ginjez

2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 ST Santorini Black

Click image to enlarge

Can't imagine where they got the coffee stencil idea from Whistle
Post #798779 19th Oct 2019 2:46pm
nidge n

AndrewS wrote:
nidge n wrote:
For those guys that have viewed the Defender in the flesh, is there as much plastic on the car as the photographs suggest?

Its got more plastic than the Lego model has.

Only to save weight though, nothing to do with costs surely. Whistle The new Defender looks like a design exercise set for students. "lets try and get some old school design into the new model and cash in on all that nostalgia. But if the plastic is more in real form that photographs, that's a bit cheap and nasty don't you think?
Post #798798 19th Oct 2019 7:25pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green

Click image to enlarge

Alice Holt today.

Had a good look around. The vehicle being shown is a hand built pre production version and shows in the quality of some materials. I would have to wait and see it again in real life to see its progression. Some things you have to take with a pinch of salt, winch (how to get to it) and steering wheel (plasticy) and the beige interior is minging (why don't show it off in a classy black)

Seeing it the flesh does give a better idea of size, seating positions and rear space with both the seats up and down. To me it did not look as big as some of the pictures made it out to be but then it was on its own so I would prefer to get to drive it in town and car parks.

Interestingly the LR guy said that the 90 would be on the configurator in 6 weeks time and that the 90 only had two rear seats in the non commercial version. Have to wait an see.

I have added the pictures I took today.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #799015 22nd Oct 2019 1:11pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
I can not believe that they are launching the vehicle when its clearly not ready to be launched, it's a Censored ing joke to be honest. 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #799051 22nd Oct 2019 6:29pm
ids

United Kingdom 
Nice pics. Good weather helps !

The 6 weeks for the 90 being on the configurator sounds about right. Jan 2020 by the time as 6 weeks rolls round.

I'd really like to drive one however I am sure everyone feels that way. Even the journo's havn't yet apparently.

I am supprised how little interest there is on the 'enthusiast' sites like this. I wonder if JLR are worried ?
Post #799053 22nd Oct 2019 6:30pm
ids

United Kingdom 
AndrewS wrote:
I can not believe that they are launching the vehicle when its clearly not ready to be launched, it's a Censored ing joke to be honest.

Agreed.

I recon they had to rush the launch as it was inevitable it was going to be leaked. I think we are seeing the last months of development in public and they are trying to keep the interest up until a proper launch. ie Veh at dealers etc.
Post #799055 22nd Oct 2019 6:32pm
markb110

IDS

I think that you are correct, I was negative and first but then decided to have an open mind. Others that have seen it have knocked certain parts of the vehicle when displayed.

The LR guy I was speaking to was very honest to questions and my observations. If you have seen any of the pre production vehicles at Dunsfold you can see the things 'done' to get a new car on the road.

For the committed loose trim, dodgy steering wheel and beige interiors don't help to give a good first impression (especially regarding the cost) but if you look at the vehicle with a view to gain knowledge of dimensions, interior space and seating position then in that respect it is doing its job.

If I had the money and was willing to sell my 90 TD5 Hardtop I would rather see and drive the end product before committing at this time.

Last edited by markb110 on 23rd Oct 2019 12:09pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #799072 22nd Oct 2019 7:58pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
ids wrote:
AndrewS wrote:
I can not believe that they are launching the vehicle when its clearly not ready to be launched, it's a Censored ing joke to be honest.

Agreed.

I recon they had to rush the launch as it was inevitable it was going to be leaked. I think we are seeing the last months of development in public and they are trying to keep the interest up until a proper launch. ie Veh at dealers etc.

They did this with the D5 the car at my dealers vip night was pre production model and shambolic - rough/thin plastic, dash glitchy, door alignment issues, rear seat fold had failed. Was a really poor show, they were all crushed soon after. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #799099 22nd Oct 2019 9:07pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Having to have a fire extinguisher on hand for a parked car is a worry!!
Post #799119 23rd Oct 2019 5:10am
King Luis

Canada 
I’m very interested in the new defender in a couple years. I’m surprised how hard some people are on the new defender. Seeing other pre-production cars, you cannot expect things to perfect on them. IE: some materials and panels lining up, etc.
What I’m wondering is what the blind spot is like with that c pillar? What the North American spec will look like with the ugly reflectors we have to have on our cars?
Post #799149 23rd Oct 2019 11:39am
markb110

Co1 wrote:
Having to have a fire extinguisher on hand for a parked car is a worry!!

Hi.

The vehicle was connected to a battery charger that in turn was run off of a generator.

Elf and safety n all that Thumbs Up
Post #799152 23rd Oct 2019 12:08pm
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
King Luis wrote:
I’m very interested in the new defender in a couple years. I’m surprised how hard some people are on the new defender. Seeing other pre-production cars, you cannot expect things to perfect on them. IE: some materials and panels lining up, etc.
What I’m wondering is what the blind spot is like with that c pillar? What the North American spec will look like with the ugly reflectors we have to have on our cars?

But they have sent us the PR and all the hype says this is “The new Defender”

No chat about pre production or different plastics. The vast majority of viewers are going to see a finished article and unless they talk to the host, that’s what they come away thinking they just experienced. Bad idea as all my neighbours and friends who have seen it now don’t want one off the back of the shoddy build. 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #799156 23rd Oct 2019 12:54pm
King Luis

Canada 
well thats a shame. i really don't think LR would have many cheap plastics on a $60k+ (CDN) vehicle. it'd be really dumb of them. especially the wheel. i'm staying hopeful and still interested in getting one in a year or two.
Post #799204 23rd Oct 2019 5:59pm
nidge n

I think that the plastic is here to stay, look at the other LR products. I viewed a D5 recently which wasn't for me. I had high hopes on the new Defender but the plastic checker plate was a bridge too far Big Cry If it wasn't called Defender then i don't think i would give this car a second glance. It just doesn't look a 60-70K car. And at the price point, a second hand Vogue offers better value.

Ultimately for me, when i put new and old together, there is only one choice. I am still a LR supporter, however they have moved too far away from their DNA. I understand that they needed to develop and adapt other models to appeal to new markets. I Just thought that the new Defender would be a more honest, practical offering. Like the Wrangler is for Jeep. I will happily stick with my 110 and my Heritage but wanted to add the new Defender. For me at least, that will sadly not be happening.

Click image to enlarge
Post #799221 23rd Oct 2019 7:14pm
Tim in Scotland

I quite agree about the fake checker plate, especially black stuff. I’m not a fan of the real stuff on bonnets and wing tops although I do have some on the rear quarter panels of my 90 to protect them

Click image to enlarge
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #799243 23rd Oct 2019 9:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>