↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > An Anorak's Utility Station Wagon
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 20 of 57 <123 ... 192021 ... 555657>
Print this entire topic · 
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Removable Steering Wheel Boss
A package arrived from Optimill today, so I thought I'd press on and fit it straight away. Their removable steering wheel boss kit comprises the two halves of the boss itself, a wheel centre cap, which I won't be using, and a small packet of fixings:

Click image to enlarge

It also includes a set of generic instructions that's heavy on the dire warnings and abdication of responsibility Rolling Eyes :

Click image to enlarge

The first step is to fit the indicator cancelling pins to the back of the boss, which involves a few gentle taps with a small hammer:

Click image to enlarge

With the steering wheel removed and both halves of the boss locked together, I mounted the complete assembly on the steering column:

Click image to enlarge

It was then a relatively simple task to fix the wheel to the boss. The kit includes six counter-sunk Allen bolts for this purpose but the one at the 9 o'clock position wouldn't screw all of the way in, for some reason. After a bit of trial and error, I eventually realised that two of the bolts are slightly shorter, for use in the holes that are over the release mechanisms Rolling Eyes

Click image to enlarge

The removable part of the boss on the rear of the steering wheel, clearly showing the two large aluminium pins that are pulled outwards to release it. These are easily reached with hands on the wheel at the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock positions:

Click image to enlarge

And the column with the wheel removed:

Click image to enlarge

Eventually, I'll almost certainly end up with the matching column lock from Optimill, too. In the meantime though, it all works exactly as expected and there's no hint of movement between the two halves of the boss. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 10th Aug 2019 4:15pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #784276 31st Jul 2019 9:43pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Good write up Thumbs Up nice steering wheel too. I can totally recommend the column lock too, saves having to carry the steering wheel with you Thumbs Up 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #784280 31st Jul 2019 9:55pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
I would put the centre cap on it, just to make it look neater if possible, I have done and it doesn't get in the way at all. Also its another step for them to take to get it the boss off too.
But it is a cracking piece of kit, I should have got one for the other defender but it is what it is on that one now. We have moved forwards Thumbs Up Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #784293 31st Jul 2019 10:13pm
LandRoverAnorak

The cap fits to the wheel but is hidden on the Startech model that I have. There's a picture a few posts up. As the wheel will be removed though, the cap won't add any security benefit. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #784296 31st Jul 2019 10:19pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
My wheel hides the centre cap too,

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

This one was a horn model wheel, i have to say though, just as well i dont use that feature, because i have had to reglue the bit leatheret centre piece down again, so just as well i didnt pay £100 quid plus for it! other wise id have been well Censored ! Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #784311 31st Jul 2019 11:30pm
LandRoverAnorak

So, having driven a few miles with it this morning, has anybody come up with a cunning way to avoid the reflections of the locking pins being visible in the windscreen? Rolling Eyes Darren

Post #784355 1st Aug 2019 12:30pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
No, but you'll stop noticing them in a fairly short time.
Post #784364 1st Aug 2019 1:19pm
boxoftricks

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
So, having driven a few miles with it this morning, has anybody come up with a cunning way to avoid the reflections of the locking pins being visible in the windscreen? Rolling Eyes

Quick squirt with some black matt paint would solve that
Post #784367 1st Aug 2019 1:23pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
So, having driven a few miles with it this morning, has anybody come up with a cunning way to avoid the reflections of the locking pins being visible in the windscreen? Rolling Eyes

I never noticed that at all, but then again I am a short arse Laughing Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #784390 1st Aug 2019 3:20pm
williamthedog

2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 PU Tamar Blue
Like already said you will get used to the reflection and won't notice it that much.
Post #784429 1st Aug 2019 7:55pm
Sulisuli

I have never noticed it either but will be looking out for it now ha ha Rolling with laughter 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #784450 1st Aug 2019 9:17pm
LandRoverAnorak

boxoftricks wrote:
LandRoverAnorak wrote:

Quick squirt with some black matt paint would solve that

It may well come to that Neutral Darren

Post #784457 1st Aug 2019 10:17pm
LandRoverAnorak

Hinge Blocks
I recently bought a set of Huttopia's rather splendid billet aluminium hinge blocks to replace the originals, as the paint on the latter was starting to bubble, despite being resprayed about eighteen months ago.

As delivered, they have a matt black, anodised finish:

Click image to enlarge

I wasn't keen on that so decided to spray them in body colour, as per the originals:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

This was achieved by prepping them with some 1200 grit wet and dry, giving them a couple of coats of etch primer, two more of regular primer, two top coats and a final coat of clear lacquer, all from rattle cans. The 1200 grit was used again between each coat except the final top coat and the lacquer. I'm very pleased with the final result:

Click image to enlarge

Huttopia very kindly includes a set of standard cardboard gaskets with his blocks, but I've always thought that their performance as gaskets was pretty poor. They also don't line up particularly well with the bolt holes:

Click image to enlarge

I therefore decided to make my own from some thin rubber sheet. It was a relatively simple task to draw around the blocks and cut them out with scissors. The holes were measured and then cut out with a scalpel:

Click image to enlarge

They were then positioned on the hinge blocks and held in place with a couple of very small dabs of superglue:

Click image to enlarge

When it came to fitting, I tackled the drivers side first. I mentioned above that the original blocks had already been repainted, which included the windscreen frame and was just before I collected the vehicle. When I removed this block, I was dismayed to find that it had obviously been re-fitted before the paint had dryed and removing the cardboard gasket took off some of the paint, too:

Click image to enlarge

There was a hint of corrosion within the bolt hole through the frame and the middle bolt, that passes through the top of the bulkhead was also quite crusty. I cleaned it all up as best I could but the paintwork will require some more attention in the near future. As a stopgap though, I taped over the three holes on the outside and then squirted Dinitrol into them from inside:

Click image to enlarge

I then replaced the bolts with stainless ones:

Click image to enlarge

And finished them off with some black caps:

Click image to enlarge

The passenger side was in much better condition, with no corrosion or damaged paint, but basically received the same treatment:

Click image to enlarge

And them both together, looking pretty much the same as when I started, except now I know they won't corrode again as soon as I look away:

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 4th Mar 2021 12:10pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #784740 3rd Aug 2019 10:49pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Great work! Look original which I like unlike some if the others on offer. Hopefully they'll last a little longer! James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #784749 3rd Aug 2019 11:10pm
Sulisuli

Tidy work and nice results Thumbs Up 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #784751 3rd Aug 2019 11:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 20 of 57 <123 ... 192021 ... 555657>