↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Selling fireworks to the public
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

The last line in your post sums it all up ......... Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #801321 8th Nov 2019 9:30am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
ARC99 wrote:
When I was a Plod this used to be my bread and butter around the 5th :-

Most interesting, thanks for posting.
Post #801336 8th Nov 2019 10:43am
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Fireworks have always been not available in Aussie for as long as I can remember.
Which was a surprise for me, emigrating from Manchester in 1958, when "Bonfire Night" was a very special event, not only for children, but adults, families as well.
For days preceeding Bonfire Night, we'd make up a "Guy", place him in a wheelbarrow, then we'd walk him around the streets, knock on doors with the request "A penny for the guy",....we'd buy fireworks with the proceeds.
Bonfire Night itself was special, I remember that our Bonfire would be placed on a minor street "roundabout", most of the neighborhood would be there, a big bonfire, parents handing out parkin, fireworks going off, roman candles, rockets, sparklers etc,...it was a REALLY good family night,...and I can't remember one bit of "drama".
Do these events happen in streets like this anymore in the UK?.....I don't know, but I gather not.
I get it that your fireworks are more powerful these days, & I'd have loved them, but as with the less powerful items we used, we wouldn't dream of doing anything stupid, we'd use them in the manner intended.
I say it's the attitude of youth that has changed,..."I'll do it if I want to", "Stuff anyone else", "Don't tell me what to do",...total lack of respect,.....only by some mind you, maybe the small minority,...who spoil things for others.
Anyway, I will always remember the happy Bonfire Nights in Manchester (Abbey Hey).
Pickles.
Post #801401 8th Nov 2019 8:51pm
Doc P

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Same here Pickles. We’d build the bonfire for weeks leading up to that night. Make the Guy and stick him in a wheelbarrow wandering round the ‘village’ asking for a penny for him.

Fireworks were just for November 5th....no point setting any off beforehand - we wanted them all for the 5th.

We baked potatoes in the bonfire embers at the end of the night.

It made for happy memories. Kind of surreal to commemorate the brutal execution of folk trying to bring about destruction of the government though when you think about it though!

No one got hurt.....or did they? There were always bad injuries (burns) somewhere in the country. The fire service was always flat out...to be honest, sparklers were the biggest villains for us because we’d always get burnt hands from them

Can’t believe I survived childhood sometimes looking back!
Post #801425 8th Nov 2019 10:48pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
There has been a lot around tonight near here, which as myself and others have said before they aren't just being used for bonfire night but all different dates, so bonfire night effectively becomes bonfire week.

Again, that makes things difficult for anyone to prepare for such events such as if you own animals that are upset by them.

As we are well used to, the minority often cause the problems with irresponsible behaviour and often a minority gets heard the most literally and can so often spoil others enjoyment.

Mind you, being all for bans, and "it's illegal" etc or pushing for law alteration to suit a minority view is the in thing trend, the way we've been going there won't be much left that is legal soon.

We all have our own views, it seems to be a city issue more from my point of view so I don't tend to come across any unacceptable behaviour but I don't doubt it certainly does happen every year.

Live and let live. Very Happy Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #801426 8th Nov 2019 11:01pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
a lot of historical "celebrations" and even nursery rhymes are based on pretty horrible events..........

just ban the lot and as for you 'clappers' then just STOP....... Whistle
Post #801456 9th Nov 2019 9:18am
andydef90

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
our poor dog has not been out for a walk for a week she his terrified fireworks being aimed at the school grounds as soon has its dark . just been to local biker bar and farm next door has a bird scarier it went off she ran back to us shaking poor thing
Post #801507 9th Nov 2019 3:27pm
Tim in Scotland

What are we coming to that war dead cannot be respected
Remembrance Sunday disrupted by fireworks in Salford https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-50367340

And another idiot
Hedgehog dies after firework attached to head and set off https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-50367334 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #801626 10th Nov 2019 3:17pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
When I worked for the Censored hole ( asda) I sold 1000s of pounds of fire works, the general public went nuts to the point where they got very nasty too! If I had my way I would have locked the cabinet up and walked away, until people started to behave.
Also over the years I saw the range that you can set them off from homes increase too, so the average size gardens couldn't be used by law to set them off. I think the weather has played massive part in preventing people from going full hog. I do agree on banning selling them to the public, also I think banning bomb fires is a good idea too. You see too many people now been silly with them and causing harm to them selves and to others. I read somewhere that kids, threw fireworks at the fire service and at the police! The other side of town to me, they were burning a cars and doing other daft things etc. So its all gone way out of hand now.
I wouldnt even bother going to fire work displays either, waste of money and you can do somthing better with your time too. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #801659 10th Nov 2019 6:06pm
Doc P

Re: What are we coming to that war dead cannot be respected
Tim in Scotland wrote:
Remembrance Sunday disrupted by fireworks in Salford https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-50367340

And another idiot
Hedgehog dies after firework attached to head and set off https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-50367334

I spend my working life trying to save human lives.....sometimes I wonder why I bother.
Post #801700 10th Nov 2019 9:17pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Fireworks and stupid mindless people wow what a great combination that makes. Misuse of fireworks should carry a hefty sentence to dissuade these scum from acting as they do. 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #801702 10th Nov 2019 9:21pm
Eduardo

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Old story...

Here in Chile selling fireworks to the public has been banned since 2000.
Several childs burned every year finally leads to this prohibition and the number of burned childs during christmass and new year has been droop dramatically from 77 cases in new year to less than 5.

Cheers and good luck with the discussion Eduardo

MY 2007 110 SW PUMA 2.4: Big Fog of 64'
MY 1994 Jayco 1207 Folding camper: "El Tremendo"

Click image to enlarge
Post #801718 11th Nov 2019 3:20am
Doc P

custom90steve wrote:
There has been a lot around tonight near here, which as myself and others have said before they aren't just being used for bonfire night but all different dates, so bonfire night effectively becomes bonfire week.

Again, that makes things difficult for anyone to prepare for such events such as if you own animals that are upset by them.

As we are well used to, the minority often cause the problems with irresponsible behaviour and often a minority gets heard the most literally and can so often spoil others enjoyment.

Mind you, being all for bans, and "it's illegal" etc or pushing for law alteration to suit a minority view is the in thing trend, the way we've been going there won't be much left that is legal soon.

We all have our own views, it seems to be a city issue more from my point of view so I don't tend to come across any unacceptable behaviour but I don't doubt it certainly does happen every year.

Live and let live. Very Happy

We live next to a firework manufacturer who has a depot in the old WW2 RAF base - they use the old munitions bunkers to store them in.

They make fireworks for professional displays only. They test them occasionally - much to the delight of the kids (i.e. me and the Mrs) around but not the livestock in adjoining fields or some of the pets in the neighbourhood I suspect!

They were warned in the past about this by the local authority and now very much limit testing to (mostly) daytimes.

I like displays done properly and professionally. I despair at the actions of those who are irresponsible though and can't see it being police-able practically without some form of licensing for, what are basically explosives, being sold.
Post #801741 11th Nov 2019 10:46am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
It reminds me a little of that film The Purge, in which (I seem to recall) for one night of the year all law and order is suspended (although I can't remember why, other than to make the story for a violent movie).

So for a few weeks every year we late anyone buy explosives and do more-or-less whatever they like with them. Why?

What downside would there be to banning the sale of fireworks to Joe Public?
Post #801745 11th Nov 2019 10:56am
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
The upside to banning the sale of fireworks to the general public is that it may increase footfall and income to professional displays which are in a lot of cases run for charity.

The downside, supermarkets and shops (and all those decidedly dodgy looking sales from ISO containers in pub car parks) will lose revenue which will be no great loss to the general population.

If you went around firing a shotgun indiscriminately into the air around the streets of a town, city or village, I'm sure the Police would be able to take action. Letting fireworks off outside of a display doesn't to me seem much different?
Post #801761 11th Nov 2019 12:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>