↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > My 90 V8 Project
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 6 <123456
Print this entire topic · 
L110CDL

England 
Great find there and good to hear that the pressure is better than before Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #775339 28th May 2019 7:49pm
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
Finally got hold of a replacement 1.4 ratio transfer box. Managed to get a low mileage TD5 item as it was one of the ones produced with a 1.6 ratio sticker on it.

Fitted it without too much of an issue. The handbrake mechanism was a bit fiddly to replace but no issues. Had to put an econoseal connector on the diff lock switch in place of the Sumitomo one. Much better than the old diff lock switch with spade terminals.

Also replaced the gearbox oil with some fresh MTF94.

Gearing is much better now. Need to investigate the gear selector though as 5th gear is very tricky to get.

Fitted a new flatdog steering guard though:

Click image to enlarge

Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread

Mobile Diesel Heater Build Thread
Post #787217 16th Aug 2019 5:18pm
rallysteve

Have had a persistent issue with a coolant weep from the thermostat housing. I knew one of the threads on the retaining bolts was a bit dodgy so decided to fix it properly as there was a constant puddle sitting in the valley gasket. Had a quick drive over to Paddock spares at Matlock Saturday morning for a new thermostat gasket and valley gasket. Amusingly the unbranded, unpackaged thermostat gasket was better quality than the genuine one i used before and only cost 90p!

To get good access to helicoil it, i decided it would be best to remove the inlet manifold:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Two M8 helicoils installed with new caphead bolts and a proper gasket now:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I was going to reuse the coolant as its not long been in but managed to miss the tub superbly when emptying it. Cue a quick trip to Halfords before they shut for some overpriced antifreeze. Since fitting a new thermostat, its been a Censored to bleed and warm up is pretty erratic so drilled a new 3.5mm bleed hole in the 'stat. Bled up much easier this time.

Click image to enlarge

All back together and running better than before i think. No sign of leaks and it certainly got up to temperature sitting in traffic in almost 30deg weather on the way back to the workshop as it seems everyone headed into the Peak District this weekend.

Click image to enlarge

Cheers,

Post #788608 25th Aug 2019 8:14pm
L110CDL

England 
Good news that you have sorted out the leaking issue Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #789225 28th Aug 2019 7:44pm
rallysteve

Cheers Thumbs Up

Coolant will have to come out again shortly as the water pump bearing had a bit of play in it, although not yet leaking, so I will change is sooner rather than later.

Cheers,

Post #790015 2nd Sep 2019 7:21am
rallysteve

Finally had enough of the stupid static seatbelts that make leaning forward at junctions hard and are always getting trapped in the door so ordered some 3point inertia belts (in sporty blue Rolling with laughter).

Click image to enlarge

Made up a couple of brackets from 4mm steel and bolted them through the original mounting brackets which brace to the tub, seatbox and mid outriggers.

Excuse the dusty seats, had been lying on the floor and was rushing to get finished before i went home. Didn't get chance to refit the cubby either.

Post #791501 9th Sep 2019 6:12pm
L110CDL

England 
Like the sporty blue there Wink

Another day will finish the cubby box Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #794049 19th Sep 2019 7:21pm
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
Nice build. Over on Deboss garage on YouTube they are doing an international quarantine car show. On the judging panel are the chaps from Bad Obsession Motorsport (covering the Bracket category, naturally) 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #828157 28th Apr 2020 8:55am
Hufflepuff

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Tonga Green
rallysteve wrote:

I spent yesterday evening in front of the TV labelling all of the engine wires and fitting some connectors where it will plug into the bulkhead loom:

Click image to enlarge

Hello Steve, what a fantastic build and thread! Of particular interest to me is the wiring labels you made, would you mind telling me what tools you used to create them please?

I would like to do something similar on my own build. 2005 Td5 90 XS
1989 V8 110 CSW
Post #831977 19th May 2020 12:11pm
rallysteve

Thanks, sorry I missed your original question!

Those cable numbers are simply made using a cheap handheld brother label printer (mine was an Aldi special buy years ago but Screwfix/Amazon etc do them). I use 9mm width tape which is the flexible type intended for cable marking. As they dont really stick well on that size of cable (and they are intended to be used like flags) i then place a length of clear heatshrink over them to seal them up. Just make sure you use a hot air gun to shrink them rather than flame as it will discolour clear heatshrink.

I use this method on most of my wiring that needs labelling (including my whole house when i rewired) it is a little sad but pleases my OCD Embarassed

Cheers

Last edited by rallysteve on 1st Jun 2020 12:04pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #834553 1st Jun 2020 11:14am
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
That pleases my OCD no end Steve!!
Post #834560 1st Jun 2020 11:43am
Hufflepuff

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Tonga Green
rallysteve wrote:
Thanks, sorry I missed your original question!

Those cable numbers are simply made using a cheap handheld brother label printer (mine was an Aldi special buy years ago but Screwfix/Amazon etc do them). I use 9mm width tape which is the flexible type intended for cable marking. As they dont really stick well on that size of cable (and they are intended to be used like flags) i then place a length of clear heatshrink over them to seal them up. Just make sure you use a hot air gun to shrink them rather than flame as it will discolour clear heatshrink.

I use this method on most of my wiring that needs labelling (including my whole house when i rewired) it is a little sad but pleases my OCD Embarassed

Cheers
Steve

That's great, thanks Steve. I'll look at the Screwfix website. 2005 Td5 90 XS
1989 V8 110 CSW
Post #834585 1st Jun 2020 1:39pm
Shroppy

United Kingdom 1986 Defender 130 V8 Petrol HCPU Aintree Green
I've just read this from start to finish, great workmanship!

Would you mind sharing the source of your fuel and oil hoses (and fittings) please? I'm keen to do something similar for the 130.

Also, did you manage to find all the necessary connectors for your looms to mate with the TD5 bulkhead loom? I'll be doing something similar for the chassis loom I think. 1985 127 V8 Build Thread
Series 2 109"
Series 1 80"
Post #834597 1st Jun 2020 2:35pm
rallysteve

Thanks Very Happy

Sure, pretty much all of my braided hose and AN fittings came from Alex at Torques UK. The quality of the stuff he supplies and the customer service has always been faultless.

I did use all the correct connectors to mate with the TD5 bulkhead loom (e.g. engine sensors, rear lighting, LH & RH wings) which are all Sumitomo HW 090 connectors. As i have also heavily modified the looms on my TD5 I purchased quite a few of them from Eastern Beaver in Japan. They can be quite pricey though when you have stung for import duty etc.

Simtek UK have a reasonable stock online and have been helpful in the past when i have wanted special order parts: https://www.simtekuk.co.uk/search.php/sumitomo

Also PaulMC on here (landrover connectors on ebay) also keeps a stock of most of the common connectors and can source the others.

The only connector I couldn't source that I needed was the 9-pin orange Sumitomo one on the bulkhead loom which connects to the chassis loom. I just replaced it with a grey version instead with an orange marker on it to avoid confusion when plugging in.

Let me know if you need any help at all, i do have a bit of a wiring fetish! Whistle
Cheers,

Post #834606 1st Jun 2020 3:17pm
Shroppy

United Kingdom 1986 Defender 130 V8 Petrol HCPU Aintree Green
Thanks for the rapid response Steve! I'll check out those suppliers when I get to the plumbing/wiring stage.

My wiring skills leave much to be desired but really appreciate the the neatness of properly sorted wiring. And, I can't find a reasonably priced source for Td5 130 chassis looms so I'll have to make one!

Cheers,

Josh 1985 127 V8 Build Thread
Series 2 109"
Series 1 80"
Post #834609 1st Jun 2020 3:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 6 <123456