↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Pictures & Video > Interesting video about catch-cans and EGR valves
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Wayne
In my (limited) opinion this isn't really related to the EGR function implicitly. The "catch can" just lessens the effect of the EGR in the gumming-up of your intake. It's almost parallel to the EGR. However the gunk caught in the catch can is prevented from being re-cycled into the inlet side of the engine, thus reducing dirty deposits.

The EGR is related:

Quote:
Exhaust gases are being redirected into the intake system (i.e. EGR), in an effort to reduce NOx emissions and reduce combustion temperatures. These gases contain carbon particulates ("soot"). These particles are abrasive and not conducive to optimal engine performance. On their own, the soot particles are a dry by-product of combustion and will not clog up the intake system that badly, rather they will form sooty coatings. However, they may reduce the effectiveness of engine oils and potentially increase wear.

There is another unwanted element in the intake system, and that is the oily mist that comes in the gases from the crankcase ventilation circuit. This is the oil that we want to remove from the circuit with the oil catch can (e.g. Provent). Why? Because the combination of oily mist and carbon soot meet at the EGR valve and form a congealed, sticky god awful mess that is what we see in the "blocked EGR" photos. The vapourised oil is the "glue". This combination is a very bad one.

The catch can (I hope) is an easy fix to reduce SOME of the nasty stuff in the intake. It does not delete the EGR, it actually HELPS the EGR

Altho my EGR is (sounds like) on the way out, I think I will be keeping the EGR, and when it fails I'll replace it (and probably try to fix my old EGR and keep it on the shelf as a spare).

Cheers Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #795315 27th Sep 2019 5:36am
MartinK

Also, FYI, My ProVent has been on for around 400 miles now. A few shorter journeys and yesterday a 300 mile drive from Silverdale to Aviemore, fairly well loaded inside, plus towing a small-ish trailer.

I sat between 55 and 65 mph, mostly on cruise.

So far my catch can has not "caught" anything visible.

A sign the motor is good I guess Thumbs Up Whistle Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #795316 27th Sep 2019 5:39am
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
hi Martin,

for starts if you like others are happy with the provent then that's only a good thing.
I'm sure it can only be either nill benefit or a benefit and not detrimental to the engine so hopefully that's another good thing.
I just realised isn't this thing catching the mist of the cylinder head? I need to have another look at the video.
Post #795327 27th Sep 2019 6:54am
MartinK

Quote:
I just realised isn't this thing catching the mist of the cylinder head?

It is, Sir... Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #797358 9th Oct 2019 6:24am
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I'm interested in this but have a few queries...

1. Has anybody removed the intake and cleaned out the crap? If so any notable improvement in engine performance?
Everyone is interested in improving the restrictive intake system but this seems to have been overlooked.

2. Given the limited space, why is everybody using the provent 200? the 100 or 150 look fine from the specification? The 100 even has 19mm inlet & outlet and also the outlet can be rotated at 90degree intervals which may improve return plumbing to the airbox.
https://oe-products.mann-hummel.com/filead...ion_EN.pdf > 110 XS Double Cab
> Instagram @simonlanemind
Post #798491 17th Oct 2019 10:15am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234