↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Lakeland terrier
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
windy81

Wales 1992 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Firenze Red
Quote:
My mother in law got a Lakeland terrier about 1 year to 18months ago. It’s a dog from HELL.

Three dog trainers, and still there is no show of any progress. Only this weekend I have suggested getting rid of it. It wakes at 5.30 every morning barking nonstop. It has zero recal (luckily their front garden is over an acre). It eats which ever chair they sit on, it’s bitten both of them, it goes nuts every time it hears a car, their house looks like it’s been burgled as they keep removing furniture as it damaging stuff, and so on.

Good points
It’s small
It looks pretty
Makes my spaniel look like a gift from god Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

My advice would be, don’t have a terrier if you haven’t had a dog before. I suggested to them to get a rescue dog before they bought this one. With a rescue you know what you are getting, it will have to pass tests, and, if needed take it back. With a puppy, you don’t know what’s it mentality is.

People thought we were nuts when we got a working spaniel as our first ever dog, and yes he has his issues, but is fantastic compared to theirs.

DON’T buy a dog on looks, investigate its likely mentality.

Sorry
Andy

Mine cooling off last week.

Click image to enlarge

Quote:
This^^

Terriers have been bred for ferocious rat/rabbit hunting. It's in their DNA hence why i never liked terriers, even the good ones tend to be 'nippy' IMO.

Saying that every dog you can get can be potentially a nightmare, it's partly the owner and partly the breed.

The owner needs to understand their dog, understand what makes them tick and work with them.
You cannot for example make a terrier stop chasing and sniffing for rats for example so you need to work with that.

My 2 dogs just like running, a lot! so I work with that, I cannot make them stop doing that, but what I've worked hard on is making them run back to me all the time, and not run too far away. It works .They're part Saluki/Spaniel

Here's Tess, the timid one.

Click image to enlarge
Post #783963 30th Jul 2019 7:22am
tookaphotoof

Netherlands 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
landy andy wrote:
My mother in law got a Lakeland terrier about 1 year to 18months ago. It’s a dog from HELL.

Three dog trainers, and still there is no show of any progress. Only this weekend I have suggested getting rid of it. It wakes at 5.30 every morning barking nonstop. It has zero recal (luckily their front garden is over an acre). It eats which ever chair they sit on, it’s bitten both of them, it goes nuts every time it hears a car, their house looks like it’s been burgled as they keep removing furniture as it damaging stuff, and so on.

Good points
It’s small
It looks pretty
Makes my spaniel look like a gift from god Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

My advice would be, don’t have a terrier if you haven’t had a dog before. I suggested to them to get a rescue dog before they bought this one. With a rescue you know what you are getting, it will have to pass tests, and, if needed take it back. With a puppy, you don’t know what’s it mentality is.

People thought we were nuts when we got a working spaniel as our first ever dog, and yes he has his issues, but is fantastic compared to theirs.

DON’T buy a dog on looks, investigate its likely mentality.

Sorry
Andy

Not enough mental stimulation plus not enough physical exercise and you can go through 10 dog trainers without result. That’s when the horror starts...
Take the dog with you for two days and work all day with it. You might find it stop ruining furniture and barking all the time.
My mother in law had a dog that drove me crazy. Kept walking around a small apartment. Barking worked on my nerves.
Every time I took the dog with me for a couple of days and brought it back my mother in law thought her dog was sick because it was not walking and barking. Rolling Eyes
First and only breed I had was an Airedale. Pretty much a Lakeland XL.
Consistency and exercise. Don’t let a terrier getting bored.
Post #783966 30th Jul 2019 7:29am
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
There is some really good advice here.

I have always had dogs, but never a terrier. I like terriers, but for some of the reasons above, I would never have one as a pet.

I have loved all my dogs, but they do hold you back. They are a tie and for someone who has never had a dog, this can sometimes be difficult to comprehend. The dog always has to come first and this is sometimes at the expense of a social life Probably best to sit back and think of all the places you have been to in the last six months where you and your dog wouldn't be welcome and then consider whether this would be an issue to you.
Post #783967 30th Jul 2019 7:33am
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
as above there is a lot more to consider in terms of holidays, etc. than with teenagers.............. Laughing

never had any sort f Terrier but we have 2x medium or so dogs and they are great fun / company but is one of the reasons we have a caravan so the whole 'family' can enjoy trips away
Post #783969 30th Jul 2019 7:43am
Jeebs

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Barolo Black
Appreciate all the advice.

Mrs is used to border collies and jack russell terriers, so she has a quite a good idea of what to expect.

We don’t go away a lot, but anywhere we have been would be dog friendly, and if we were to go away, her parents or mine would be more than happy to look after it.

Dog handler at work has said it’s all about what the dog is used to, so conditioning and training has to start as soon as.

Strangely, he said boarder terriers are awful to own, but Lakeland’s are great. He had both as a kid, with a sizeable scar on his hand owing to the boarder!
Post #784052 30th Jul 2019 2:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12