↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Pictures & Video > Interesting video about catch-cans and EGR valves
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
^^ Sorry, I'm not sure what you're getting at here.

Are you saying that fitting a catch-can results in more frequent oil changes (not true, quite the opposite in fact), or that refitting the EGR will result in more frequent oil changes (also probably not true).

Perhaps you've heard that the catch-can needs draining every few thousand miles (which solely depends on how much oil is blowing out of the breather)?
Post #788185 22nd Aug 2019 8:51am
Tommo

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 Black LE Java Black
Perhaps you've heard that the catch-can needs draining every few thousand miles (which solely depends on how much oil is blowing out of the breather)?

Probably this is what I heard.
Makes more sense than oil change every few thousand miles Rolling Eyes
Post #788268 22nd Aug 2019 4:10pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
personally I'm out.

according to video egr improves mgg. I and others have seen a circa 10% increase in mpg following egr blanking.

according to video the egr helps reduce thermal stress on engine yet if I interpreted it correctly it states egr is closed on max throttle which is when I would have assumed there would be max thermal stress?

doesn't stack up to me but what do I know. for now I'll stick with the blank Mr. Green

it might not be all good but I'm happy in the knowledge that I'm using less fuel so that has to have some benefits to the planet Thumbs Up
Post #788270 22nd Aug 2019 4:25pm
Tommo

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 Black LE Java Black
The problem is that there is no printed evidence (that I know of) on the exact implication of removing the EGR.
I want to return to exactly how my defender left the factory so hence the decision to re-instate the EGR.
I also would hate to be on the wrong end of some jerk from an insurance company trying to find any reason not to pay a claim should I have an accident and believe me they do.
Is it legal to drive a modified vehicle which has had its emissions control features altered??
Post #788281 22nd Aug 2019 6:13pm
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
^^^
Probably not . It was put on to meet emission regs, so without it it will most likely not. Rolling Eyes 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #788289 22nd Aug 2019 6:42pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Caterham wrote:
personally I'm out.

according to video egr improves mgg. I and others have seen a circa 10% increase in mpg following egr blanking.

according to video the egr helps reduce thermal stress on engine yet if I interpreted it correctly it states egr is closed on max throttle which is when I would have assumed there would be max thermal stress?

doesn't stack up to me but what do I know. for now I'll stick with the blank Mr. Green

it might not be all good but I'm happy in the knowledge that I'm using less fuel so that has to have some benefits to the planet Thumbs Up

Wayne - agree bud. My jury is out re the EGR benefits (or not), but the Catch Can doesnt not seem to have a downside, just stops oil from the engine breather gunking up the inlet system...
Years back my mates used to put the breather from the engine into a beer can strapped to the frame for the same reason...
 Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #788312 22nd Aug 2019 8:50pm
MartinK

Thanks to all on this thread, especially Blackwolf for the guidance in fitting. And Bob for selling me the ProVent.

I just completed mine:

Click image to enlarge

The existing 19mm pipe from the top of the engine to the air intake system fitted perfectly with a "Reducer" as Blackwolf said. It just needed shortening by a few cm to fit bang on.
The lower vent goes to the air system, and was a bit of a pain. I ended up using a 25mm to 19mm "reducer" elbow pipe with a 2nd 90 degree plastic elbow.
The ProVent drains through the one-way valve into a little plastic shampoo bottle ("borrowed" from a hotel) below. I'll be watching for any oil residue. From my pic earlier in the thread, I'm definitely getting a bit of oil residue into the pipework - it'll be interesting to see how much it collects!

I have one (still sealed) left-over "reducer" as per https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Provent-200-Red...Sw7CBdR4f9
I also have a spare LLN500030 (unused) if anyone wants one.
Pic:

Click image to enlarge

£10 + delivery for the Reducer adaptor
£4 + delivery for the hose Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)

Last edited by MartinK on 18th Sep 2019 7:25pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #793781 18th Sep 2019 12:31pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I'll take the hose, please Martin. This job is on my 'list of things to do' and that's the final piece of the puzzle. Let me know who you'd like paying.

I'm intrigued how you've ended up with a spare reducer? Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #793783 18th Sep 2019 12:53pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
PM sent
Post #793784 18th Sep 2019 12:53pm
MartinK

LandRoverAnorak wrote:
I'll take the hose, please Martin. This job is on my 'list of things to do' and that's the final piece of the puzzle. Let me know who you'd like paying.

I'm intrigued how you've ended up with a spare reducer?

All yours, LRA... Where are you? can I drop it off on my travels?

ZED - Provent Reducer reserved for you

I didn't use the 2nd reducer, as I bought a 25mm - 19mm reducer hose (fitted better in my installation) for the lower port. Like https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/90-Degree-Silic...2749.l2649
However the reducer I am selling is perfect for the top port as this attaches to the 19mm hose direct from the top of the engine. Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #793785 18th Sep 2019 12:55pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Ah, cunning! I'll PM about the hose. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #793788 18th Sep 2019 1:17pm
MartinK

I've been asked by PM for a bit more info on the ProVent install.

First...the mounting. If you have a look back on this thread at Blackwolf's pics, you will see he's created a bracket to bring the ProVent out into the engine bay a bit, away from the wing. About 5-6 cm away from the wing. I had to do the same. Basically there's not enough height between the wheelarch plastic liner, and the (closed) bonnet, so it has to be extended into the engine bay. Here's mine:

Click image to enlarge

Next easiest is the "feed" from the breather at the top of the engine. It just pulls off at the Air Filter end. Here's the next smart "find" from Blackwolf, the KAON reducer screws into the ProVent and changes the diameter of the ProVent vent from 25mm to 19mm. If you do that the existing pipe is a direct fit (once you shorten it and trim a few CM off the end). I tried to make sure the pipe was flowing downwards from the engine to the ProVent to make sure it doesn't get a block of sludge. Here:

Click image to enlarge

Linky to the KAON reducer: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Provent-200-Red...4902.l9144

Next thing (Blackwolf has a very nice Nugget airbox, but if you have standard one). Taking the lower ProVent port back to the Air Box connector. This was really tight for me. I had expected to use the KAON again, but did not have enough room. So i bought a 25mm - 19mm angle elbow from ebay, and a plastic 19mm bend.
Pics:

Click image to enlarge

and

Click image to enlarge

The 25mm - 19mm elbow (sadly they only have in blue) here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/90-Degree-Silic...4902.l9144
The 90 degree bend here:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tefen-Nylon-Pip...2749.l2648

Finally, the drain. You can just see this on one of the pictures (2nd above), it's a half-inch pipe, through a one way valve. Mine just connects into a small shampoo bottle beside the wheelarch (careful as not to foul the steering column). Blackwolf explains that you need the one way valve because the system runs in negative (i.e. sucking) pressure, and will draw in unfiltered air without the valve.
One way valve here:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PROVENT-200-bre...SwaA5WjToh

Also... lots of jubilee clips.

My brackets are not the best (they are off a Suzuki GS850 pannier mounting system!). Seems OK so far, but I may improve the design in time...The ProVent is VERY close (about 2mm) from the brake master cylinder...

Hope that helps! Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)

Last edited by MartinK on 19th Sep 2019 12:51pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #793947 19th Sep 2019 11:17am
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Thanks for the detailed post. Very helpful.
Post #793967 19th Sep 2019 12:19pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Yes, thanks for posting Thumbs Up 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #793969 19th Sep 2019 12:30pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
to my mind this provent is definitely a benefit from standard, BUT I'M not convinced its as good or better than blanking the egr but please bear in mind that's from an un-educated fool. Mr. Green
Post #795243 26th Sep 2019 6:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>