GREENI

United Kingdom 
Looks nice Cool top job
Post #765384 25th Mar 2019 9:53pm
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
Well the big day was Friday! And the result was:

Click image to enlarge

Didnt go quite as smoothly as hoped though. Got down to the workshop nice and early to finish off a few jobs. Engine fired up fine and ran quite nicely after we replaced the FPR vacuum hose which was leaking. After warming up, switched off the engine and cracked on with the some other jobs.

MOT was booked for 1pm so at around 12 went to start it up again and wouldnt fire. Turning over fine but just wouldn't catch. Frantic diagnosis showed that fuel was being injected, no ECU faults were registered, spark was nice and strong at the plug lead. However it seemed that the spark plugs had had enough and were arcing through the ceramic cone around the electrode! Fortunately eurocarparts had 8 NGK plugs in stock so a 1hr round trip to collect, quickly fitted and it fired up perfectly again!

Drove over to the MOT without issues and passed with no advisories which was good. Emissions were 2.75% CO and less than 200ppm HC which was a pleasant surprise. However the breather hose was removed from the plenum to lean the mix up so we still have some very rich running for some reason. Idle is lovely with the hose off, and all over the place with it back on.

Took the scenic route back to the workshop from the MOT station Cool

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale

Mobile Diesel Heater Build Thread
Post #766357 1st Apr 2019 10:53am
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Congratulations. Nice photos too.
Post #766358 1st Apr 2019 11:39am
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Great work! You must be chuffed! Thumbs Up Bow down

More pics please Whistle James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #766385 1st Apr 2019 3:49pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Love it, mine got mot'd Friday, meaning it has been on the road for 2 years, now in its 3rd. Only 6600 miles !

Yes, please post more pics, it looks great!
Post #766388 1st Apr 2019 4:35pm
rallysteve

Thanks all, pleased and a little surprised it went through without any issues. Especially given the last minute spark plug drama which meant we didnt have chance to check over all the bolts etc.

We did at least check all the lights in the morning to find that two relays had given up the ghost Big Cry

We have ordered an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to see if it can lean up the mixture a little bit. With a proper fuel pressure gauge connected up, we are getting almost 40psi without manifold vacuum and mid 30s with it idling. This seems a little high and could be a factor of back pressure created by the swirl pot on the return line. Therefore we are going to trim it to the exact figures it should be using an adjustable regulator.

The black smoke on acceleration is proof that there is just too much fuel going in.

There is a few creaks and knocks developing which will need checking out and we have realised that we forgot to swap to the defender speedo drive in the transfer box so the speedo is under reading by about 10%.

Had a bit of a scare on the way back when the oil pressure gauge went from around 2bar off the end of the scale. Fortunately it turned out that we hadnt properly reconnected the sensor earth when the alternator got swapped out.

Cheers,

Post #766541 2nd Apr 2019 4:03pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
I didn't fit an oil pressure gauge, one less gauge to worry about... I just constantly watch the fuel gauge Laughing

After a few days on the road, I went front to back, top to bottom and tweaked every single nut and bolt, armed with a white paint pen, just for peace of mind.
Post #766544 2nd Apr 2019 4:12pm
HK07

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Cairns Blue
^^^ That's a good idea Greeni 2007 90 Puma - Love it - Best car I have ever owned.

1989 Ninety 200tdi - Love it - Second best car I have ever owned.

1951 80" Series 1 - Love it - Third best car I have ever owned.
Post #766576 2nd Apr 2019 6:50pm
rallysteve

A few more bits ticked off the list this weekend. I managed to find a way to mount a central locking motor to the lift up handle doors without impeding the door card fitment:

Click image to enlarge

It took a bit of CAD (cardboard aided design) to get something that fitted before making it in 1.2mm aluminium but quite pleased with it. Seems to work nicely although i ran out of time/patience to make one for the other door. I also had to make a new lock rod as the one we had was wrong and they are no longer available. Used a door handle rod stolen from my 205gti to make a new one. Sadly the thread on the top of the original was rolled and therefore slightly larger than the rod diameter so the lock pin doesn't screw one. A dab of adhesive will do the job though.

Also got the interior mirror fitted. It is worth noting that when fitting a TD5 headliner to an older vehicle, you should also use the mirror bracket that goes on the windscreen off the same vehicle. The mirror bracket on ours is set back too far and at the wrong angle. I therefore had to cut some M4 screws down to the right length and fit with some spacers. A real faff!

Click image to enlarge

Post #767594 8th Apr 2019 12:03pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Nice work with the central locking. I do like a bit of cardboard aided design Smile

You comment about the rear view mirror is odd, though. A little while ago, I fitted a very late headlining to a 200tdi 90 and it was a direct fit, with the exception of a couple of fir tree holes. The mirror in you picture looks like it may not be a standard one Confused Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #767601 8th Apr 2019 12:21pm
rallysteve

Thanks Thumbs Up

Interesting. Although a 200tdi might have had a similar headlining profile originally to the TD5 one. The original headlining in this vehicle was 84', a fair bit before.

The mirror is definately a standard one though as it is brand new. Its hard to explain the issue, without a picture behind the headlining, but the plate with the three rivnuts in is at a totally different angle to the headlining and about 1/2" behind at the back and 1" behind at the front.

Cheers,

Post #767603 8th Apr 2019 12:37pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Ah, perhaps it was different in the very early days. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #767606 8th Apr 2019 12:54pm
rallysteve

Not a vast amount to update at the moment. Had the day with it on Friday to tinker and tick a few more jobs off the list. We managed to connect up the central locking on the passenger door and fit the door card, handle etc.

Fitted the other speaker in the dashboard after winning a set with spacers on ebay for 99p! A new battery was well overdue after having to have it on the charger for an hour each weekend

Click image to enlarge

Made a small amount of progress on the rich mixture. The fuel pressure was a little high in the rail which I am attributing to the fuel flow from the Sytec pump being too high for the original FPR. We fitted an adjustable FPR from Tornado Systems onto a custom bracket onto the plenum, which has let us bring the fuel pressure down a little to just below the book specs (32psi rather than 36psi) which seems to have helped a little. It doesn’t smell as rich anymore and the black smoke under acceleration has mostly gone.

Click image to enlarge

Tried resetting the base idle but it just will not maintain a steady idle below 700rpm, it just hunts until it cuts out. The idle stepper motor overcompensates when reconnected. Set it a little higher so base idle when hot is in the region of 800rpm which seems much better.

Changed the thermostat as warm up seemed to take a while when driving and we had not changed it. The new thermostat (Motaquip) had a smaller bleed hole which made getting air out of the system a little more challenging. It now seems to hold temperature nicely in the low 90s though.

Had the worrying issue whilst driving on Friday afternoon of loss of oil pressure as indicated by gauge and lamp. Fortunately noticed immediately and shut down. Checked over, no sign of leaks and still well up the dipstick. Cautiously restarted engine and oil pressure back to normal. Several times whilst driving the pressure seemed to be dropping on the gauge from the 2-2.5bar normal pressure down to 1bar. Again, stopping and starting the engine again seemed to resolve the issue. Driving over the weekend, the oil pressure was rock solid with no issued. I am assuming the issue was either a sticky pressure relief valve, something stuck on the pickup pipe or loose pickup pipe. Am going to take the sump off to check.

Swapped the speedo drive over to a blue 20tooth Defender one which gives spot on speed reading against the GPS. Removed the unusual 23 tooth V8 one which we hadn’t thought about until seeing how much the speedo was under reading.

Click image to enlarge

Have now realised that the gearing is a little on the long side. As we have a V8 R380 manual box, it has the higher ratio 5th gear. We have also retained the Discovery 1.2 ratio transfer box and now have the 255/85 tyres, this means it feels a little sluggish and i didn’t really even use 5th on the B-roads. 30mph in first is possible at just over 4200rpm. According to a fag packet calc, max revs in 5th would be over 160mph which is obviously too high. It does mean motorway cruising should be fairly economical though. I think we will swap to a Defender 1.4 ratio transfer to bring it back down a bit and make it feel a little more nippy at lower speeds.

It got a wash and polish last weekend too:

Click image to enlarge

And a bit of trim around the cage cutouts:

Click image to enlarge

Cheers,

Post #769726 23rd Apr 2019 5:03pm
OJ

Scotland 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Great work Steve, very nice job.
OJ
Post #769864 24th Apr 2019 12:41pm
rallysteve

Well have put about 500miles on it so far. No major problems as it seems to be running well mixture wise now. Took the plugs out at the weekend and they are all the correct colour rather than blackened as they were previously.

Had another spell of fluctuating oil pressure though so decided to take the sump off. Fortunately much easier space wise than the TD5 one as it clears the diff. A previous idiot has stuck the sump on with gallons of silicone sealant and no gasket which made it very hard to get off. As soon as i got it off the issue was obvious:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Pickup pipe almost totally blocked by bits of carbon, sludge and silicone sealant. The issue with the V8 (and most steel oil pans) is that the drain is located on the side. This means that due to the wall thickness of the threaded boss, the bottom 3mm or so of the sump is never drained. As a result 3mm of sludge resides there. This, along with previous people using excessive and unsuitable amounts of silicone had blocked the pickup at random. This also explained why stopping the engine (thus stopping suction) and restarting again restored the pressure.

All cleaned out:

Click image to enlarge

Pick up fitted with a new gasket and a new correct cork sump gasket fitted. Oil pressure now better than it has been and stays rock steady between 2 and 2.5bar warm or cold.

Post #775327 28th May 2019 7:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 6 <123456>