↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > one for the push bikers - gps
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
one for the push bikers - gps
hi looking to buy a bike computer / gps.

Cycle Republic and a great offer on the Garmin 820. Granted it's been superseded recently by the 830 but with a circa 60% it's the one that's caught my eye.

would like any advice / suggestions from those in the know.

the big motivating force behind the purchase is to ensure I don't get lost on the first and probably most difficult day of my upcoming pilgrimage which leads me to my mean question. day 1 will be up n over the Pyrenees. Assuming I can find the relevant gpx file for the route how does this work in terms of background mapping? does the gpx file hold this info, does the garmin come with all relevant maps or will I have to buy the European maps and down load this onto the garmin?

many thanks Thumbs Up
Post #790060 2nd Sep 2019 11:36am
DG123

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Hi Caterham

All of the bike Garmin’s come with free maps and free upgrades (the ones that support turn by turn nav, not the cheaper ones with breadcrumb trails). If you buy one in the UK you will get Euro Maps installed on a mini SD card so will be fine in the Pyrenees. Plotting a route directly on the Garmin is a bit hit and miss so I always plot a route externally and then download the .gpx or .tcx to the device. I use the Garmin app, plot-a-route or Strava (Strava has the advantage of highlighting the most popular cycling routes so prevents you inadvertently sending yourself down a motorway or busy dual carriageway).

I bought the Garmin Touring - was relatively cheap compared to the Edge series and is ‘just’ a bike sat-nav - I have a multi-sport watch for all the Edge ‘training’ features. The only downside is the micro SD card supplied is too small to easily upgrade the map updates, it can be done but with a bit of faffing. I use it a lot and it works OK with bike suitable directions most of the time - you just have to get the settings right or it sometimes takes you astray just so it can fit in a bit of towpath 🙄 (this can be prevented by following the caveat above and disabling auto route correction). 2012 110 XS SW Orkney Grey
2003 D2 Td5 Black [SOLD]
Post #790079 2nd Sep 2019 1:02pm
TJH1985

United Kingdom 
Edge 1000 here, I use Strava to help me plot the route in the Garmin tools and then download it onto the 1000.

I use the included maps, I have also heard great things about Open Street Maps which are supported on the gamins.

Thumbs Up
Post #790084 2nd Sep 2019 1:30pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Some of the Garmins don't have best reputation, the software is buggy/crashy.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #790086 2nd Sep 2019 1:39pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Caterham

thanks guys.

where you've mentioned Strava for planning routes is this on the 'summit' version ie not the free version?

Martin - you don't know which ones are on the 'crashy' list do you ?
Post #790101 2nd Sep 2019 3:04pm
DG123

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
AFAIK route plotting is on the free Strava - I’m on a free trial at the mo, so can’t check for sure. I’m certain I never had any issues as I’ve never paid for the full version (get a few months per year free).

Garmin seem to pretty bad at making early adopters their guinea pigs - new intros seem to be very buggy which then stabilise over time. I’ve had 2 Garmin Touring GPS’s (left the first one on the Defender’s rear step whilst putting my bike in the back and forgot about it Rolling Eyes ). The replacement was much more stable 2012 110 XS SW Orkney Grey
2003 D2 Td5 Black [SOLD]
Post #790109 2nd Sep 2019 4:11pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
STRAVA

STUPID
TWA-TS
RACING
AGAINST
VIRTUAL
AS_HOLES

In case you were wondering Thumbs Up
Post #790118 2nd Sep 2019 5:38pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Whichever set up you use, I cannot recommend GPSies highly enough for route planning. https://www.gpsies.com/

I’ve used a handful of Garmins. Currently I just use my Fenix 3, as I lost my Edge, and it does the job. The Fenix 5 allows for better mapping, but I tend know where I am going so use it less for route selection, more for recording data, timing, etc. But i like the flexibility of having a watch, using it for walking, running, skiing etc. Great bit of kit, but as Martin said, it does have software wobbles every now and then.

Also, for those that are interested, i’d Also recommend Relive for post-ride 3D visualisation. Great tool. https://www.relive.cc/?hl=en

Happy riding.... Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #790123 2nd Sep 2019 6:19pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
GREENI wrote:
STRAVA

STUPID
TWA-TS
RACING
AGAINST
VIRTUAL
AS_HOLES

In case you were wondering Thumbs Up

I once left Strava on accidentally driving home from hamsterly forest. Needless to say I set a few “king of the hills” on mtb on the way home. The abuse I got from the strava community was both swift and relentless, getting called all the names under the sun! It took me about an hour to realise what I had done and cancel the run and in that time I was called a fraud and cheat by 12 different members!! Friendly and forgiving bunch! Rolling with laughter
Post #790124 2nd Sep 2019 6:37pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Hahahah.

I have had people going nuts at me, telling me they cannot ride their bike as their Garmin had broke Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Zwift is where it's at now. One of the lads at work stole all the office cooling fans, to keep him cool as he was spending his nights racing.... In the garage !
Post #790126 2nd Sep 2019 6:54pm
Caterham

telling me they cannot ride their bike as their Garmin had broke

/\ I'm not sure what's so funny about that comment. I've been struggling to get out recently as I keen finding my garmin watch has discharged not charged when I connect it up. clearly without it there's no point in going out cycling as I won't be able to record the statistics.

Rolling with laughter

interesting useful comments as ever - thank you.

ps. Greeni - I love strava but understand the comments. I'm just happy to race myself....can't get all this poxy kudos crap either.
Post #790191 3rd Sep 2019 8:19am
MussEd

Scotland 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Baltic Blue
Grenadier wrote:
Whichever set up you use, I cannot recommend GPSies highly enough for route planning. https://www.gpsies.com/

I’ve used a handful of Garmins. Currently I just use my Fenix 3, as I lost my Edge, and it does the job. The Fenix 5 allows for better mapping, but I tend know where I am going so use it less for route selection, more for recording data, timing, etc. But i like the flexibility of having a watch, using it for walking, running, skiing etc. Great bit of kit, but as Martin said, it does have software wobbles every now and then.

Also, for those that are interested, i’d Also recommend Relive for post-ride 3D visualisation. Great tool. https://www.relive.cc/?hl=en

Happy riding.... Thumbs Up

I have lost my way with regards to biking of late but happily used Garmin 810 for years without any issues - think the issues with Garmin is the software on your computer rather than the on bike units. I also used GPsies to plot routes then transferred them to my Edge. WalkHighlands is another great resource to plan routes (but obviously primarily of use to those of us up here in Scotland)
Post #790201 3rd Sep 2019 9:02am
TJH1985

United Kingdom 
Really surprised by the Garmin feedback, I ran them for maybe 10 years without faults I have had them for Golf, Cycling and Running in various forms and they have been faultless.

I have however now switched the using my Apple Watch for most things, but thats a convenience thing. The Edge 1000 comes out when I need to properly route.

Strava Rolling with laughter
Post #790217 3rd Sep 2019 9:48am
MussEd

Scotland 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Baltic Blue
Came off Strava years ago as I found I was acting like a dick to try and improve times* Went for a gap between two buses on the way home from work one morning "because I was on a time!" and nearly got pancaked. Got through it, pulled over a little further along once I regained my composure, switched off the Strava and rode home at a more sedate pace.

*I suspect I am not alone in this respect!

Quote:
Zwift is where it's at now. One of the lads at work stole all the office cooling fans, to keep him cool as he was spending his nights racing.... In the garage !

Those indoor Peleton sessions are the new big thing too. Riding in a group on a stationary bike whilst some tool shouts encouragement at you. Nah. No thanks. I saw a class being set up right beside Lake Garda in the summer there. Some of the most beautiful countryside to cycle in the world right there, and these tits are paying to take an indoor class but outdoors???
Post #790218 3rd Sep 2019 10:12am
Caterham

as with most things it's not the app, tool, machine etc that's the problem it's the moron operating it.

zwift and all that can be a great tool to exercise indoors during the winter months for example but why on earth you'd wanna be doing that next to Lake Garda heaven knows Confused

...,.oops. just realised. sorry mussed wasn't referring to you as a moron - it's just what can happen Embarassed

Mr. Green
Post #790231 3rd Sep 2019 11:00am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>