↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Pictures & Video > Interesting video about catch-cans and EGR valves
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Cheers buddy - planning to do this soon (attempting to buy a ProVent off Bob)... Keen for all knowledge I can gain Wink Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #784366 1st Aug 2019 12:21pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
blackwolf wrote:
The last one I bought came from Multifactor Europe (https://www.mfeuk.co.uk/provent/) and was £86.46 plus vat, whcih I thought was pretty reasonable. As far as I can tell, all the eBay ones must be knock-offs since they are absurdly cheap, and the filter inside looks nothing like the high-tech Mann+Hummel filter.

MFEU also sells non-return valves for the drain, which you will need if draining into a vented catch can.

I also found that there is an Australian company which makes hose adaptors specifically for the Provent 200 which simplify and neaten the installation, these are available via eBay. The service and shipping from Australia is very quick. [url=https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ssn=kaon4x4&hash=item2cac0458e0%3Ag%3Avl4AAOSwCW9dJ3UK&item=191864527072&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=provent+reducer+adaptor&_sacat=0]
Link[/url]

Thank Thumbs Up 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #784369 1st Aug 2019 12:35pm
dorsetsmith

MartinK wrote:
Cheers buddy - planning to do this soon (attempting to buy a ProVent off Bob)... Keen for all knowledge I can gain Wink

ProVent is your i bigger problems to sort ( 50gal water tank replaced and plumed in bedroom ceiling replaced and room panted) Rolling Eyes

Last edited by dorsetsmith on 15th Aug 2019 10:17pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #784377 1st Aug 2019 1:17pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Post #784508 2nd Aug 2019 8:44am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
^^ If viewing the thread in the link above be aware that the hoses are the wrong way round in the photos (the OP does acknowledge this in the text).

This site is worth a visit, it tells you how to identify the genuine M+H Provent from the deluge of Chinesium knock-offs which are flooding the market, but be aware that (as far as I can tell) the Chinese have got better are making fakes now, it is harder to tell the fake from the genuine. Remember if the price seems too good to be true, it's a fake. I don't think you'll get a new genuine one for less that £80.
Post #784513 2nd Aug 2019 9:15am
MartinK

Thanks Blackwolf, I bought mine off Bob on the forum which was part of the SteveB promotion (https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic26798.html ) so pretty confident of it's provenance

I am keen to understand the diameter of pipes on the puma engine, and the diameter of the connectors on the ProVent 200. I planned to order an extra LLN500030 and cut that to length on the air filter end, and keep the standard pipe on the turbo end (so I can isolate the ProVent should need arise)

I'm not sure if the LLN500030 is the same diameter as the ProVent, hence the requirement for a Provent 200 Reducer Adaptor (19mm), so am i right in assuming LLN500030 is 3/4 inch, and hence use the 19mm reducer adaptor on the ProVent (ProVent being 25mm flanges)?
(assuming I am right here!!! ???)

Also the ProVent check valve - keen to see how fellow defenderers have installed that?

Cheers Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #784519 2nd Aug 2019 9:46am
blackwolf

The Provent 200 is designed for 25mm ID hoses, so you do need somehow to interface the 19mm (3/4") ID breather hoses to it, and as I noted above my chosen option was the Kaon reducer fittings. These are designed to screw into the slightly tapered bore of the proven port and seal with an 'O'-ring. They seem to be spot-on and very wekk engineered (if you use them, lubricate the fitting or the bore or both before screwing them in, it makes installation a lot easier and helps the 'O'-ring to seat correctly).

You have several choices for the drain from the bottom of the filter. The easiest way is to have a length of clear tube with a plug in the end. The oil then dribbles into the tube and every now and again as the tube fills, you can dive under the vehicle with a container, whip out the plug, and drain the oil out of the tube. Many people do this and fit a simple tap at the end of the line to facilitate draining, but make sure that the tap cannot inadvertently open (because of the risk of dirt ingestion). The attraction of this approach is that you really couldn't get simpler

Alternatively you can run the drain into a catch can or bottle of some kind. If you do this, the thing to remember is that either the bottle must be sealed to atmosphere or else there must be a non-return valve in the drain line (remember the inside of the Provent is below atmospheric pressure due to the partial vacuum in the induction system upstream of the turbo, so if the drain line is not sealed or has no NRV you risk sucking nastiness back up the drain line into the Provent.

In many installed systems, especially factory and plant installations, the Provent drains into the sump of the engine. In this case, if the drain connects into the sump below the oil level Mann+Hummel say that you don't need an NRV in the line, but if the drain connects above the sump oil level then you do need an NRV to prevent the induction system scavenging the crankcase gas through the drain. On a 4x4 you would also need to bear in mind the possibility of a submerged return unsubmerging due to operating angles.

Personally I would not for one second consider returning the gunk that drains out of the Provent into the sump. I know that it can be done, but once you've seen what comes out of the Provent (a mix of condensed oil vapour, condensed water vapour, and blow-by byproducts), you won't want to either.
Post #784522 2nd Aug 2019 10:19am
MartinK

blackwolf

That's brilliant! Just what I needed. Thanks for your help. If I ever get to meet, beer on me!

Post #784523 2nd Aug 2019 10:39am
blackwolf

MartinK wrote:
Blackwolf - any chance you could post some piccies of your installation please?

Here you are. The Provent is mounted using ttwo pieces of 25mm x 50mm aluminium that I had left over from some modifications to my Patriot rack. The long piece is mounted to the bracket of the air filter at the front and to the intermediate wing support bracket at the rear. The short piece is really just a spacer to get the top of the Provent clear of the bonnet.

At the time of the photos the hose from the engine to the Provent is made up partly of the original hose (needed because the engine end is larger than 19mm) and partly of some 19mm diesel fuel hose left over from repairing the fuel tank breather, I had to join it because I needed the rest of the original hose to connect the turbo inlet pipe orifice to the elbow on the lower Provent port since the fuel hose wasn't sufficiently flexible. At only £8 for a genuine hose I have another to replace the joined one, I just haven't got around to fitting it yet. The drain is a length of 1/2" reinforced PVC hose which runs down the back of the inner wheelarch to the bulkhead outrigger, to which it is cable tied, and it has a removable plug in the end. It is a protected location where it can easily be inspected and drained when necessary.

You will notice that my induction system is not standard (it's way, way. better than standard!) and I think that you'd have to do something slightly different at the from of the long aluminium box if you had the standard filter. Everything else should fit OK.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #786144 10th Aug 2019 5:22pm
MartinK

blackwolf - that is perfect thank you!

I have found some alu extrusion in the garage, and also bought all the hoses and jubilee clips now, as well as the recucers and one-way-valve.

Just need a couple of hours now.

Thanks for all your help - I will post pics of mine when complete.

Loving the Nugget Stuff airbox too!

Post #786240 11th Aug 2019 10:12am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Thought you guys and gals might like a read of this link should you be tempted with an eBay knock off;

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f17...89242.html
Post #787087 15th Aug 2019 8:50pm
blackwolf

^^^ That's why I put a link to it in my post above (fifth post down on this page)! Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up
Post #787108 15th Aug 2019 10:02pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Pah ha! Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter I should pay more attention to your posts Blackwolf Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Post #787130 16th Aug 2019 6:31am
MartinK

Started to prepare for fitting the ProVent today. Only had a short time between work calls. Finished the brackets to mount the ProVent tho. But, I took the hose off the air filter end, and suprised to see quite a bit of oil residue:

Click image to enlarge

Mine's a clean running motor, only 46000 miles, regular oil changes. Definitely worthwhile IMHO, saving this "gunk" from going back into the motor. I'll finish the install before heading to DefenderJam in a week's time.. Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #787860 20th Aug 2019 11:00am
Tommo

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 Black LE Java Black
So as you may know I have re-installed my EGR and will research this catch cans and make a decision whether to fit one. Only drawback is the suggested regular oil changes (unless I heard that wrong) of every few thousand k.
Post #788172 22nd Aug 2019 6:56am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>