↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Another RAI thread! No drilling?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
bear100

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Another RAI thread! No drilling?
The returning RAI questions! Embarassed

Im not a huge fan of the RAI i like the cleaner look without one But i think it will help with my 110 expedition build.

The plans is (was until the virus hit our shores) to do a few Moroccan expeditions so with the dust a RAI will help plus its a nicer route for me to take cables up to the roof rack, so i bought a Mantec plastic jobby Shocked (been in the garage for a while now but time is plenty at the moment so........)

Heres it comes! i don't want to drill the pillar and have seen on a previous thread an Entreq bracket that utilises the window block as a fixing.....do you think i can find it anywhere! any one know where i can buy one? looks a much nice install

I have also seen and heard about them being bonded, but most of the pictures in the past threads are not showing.

Let me know your thoughts Thumbs Up 2016 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 TDV8
2010 110 XS Utility 2.4TDCI
2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 (gone)
2007 Discovery HSE TDV6 (gone)
1993 110 csw 200 tdi (gone)
1994 90 HT 300 tdi (gone)
1994 discovery 300tdi (gone)
90 hybrid 3.5 v8 (gone)
Range rover bobtail 3.5 v8 (gone)
Post #823414 5th Apr 2020 9:15am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Could you not get a piece of angle iron, weld on some captive nuts, then bond it to the A pillar?

At least later on you could slide a stanley knife under it to remove it, should you want to
Post #823416 5th Apr 2020 9:20am
bear100

I have thought about it but and looks a great idea but i haven't got anything to weld with or even tried welding for that matter plus all the work shops are closed 2016 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 TDV8
90 hybrid 3.5 v8 (gone)
Post #823420 5th Apr 2020 9:29am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
If you're heading to places like Morocco then an RAI is very worthwhile. When I did that trip some years ago, the difference in the amount of dust in air filter boxes between those with and without was marked.

If you are going to fit one though, fit a better one than the Mantec plastic jobby. Pete Bell did some dyno tests a few years ago and demonstrated just how restrictive these are. Conversely, I've just fitted a Nakatanenga RAI and it's transformed the vehicle. The engine is so much smoother and free revving than before, it's like having a remap.

I've had some success bonding some brackets to the inside of the rear of my USW using Sikaflex. However, I tried to bond the snorkel bracket to the windscreen frame and couldn't get it to work. I'm not entirely sure why - whether it was the weight of the snorkel and relatively small surface area, the powder coat finish on the bracket or something else completely, but I resorted to the rivets that came with the kit in the end.

https://www.defender2.net/forum/post820692.html#820692

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #823422 5th Apr 2020 9:33am
Danny Fireblade

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Alpine White
Have you thought about some 3M VHB tape? If you get the right application it isn't coming unstuck.

Something like this with a suitable primer.

https://www.selfadhesive.co.uk/3m-vhb-tape...h-33m.html

https://www.selfadhesive.co.uk/3m-tape-primer-94.html
Post #823440 5th Apr 2020 10:33am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
The pillar fixing don’t really do much if you are happy to get decent wing fixing. So I would just bond bracket on. Modern glues are so strong these days. I would use something like tiger seal, or windscreen bonder. It just takes time to set so makes the install a slower job. But I doubt you are in a rush currently.
Post #823446 5th Apr 2020 10:55am
Daisy90

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Alveston Red

Click image to enlarge

No extra hole drilled for this one, simply fits between the bulkhead and windscreen blocks ,
This was it before it went for powder coating ,
Sadly I’m in no position to make another,
It was all stainless also,
Hoops were for breathers and cabling
Post #823449 5th Apr 2020 11:01am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Remember if you do decide to bond the bracket to the screen pillar that unless you clear the pillar back to bare metal no matter how good the bonding agent is, it will only be as strong as the bond between the paint and the windscreen frame (and that doesn't have a terribly good "rep" on a Defender).

My view is that you are better off drilling the screen frame. Should you wish to remove the RAI at some stage in the future, just fit blanking screws in the holes. It is probably less of an eyesore than the clean-up required to get the adhesive off, and if you have cleaned to bare metal you've got a mess to deal with anyway.

It is also my personal view that the Nak RAI is the only one worth bothering with (acknowledging I am biased, since I have one, carefully chosen after reviewing all options). For an TDCi expedition truck I would consider nothing less that the NAK RAI with a NuggestStuff filter, but I would also fit an external cage (which would solve the "do I drill the windscreen frame" issue as well).
Post #823455 5th Apr 2020 12:06pm
Devon-Rover

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
Entreq did used to do their RAI with the fitting that goes to the windscreen bracket. but it doesn't seem to be available at the minute.

IMHO if someone could do the NAK style along the wing but picks up on the windscreen bracket they would get my money.

at the last service I had to do about 100 miles of A road in wet weather before I got back home. Now when I got around to the air filter the lower foam was wet from moisture and it was visable in the bottom of the air box. Standard pipework all the way. So it seems that in standard form the defender likes to try and ingest water.

Fast forward a few weeks the a local farmer decided that it was too wet to go cross country and used the main road so it turned into a mud bath.

Click image to enlarge

As you can see the pattern of spray from the front wheels means the intake is perfect to "hoover" up the spray from the front wheels. So an RAI is high on my list. Also can be found on Fb, Ytube, Insta & Twitter @4WDSouthwest
Post #823463 5th Apr 2020 12:29pm
v8bob

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
I too have a raised air intake sitting in the garage. I didn’t like the idea of drilling the screen frame.
My thoughts have been that I will never drive through water higher than the bottom of the windscreen. But water may short term wash over the bonnet.
So, is there any point having it going right up to roof height?
The utility company vehicles have the roof rack front stay bolted on the windscreen blocks. I assume that these are mounted by drilling and tapping the blocks.
So, a few options...
If you have a roof rack far enough forward then a support could be made to go between the window block and rack.
Or a short RAI could be supported just at the window block.
if anyone tries one of these methods before me (next ten years or so) then post some photos.
Thumbs Up
Post #823473 5th Apr 2020 1:40pm
Daisy90

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Alveston Red
But who came up with the idea of sandwiching a bracket between the bulkhead first ! Me or Entreq ? Rolling with laughter
Shame I’m not in a position to make some more Laughing
Post #823484 5th Apr 2020 2:46pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
A few good options offered up, but also are you planning on fitting a roof rack, as that could offer a further attachment point?
Post #823606 6th Apr 2020 7:53am
tookaphotoof

Netherlands 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
I’d say drill the hole. It’s easily fixed if you ever decide to remove it.
Just make sure you buy a snorkel which fits on the wing without drilling extra holes.
Post #823607 6th Apr 2020 8:01am
benniferj

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
I used a cyclonic filter on the top of mine too and it's the best thing. Makes so much more sense than a normal scoop. Insta: @thebenjordan4x4
Post #823609 6th Apr 2020 8:13am
bear100

Lots of good options to be fair Very Happy

i like the idea of the 3m tape but can't help think about it s stuck on with tape! any experience anyone?

The drivers for me fitting mine is the dust in Morocco and a nicer way to get a cable to the roof rack,
Supacat i do have a roof rack and was thinking the same as you with a bracket to support at the top Idea

I dont really like the look of RAI and the idea of the cyclone sounds great but the look is not for me Shocked

Daisy90 im sure there is a little market there for you? good excuse to buy a big garden shed!!! Its a great idea to use the window block and i don't know why everyone doesn't do it?

The Matec jobby needs extra holes in the wing which im not fussed about either, what other makes of Rai are out there?

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 2016 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 TDV8
90 hybrid 3.5 v8 (gone)
Post #823612 6th Apr 2020 8:40am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>