↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Retrofitting Central Locking and AS10 Connections
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
chrisc2306

Scotland 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Zambezi Silver
Retrofitting Central Locking and AS10 Connections
Hi guys just done this mod on my 2011 puma and thought I'd share how I done it for anyone else who is thinking about tackling it. There's loads of threads with loads of useful information that I found helpful but I thought I'd put it all together.
I used the Hawk CDL 04 kit you get off of eBay for £22, it comes with everything you need in terms of actuators cabling etc. There is 4 actuators in this kit, since mine was only the 90 I only needed 3
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-REMOT...2749.l2649

To get the cables into the doors I used rubber boots that I also got from eBay and ran the cables out of the grommet that is just inside the door and then notched a bit out of the door card to make space for the boot.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Central-Locking...2749.l2649

Click image to enlarge

The install of the front door actuators is very straightforward with this kit, the cables are colour coded and its just a case of plugging them together. The kit comes with a piece which you attach the new actuator rod to the existing one. Sorry I don't have any pictures of this part but its easy to do.

For the rear door because my one has the standard lock there is no scope to install central locking to it without taking it apart which looked like a bit of a mission so I ordered a new lock that has the rod already in it for central locking. You need to remove the lock barrel from your existing lock, to do that put the key in the lock and turn it, if you look down the hole on the top of the lock when turning the key you'll see a tiny hole, you need to push something in that hole to release the barrel. It's a pain to do, when it is out it just simply slides into the new one no problem.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rear-Door-Handl...2749.l2649
You also need a locking lever as well due to how the back door lock works
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rear-Back-Door-...2749.l2649
Once I had my cables routed to the back door and through the boot I mounted the actuator in between the top and middle bolts in the door aiming at the locking lever on a diagonal. The locking lever just clipped onto my door there was a square cut out just above the lock for it to click into. On the rear door actuator I had to switch polarity on the cables so it went Green to Blue and Blue to Green otherwise when the front doors unlock the back door will lock and vice versa.

Once you locate a permanent 12v source and a negative then the kit is up and running.

To connect it to the current 10AS alarm I takes a bit of mucking around, first of all you need to remove the unit which you get access to through the drivers side footwell speaker, the right hand screw is easy to get out, the left on the other hand is a bit of a nightmare. I ended up using a multitool to cut away a bit of the plastic under there so I could get my hand in to access the screw.

Once you have it out open it up, which is also a bit of a pain I jammed a screwdriver in between the front and back of the case to pry it open a bit whilst pushing the tabs down at the same time. Once you have a couple undone it comes apart fairly easily. When you get into it it will look something like this

Click image to enlarge

Next you need to solder two cables onto it to allow it to send a signal to the hawk unit. You can see here where to do that

Click image to enlarge

Once that is done close it all back up, I took the new cables out above the green connector

Click image to enlarge

The hawk unit has a white and a brown cable coming out of it

Click image to enlarge

Connect the cables you installed from the AS10 onto these cables, in my case that was white to red and brown to black

Click image to enlarge

Give it all a test, I found that I needed to use the hawk remote to get all the actuators in the unlock position first and once I had done that the Land Rover fob worked the central locking no problem. Using this method you don't need to fit the relay onto the 10AS or do any other programming with the 10AS to get it working, the hawk unit just picks up the signal and does the rest.

Hope this helps and makes sense

Last edited by chrisc2306 on 8th Jan 2020 6:34pm. Edited 4 times in total
Post #809336 8th Jan 2020 12:09pm
Hufflepuff

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Tonga Green
Great write up, thanks Chrisc2306. I shall be doing this later in the year Smile 2005 Td5 90 XS
1989 V8 110 CSW
Post #809344 8th Jan 2020 1:07pm
24heuer

Scotland 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
I'm in the middle of this also but going down the L/R parts route as I had the wiring already in place in the door frames.

Getting the 10AS out looked to be a total nightmare.

The right hand side Torx screw is easy enough to reach through the speaker hole using a small stubby driver.
No way could I reach the left hand screw through there though as there's a black plastic shield blocking access (you can see it on the image below).
What I did discover however is that by removing the steering wheel and then top/bottom column covers the left hand screw is right in front of you and can be reached using a normal length drive Smile
I know, even the smallest of jobs seems to turn into a major project for me Rolling with laughter

Cheers,
Andy...
Edinburgh, Scotland
http://24heuer.com
Post #809497 9th Jan 2020 7:25am
sgreenham

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Galway Green
Re: Retrofitting Central Locking and AS10 Connections
chrisc2306 wrote:

Once you locate a permanent 12v source and a negative then the kit is up and running.

Thanks for this guide, I'm going to tackle this with all the time off we have at the minute. Do you know where you took the permanent live and negative from? I'm very much a beginner at this type of stuff but willing to give it a bash but just not sure where to take the feed from?

Thanks
Post #822351 30th Mar 2020 6:54pm
sgreenham

Does anybody know how I can get the cable for the central locking routed to near the fuse box/AS10 from this hole. Do I need to drill a hole behind the trim?
Post #824272 9th Apr 2020 1:50pm
sgreenham

Through this hole... just seems to be a dead end

Click image to enlarge
Post #824273 9th Apr 2020 1:51pm
dorsetsmith

the square hole is for the rubber flex and you find round grommet up under the wing at screen end both sides
Post #824279 9th Apr 2020 2:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1