↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Optimum Comfort/Handling Puma 110 Tyre Pressures?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Smilesapart wrote:
Just spoken to my dealer I bought it off who has said the suspension set up is the same for the Station Wagon or the standard commercial which mine is.

I'm guessing your 'standard commercial' is the utility station wagon shown in your profile? If so, it will definitely have different rear springs to a passenger station wagon. The latter uses dual rate springs and I have a set in my garage ready to fit to my USW when the weather warms up a bit!

Whilst superficially similar, the USW is quite different from a regular SW. Not only do they have heavier rear suspension to cope with 'commercial' loads, but the base vehicle is lighter as it doesn't have the rear seats and glass of the latter. Consequently, if you typically run near empty, the ride can be comparatively rather harsh. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #815048 14th Feb 2020 8:00am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Does the USW have the same 1 tonne payload that the double-cab has?
Post #815075 14th Feb 2020 11:46am
LandRoverAnorak

I believe so, yes. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #815093 14th Feb 2020 2:06pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
That's what I thought, in which case USW, DC, and probably full HT 110s will have different springs to the SW and consequently a choppier ride unladen.
Post #815115 14th Feb 2020 4:18pm
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
rockster57 wrote:
Smilesapart wrote:
Just spoken to my dealer I bought it off who has said the suspension set up is the same for the Station Wagon or the standard commercial which mine is. So I’m just going to let the tyres down a wee bit to maybe 26 front and 32 rears. See if that improves it a bit. It’s not a major issue but I do have quite a few bumpy roads near me

Smiles,
whilst your proposed reduced tyre pressures may make the ride feel softer, you are actually compromising tyre integrity by running them under inflated. There’s obviously a cost involved but the better way to soften the harshness, is a “tuned” spring/shock set-up.

Ok - and does anyone know what would be a good set up at a sensible price?
Post #815126 14th Feb 2020 4:59pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I'm not sure you can call £650 cheap, but I'd be looking at something like this. Or speak to the likes of Gwyn Lewis for a custom package. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #815128 14th Feb 2020 5:04pm
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
Smilesapart wrote:
Just spoken to my dealer I bought it off who has said the suspension set up is the same for the Station Wagon or the standard commercial which mine is.

I'm guessing your 'standard commercial' is the utility station wagon shown in your profile? If so, it will definitely have different rear springs to a passenger station wagon. The latter uses dual rate springs and I have a set in my garage ready to fit to my USW when the weather warms up a bit!

Whilst superficially similar, the USW is quite different from a regular SW. Not only do they have heavier rear suspension to cope with 'commercial' loads, but the base vehicle is lighter as it doesn't have the rear seats and glass of the latter. Consequently, if you typically run near empty, the ride can be comparatively rather harsh.

Yes this one is a USW Ok - this is concerning as had I realised this I would have made certain that I only looked at buying the Station Wagon. I intend to put the insulation down on the floor from the back of the front seats right through the rear footwell, under the 2nd row of seats and into the entire rear area. And then put carpet on top which I did on my last one which made quite a difference to the sound insulation- but I’d like to know what changes I need to make to the rear suspension to get it more in line with the Station Wagon.
Post #815129 14th Feb 2020 5:06pm
LandRoverAnorak

There are lots of options, depending how far you want to go. Some folks on here have fitted 'comfort' springs from Alive Tuning and are happy with the results, although they're not cheap and do lower the vehicle height. Personally, as I said above I'm going to try a set of passenger station wagon springs, which is a relatively low cost option, and see how they feel. I'm not that put out by the existing ride though, if I'm honest, so I'm experimenting as much out of curiosity as anything.

I have fitted sound insulation and carpet to the rear, which has made a huge difference to the noise levels. As standard, it's like driving around inside a drum. You can see details of my approach to this here:

https://www.defender2.net/forum/post711655.html#711655 Darren

Post #815172 14th Feb 2020 8:26pm
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
Ok so I’ve enquired at Alive Tuning about getting the softer springs and having a stage 1 Remap done at the same time. I’ve also bought the Dynamat sound insulation package to do the entire interior of the vehicle (apart from roof and doors) and a carpet set from the front footwell back. Booked a friend to help me fit all the insulation and carpet over a weekend once it arrives.
Once I’ve done all this insulation to the floor, is there really any requirement to do the roof and doors as well do you think or not really?
I’ve already got the insulating side panels in the back as you can see in this photo.

Click image to enlarge
Post #815388 16th Feb 2020 12:36pm
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
Ok so I’ve enquired at Alive Tuning about getting the softer springs and having a stage 1 Remap done at the same time. I’ve also bought the Dynamat sound insulation package to do the entire interior of the vehicle (apart from roof and doors) and a carpet set from the front footwell back. Booked a friend to help me fit all the insulation and carpet over a weekend once it arrives.
Once I’ve done all this insulation to the floor, is there really any requirement to do the roof and doors as well do you think or not really?
I’ve already got the insulating side panels in the back as you can see in this photo.

Click image to enlarge
Post #815389 16th Feb 2020 12:37pm
LandRoverAnorak

I'd definitely recommend doing the roof. I've done both a 90 and a 110 and the difference is significant. The doors are nice when done, too, but they're a lot more work to strip down and so the benefit/effort equation is a bit more marginal.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

Post #815534 16th Feb 2020 8:02pm
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
Ok I’m definitely going to insulate the roof.
Alive have a new suspension upgrade to soften the suspension with new springs and shocks without lowering the ride hight so I’ve booked it in for these And the stage 1 Remap. Also bought the leather XS cubby box with padded top to match the Premium seats and matching white stitched leather grab handle, dash top and Binnacle top! The black external changes will have to wait now
Post #815655 17th Feb 2020 6:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12