says 255/70R18 ?
Post #818705 7th Mar 2020 9:57pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
If you spin it backwards it says Satanic verses. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #818708 7th Mar 2020 10:06pm
Buran

Croatia 
Remains to be seen if at least 33” or maybe 34” could be fitted without modifications.
I guess 35” is out of the equation altogether.
Post #818726 8th Mar 2020 12:52am
Ecco

Malaysia 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Galway Green
Supacat wrote:
How about demonstrate or even explain what lies behind the claims that it is comprehensively better than any previous JLR vehicle?

..thats exactly my point which is missed, hence term pretender, but in era of 'political correctness', thats a sin..it has nothing to do with negativity, even, yes, it can be read that way..but when someone made claim that car shows its 'capable', and you see a vehicle loaded with just 2 guys with tshirt and one or 2 spare tyres on the roof, traveling trough terrain of no spectacular challenge that cant stop ancient series 3 truck, then, you remember camel trophy, trucks fully loaded with bunch of dudes, roof rack entirely loaded with what not, proving its use, and truck slammed in to all kind of mud/pot holes, water, river crossing and what not , and goes trough...then you realize, there is virtually , nothing shown in any of videos or pictures which demonstrate advertised capability of this truck abomination, that is on any way better than old trucks..

Heaviest stress this machine (ill call it machine from now, so nobody is offended) did experienced is two dudes sitting on its rooftop , seeking aliens on night sky..
Post #818728 8th Mar 2020 1:11am
pbhawkin

Australia 
I get that some of the posters in here are disappointed (a lot) that the New Defender is not a lot like their memories of years ago when the last iteration of the Defender was being sold. But please stop banging on about this.

I would rather you compare and contrast it to other vehicles that are currently on the market now (as that is what I will want
to know prior to purchase of a replacement for my D4).
Post #818732 8th Mar 2020 5:12am
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
I grew up with the Camel Trophy and those who watched it over the years saw that LR was dumbing it down in the last few years.

First from Camel cigarettes to Camel clothing, then from Discovery1’s to Freelanders, from being convoys to single teams with a back up vehicle. And letS not forget the final trophy that used boats.

Then there was the G4 lifestyle events.

The reality from a large companies point of view is that crashing through the undergrowth is not politically correct, it’s not even something that 99.9% of owners do anymore. Check out all those shiny non scratched overpriced Defenders out there now.

Rose tinted glasses, I think so.

You can drive mostly from Scotland to Cape Town on tarmac

The car buying public purchase their vehicles on finance deals and part ex after three or four years. LR sells the image but the dealer does not want the car back scratched, dented and covered in Camel Trophy stickers.

Ps, I love my scratches, they tell stories....
Post #818763 8th Mar 2020 10:58am
zilch

Australia 
pbhawkin wrote:
I get that some of the posters in here are disappointed (a lot) that the New Defender is not a lot like their memories of years ago when the last iteration of the Defender was being sold. But please stop banging on about this.

I would rather you compare and contrast it to other vehicles that are currently on the market now (as that is what I will want
to know prior to purchase of a replacement for my D4).

Thumbs Up yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #818856 9th Mar 2020 1:34am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
pbhawkin wrote:

I would rather you compare and contrast it to other vehicles that are currently on the market now (as that is what I will want to know prior to purchase of a replacement for my D4).

Your last (parenthesised) sentence makes exactly the point that is in my mind the cause of the disappointment, the Defender has become just another ephemeral SUV, though I dont dispute it'll be a good one.

I'd be delighted to compare it to currently-available vehicle in the utility/working light truck sector that the Series Land-Rover and Defender dominated for years, but it no longer stacks up against the current pick-up trucks, small Unimog, Cantor, 4x4 Transits and Sprinters, Gators, and other off-road utility vehicles that it used to beat.

I get that the Discovery was an epic concept and there is a need for a new one (since D5 replaced the Freelander) but if it looks like a Discovery, does the job a Discovery was designed for, sells to the Discovery market sector, then why not call it a Discovery?

This is not negativity, it is a dislike of the cynical marketing that has gone on in JLR ostensibly to free up the Defender name by rebranding all model ranges, something that clearly signalled the demise of the real Defender years before it happened.

I hope (and expect) that those of you who by the new one will enjoy it and it will tick all of your boxes. Sadly it doesn't tick any of mine. It's not a bad vehicle, just the wrong vehicle!
Post #818871 9th Mar 2020 9:15am
Supacat

pbhawkin wrote:
I get that some of the posters in here are disappointed (a lot) that the New Defender is not a lot like their memories of years ago when the last iteration of the Defender was being sold.

On a point of fact - it was not years ago when the last iteration of the Defender was sold - it was 2019.

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic71149.html?highlight=retail

pbhawkin wrote:
But please stop banging on about this.

What happened to if you didn't like the thread you just ignored it and moved on? Seems a little rude to come in on someone else's thread, and take it off on a tangent saying what can and cannot be said.

pbhawkin wrote:
I would rather you compare and contrast it to other vehicles that are currently on the market now (as that is what I will want to know prior to purchase of a replacement for my D4).

Please feel free to start that thread and I'll read, comment and contribute, maybe even challenge someone's opinions ( Whistle ); but I won't try and shutdown the whole conversation because of...well I'm not really sure. Confused

The big point has already been made by Blackwolf. Thumbs Up
Post #818877 9th Mar 2020 10:28am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 8 of 9 <123456789>