↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Galway Green, 2011 Defender 110 Station Wagon
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I hope you're aware of the "Defender wave"!!! James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #798211 14th Oct 2019 9:56pm
Stebo

Northern Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
I wasn't, but after the first 100 or so miles I ( and surprisingly also my wife) am now a fully paid up member of the defender-wave club. Very Happy
Post #798221 14th Oct 2019 10:57pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Stebo wrote:
Thanks for the comments. Yes security is top of the list, but I just need to figure out what would work best for our circumstances. I'll do a bit of research, but I kinda like the standard steering wheel, so not sure if a wheel-lock or removable boss will work with standard wheel.

I spoke to Belfast Land Rover Centre (BLRC) about getting anti-corrosion treatment done but they have a 1 year+ waiting list apparently. Thanks for the heads-up on DF Engineering - looks like he knows what he's at, I'll give him a call tomorrow.

sadly not, but it does give you a choice of a better looking wheel. I have one on mine that looks look, Not racing car looking either. One of those things we have to give up to keep these safe sadly. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #798226 15th Oct 2019 5:56am
Stebo

Happy to report my wife is loving the first couple of weeks of Defender ownership.

I had it out earning it's keep last nigh, towing a trailer full of horse manure about 10 miles out the road. I was a bit concerned that it wouldn't tow as well as my wife's old XC90 but it did the job well. The brakes mightn't just inspire as much confidence, but it did everything I asked of it.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I'm not as used to judging the tow-bar on this car, (and the defender doesn't have a soft plastic bumper!) so I reckon that a reversing camera and some work lights for hitching up would go a long way to making life a bit easier.

Did some Friday night shopping and bought a Scenelite S17 and a JVC KD-X561DBT plus a cheapy camera to see where and what works well (I'll likely replace this with a decent camera when I've figured out what I actually want). I didn't want to go double din so I hope that the 3" screen is good enough, and also that the blue colours doesn't do my head in against the LR green

https://uk.jvc.com/car-entertainment/bluetooth/KD-X561DBT/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00RVP...&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07RJQ...&psc=1

https://www.labcraft.co.uk/product/scenelite-si7/
Post #799568 26th Oct 2019 12:52am
Stebo

I spent Saturday fitting the above, and have nearly got everything sorted. My only issue is the wiring of the Scenelite, which I intended to operate off this switch - https://www.mudstuff.co.uk/genuine-style-t...rwork.html (not connected to reverse or anything). The switch appears to be designed for running a relay, but I presume with a LED light such as the S17 this wouldn't be required? The following wiring diagram was supplied with the switch:

Click image to enlarge

Ideally I would want this switch to operate as follows:
- illuminated green along with the rest of the dash
- amber dot illuminated when scenelite is turned on
- can turn on scenelite even if the ignition is off
- not using a relay (unless the advice is that I should use one)

Can anybody advise if this would work if I run a live from the battery into terminal 1, a splice from another switch in to terminal 2, negative from battery to terminal 3/4, and live to scenelite from terminal 5, and then negative from scenelite back to battery neg (based on the terminal numbers in the image)? I also presume that instead of wiring neg back to the battery I could also just "ground" it against an appropriate chassis connection?

Is there anybody more electrically minded than me that could advise on if that will set my car on fire (or if there is an easier way)?

The new head-unit and reversing cam are a great job, but now that I know it works I might invest in a better camera. The cheap one I bought has pointless guidance lines that aren't right and flashes a message like "use your eyes" at the top, which is the most important bit of the image. I would also go a slightly wider angle.

I have managed to mount it at the back door so I can just see the tow-ball, but also get a good view for parking / avoiding small children - I will get some photos and put them up here when I get a chance
Post #800740 4th Nov 2019 2:39pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
If you connect 12v directly to terminal 1 then pressing the switch will create a dead short and bad things will happen.

The connection to terminal 5 is an incoming 12v to power the amber LED and won't work the other way around in the way that you suggest.

Whilst the current draw of your Scenelight doesn't warrant the use of a relay, the switch is designed to switch an earth rather than 12v and so it's far easier to wire as shown in the diagram. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #800827 4th Nov 2019 11:08pm
Stebo

Aw, yes, see what you mean. I’ll just grab a relay in that case. Thanks for the advice
Post #800834 5th Nov 2019 12:01am
Stebo

Here's a few photos of my scenelite. Hard to capture just how bright this is at night. More than adequate anyway!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Trying to capture how it lights up a pitch black yard - camera kinda darkens though, so it’s not a great example

Click image to enlarge

Here is a photo of the drivers mirror, with just the stock reversing light, and then with the scenelite

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by Stebo on 17th Nov 2019 12:50am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #802460 16th Nov 2019 5:15pm
Stebo

And the JVC headunit and reversing cam

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #802461 16th Nov 2019 5:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top