↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Strange noise from underneath
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RoddyK05

Scotland 2004 Defender 90 Td5 SW Yellow
Strange noise from underneath
I have recently developed a strange noise coming from under the motor. When I hit about 31-32 mph in 3rd, 4th or 5th gear I get a metallic ringing or tinkling noise coming from underneath. It is only there when the speed is kept steady at the 31-32, if I lift off, accelerate or press the clutch pedal it goes away. It’s gotten a bit noisier, probably enough that pedestrians would be able to hear it, but not anything that sounds terminal at present.
Just wondering if this is symptomatic of something common that I should be getting addressed, or is it just another rattle to add to the few I have.
Any ideas or suggestions will be implemented when it’s in the garage next week some time to get the diff lock linkage looked at. Oh, there’s a thing, the diff lock has recently stopped working - if I push it over to the left it is very stiff and will return to the right when I let go the lever. I wonder if the two are connected 🤔
Post #797346 8th Oct 2019 10:15pm
isy02

Scotland 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
Hi Roddy
Had similar on my puma recently although at a slightly higher speed,turned out to be loose exhaust heat shield.
Post #797355 9th Oct 2019 5:58am
Scotm

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Orkney Grey
I had similar noise -turned out the lower bolt on a bracket for the DPF had worked loose.

Only found it after removing all the heat shields first as a method of elimination.

It might just be a loose bolt on the exhaust.
Post #797360 9th Oct 2019 6:58am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Another place to check are the front brake stone guards as they can make this kind of noise. At faster speeds the air moving past holds them in place and stops the noise. To begin with just pinch the retaining peg closed a tad and it will stop the noise.
Post #797361 9th Oct 2019 7:25am
T140

Scotland 2007 Defender 90 Td5 HT Zambezi Silver
I had a similar noise on a previous car it turned out to be a loose dirt shield ( if that's the term for it ) on one of the transfer box output shafts, a punch and a hammer fixed it. nobody is perfect but being Scottish is a start
Post #797416 9th Oct 2019 2:14pm
Siwynne

England 
I have had something similar going on for over 18 months. A metallic jingling sound at about 1550 rpm. Mine is rpm dependant in 4th 5th and 6th under load. I have done everything to find it bar running it in gear on a lift. I’ve searched every nook and cranny and tweaked or moved every heat shield. I’ve used a go pro under the car to film various components to see if they are harmonically vibrating. I will be watching with interest to see if this is resolved.
I’m also going to remove my exhaust soon as the truck has Had a new head in the past and i have a small suspicion something has been dropped/ left inside some part of the exhaust whilst it has been off
Post #797451 9th Oct 2019 6:13pm
RoddyK05

Thanks all for the replies, definitely stuff to look out for when it’s in the garage (hopefully) next week. If there is anything found I’ll definitely post on here. As I said, it doesn’t sound that serious, but it’s just the annoyance/embarrassment factor of driving along the road and tinkling away. Fingers crossed it’s just something that needs a wee tighten up.
As Siwynne has mentioned, I had thought about attaching an action camera to the underneath to watch what was going on, but as it’s due into the garage anyway soon then this might be my fall back option Thumbs Up
Post #797476 9th Oct 2019 7:47pm
RoddyK05

Well the motor was in last week for it’s service, free off the difflock and replace a weeping N/S rear oil seal. I asked the lads to have a good look for anything loose which they duly did. They never found anything untoward but as part of the service they greased up the prop shafts. The noise has disappeared for now (hopefully permanently) with nothing obvious found. Maybe it was a dry joint on a prop shaft, I don’t know. I know this is of no use to anyone who might have a similar problem, but these are my findings.
Post #800415 1st Nov 2019 9:44pm
RoddyK05

DOH!!!!!
After a decent run at the weekend -150+miles - I can confirm my ringing noise is back. Seems quieter in the cold mornings, getting more noticeable as things heat up. Back to the drawing board then Neutral
Post #801119 6th Nov 2019 8:56pm
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
Mine has a similar noise, having gone through it and spoken to a couple of others, I've come to the conclusion it's wear in the transfer box. Quite possibly the bushing which supports the intermediate shaft.

Fresh TBox oil tends to quieten it down for a bit. The noise has been there and not gotten worse for 30k though!
Post #801126 6th Nov 2019 9:20pm
jimonut

2005 Defender 110 2.5 TD SW Alpine White
mine was making a similar noise , ended up being the transmission brake .Put the transfer box in neutral and the car in gear and rev see if the noise is there and then pull up the handbrake and see if it disapears
Post #805544 9th Dec 2019 8:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1