↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Stolen > Theft Fight Back Poll
Would you be willing to donate towards a trap vehicle?
1. Yes
72%
 72%  [8]
2. No
27%
 27%  [3]
Total Votes: 11

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Scoobeenut

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
Theft Fight Back Poll
With Defenders seemingly being targeted more often than ever I am just curious why we as an enthusiast community can’t do more to fight back? Obviously Police resources are scarce and unable to prevent the thefts or even investigate and it is left up to us and the insurance companies to stand the losses whilst the gangs continue to operate with impunity.

We know the areas Defenders are being regularly taken from so how hard would it be to set up trap vehicles. Trap vehicles could be bristling with hidden technology such as trackers, cameras, microphones, security dna identification markers, ultraviolet tags and any number of other methods. Also coupled with remote surveillance by teams of volunteers and or cctv monitoring.

With crowd funding or similar donations I am sure we would have the means to raise the necessary finances. I am not suggesting we should start a vigilante group but surely we could pass on surveillance and tracking information to the authorities to track down these gangs and identify where the vehicles are going. If enough high profile gangs were trapped this way surely they would start to become wary about steeling particular vehicle models?

I wonder how many members of this forum would be willing to subscribe to something like this?
Post #790181 3rd Sep 2019 7:38am
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
in theory yes I'd been keen. especially if members of the 'non vigilante' group get free issue Glocks Twisted Evil

probably needs a lot of planning etc but I like the idea Thumbs Up
Post #790189 3rd Sep 2019 8:12am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Would we also be allowed to brush the steering wheel of the honey-trap vehicle with Novichok?
Post #790196 3rd Sep 2019 8:52am
Scoobeenut

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
I like your style Blackwolf 😄
Post #790203 3rd Sep 2019 9:06am
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
Integrated taser in the seat squab gentlemen’s area!

Lock on the seatbelt and a lottery drawn from the donators who gets to push the button

All recorded on YouTube

So many human rights violated, so much fun
Post #790266 3rd Sep 2019 3:13pm
Tim in Scotland

An auto locking steering column that locks on full lock as soon as they start the engineand auto locking door locks that lock at over 2mph Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #790275 3rd Sep 2019 3:38pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
I keep mine looking filthy and unloved.
No attempts to nick it so far. 
Post #790419 4th Sep 2019 1:23am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Post #790423 4th Sep 2019 3:13am
Procta

United Kingdom 
what we need is one with a good tracker, that's not jammerable, find the location of it and then a good 20+ land rover owners, defender, disco etc. Then go to the location meaning business! Pin the arseholes to the wall, and then get the old bill, Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #790764 5th Sep 2019 6:46pm
rockster57

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
I remember back in the 80’s West Yorks Police used to operate “Rat Trap” vehicles. One in particular was the Vauxhall Magnum which at the time was very desirable to the thieves. It had doors which would deadlock and special toughened glazing that couldn’t be smashed out of. It had a silent alarm that triggered a signal to the operations room when it was activated. But whenever it was deployed it also had to be covertly observed by police officers in the vicinity, I assume for heath and safety purposes.

The tactic was very successful but costly because of the manpower requirements and the need to keep changing the “honey trap” vehicle. Thieves talk to each other and share information. The effectiveness of a single vehicle would soon diminish.

I commend the OP for taking the initiative but I really feel that for that kind of initiative, a partnership approach from the outset with a Force’s Police Commissioner is more likely to bring the results we all would like - and even if it doesn’t get off the ground, the issue of LR theft will have had its profile raised and may instigate other relevant action from the authorities.

Just my two penneth FWIW.
Post #790773 5th Sep 2019 7:37pm
JPE

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
I'd be prepared to donate towards such a worthy cause, probably a better investment than any security device.
Post #790978 6th Sep 2019 8:03pm
Landish

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 SW Belize Green
Sounds like a thoughtful initiative to help deal with a big problem. Yes, i’d be prepared to donate. 2005 Defender 90 TD5
Post #790984 6th Sep 2019 8:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1