Home > Off Topic > Lakeland terrier
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Jeebs

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Barolo Black
Lakeland terrier
So.....

The mrs has decided that because I got a Defender, she gets a dog.

Thankfully I’ve been able to push her towards a Lakeland terrier (love the breed, don’t know why) and we’ve found some pups that will be ready to go in September.

She has always had dogs since being young, I have NEVER had a pet of any kind.

Any tips for a new dog owner? Especially if they are Lakeland specific!
Post #783908 29th Jul 2019 9:57pm
tookaphotoof

Netherlands 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Yes. Tell her to swap the lakeland for an airedale as the the ones I know would drive me mad if I owned them. They all bark too much for my liking (could be the owners). Laughing
In all seriousness, just like its bigger version (airedales) full of energy and they never stop acting like a clown. Big fun but know where you can and cannot unleash them. They don't "always" listen when distracted or if they just want to take a Censored on you. Mr. Green

Don't let anybody trim your dog (every 5-6 months). It's not an easy job and many trimmers just shave / cut too much, which leads to your dog scratching it's skin till it bleeds. I do it myself nowadays. I can simply leave parts I pluck when I feel they are loose enough. Lakeland probably takes about 3 hours to trim.
Post #783914 29th Jul 2019 10:11pm
Jeebs

I’m not a dog person, my biggest worry is that I’ll end up hating it 😂
Post #783917 29th Jul 2019 10:26pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Perhaps you could “borrow” a dog for a day or two to see if it’s what you both want? 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #783927 29th Jul 2019 10:35pm
tookaphotoof

Netherlands 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
My wife is no dog person. I had two in the past! Whistle
She's made very clear the dog is my responsibility and she will not walk it unless strictly necessary. Seems fair to me.

It's impossible to not like a lakeland. Even if it takes the Censored out of you, and believe me it will! Mr. Green
Post #783929 29th Jul 2019 10:51pm
Sulisuli

2 previous dogs or 2 previous wives Rolling with laughter 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #783934 29th Jul 2019 11:11pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
My mother in law got a Lakeland terrier about 1 year to 18months ago. It’s a dog from HELL.

Three dog trainers, and still there is no show of any progress. Only this weekend I have suggested getting rid of it. It wakes at 5.30 every morning barking nonstop. It has zero recal (luckily their front garden is over an acre). It eats which ever chair they sit on, it’s bitten both of them, it goes nuts every time it hears a car, their house looks like it’s been burgled as they keep removing furniture as it damaging stuff, and so on.

Good points
It’s small
It looks pretty
Makes my spaniel look like a gift from god Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

My advice would be, don’t have a terrier if you haven’t had a dog before. I suggested to them to get a rescue dog before they bought this one. With a rescue you know what you are getting, it will have to pass tests, and, if needed take it back. With a puppy, you don’t know what’s it mentality is.

People thought we were nuts when we got a working spaniel as our first ever dog, and yes he has his issues, but is fantastic compared to theirs.

DON’T buy a dog on looks, investigate its likely mentality.

Sorry
Andy

Mine cooling off last week.

Click image to enlarge
Post #783936 29th Jul 2019 11:12pm
Jeebs

I do want a dog, but having never had one I don’t really know what to expect and have no idea what to do with one!

I’ve said, when she goes out it’ll be me sat staring at the dog thinking “I have no idea what to do with you” and it’ll be looking back at me thinking “he has no idea what he’s doing” 😂
Post #783940 29th Jul 2019 11:16pm
Sulisuli

Excellent advice Andy Thumbs Up 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #783941 29th Jul 2019 11:17pm
Jeebs

Can’t seem to edit my post.

We have done a lot of research into the breed and decided a Lakeland is for us.

”non shedding”, requires moderate exercise, supposedly very receptive to training (although from the breeder it’s more about emotional reward than food), loyal and can be left alone for long periods of time, very few health concerns.

We know the drawbacks; high prey drive, stubbornness, intelligent therefore requiring mental stimulation etc

We’ve decided on a terrier because it suits our lifestyle and the space we have.

Most people we have spoken to in the dog world seem to think they’re great little dogs.
Post #783943 29th Jul 2019 11:21pm
gcc130

We’ve had our Lakeland for over eleven years and wouldn’t be without her.
She comes to work with me in the 130 every day and is great company.
They look very pretty but are very strong willed and like to try to get their own way.
Mine does bark a bit but mostly when she is playing with a ball or toy. She does bark at visitors, particularly men, which can be a pain at times.
However not many people will go into my landrover when she’s sat in there 😊.
They are not a breed that can be ignored or left at home a lot, they are always busy, full of energy, can be high maintainance, but can be very rewarding.
They were bred for hunting on the Lakeland fells on foot(hence the long legs)

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

and it wouldn’t be unusual for them to be walked up to ten miles to the hunt, hunt the fells all day then walk home!
Post #783945 29th Jul 2019 11:33pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Have had a couple of lakeys, got one at the mo. Love the breed, full of character and tenacity and quite trainable. However part of the reason I like them is because of their feistiness; this is what gives them their personality! They can be very independent and health wise they are pretty robust. Strong hunting drive can be a problem if that’s not what your looking for, but you can stimulate that instinct with training games such as retrieving or blind search games etc. They are small dog with the energy and drive to go all day long and a very keen brain, so you need to be aware that mental stimulation is more important than physical with this (and arguable most) breeds; the worst thing you can do is end up with a fit but bored dog as they will make their own entertainment. I’ve never had an issue with them going to ground when not required despite strong working lines, but put this down to lots of effort into recall and obedience training.

There are plenty of easier dogs to train, more placid and affectionate, such as a cocker (which I also have and wouldn’t be without), but there will always be a place in my house for a terrier!
Post #783955 30th Jul 2019 6:19am
AJC

United Kingdom 
Having had a lot of dogs, I personally wouldn't have a terrier having not had one before.
Post #783957 30th Jul 2019 7:04am
stanley

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Lots of boundaries to be set straight away, using positive reinforcement , get a crate for them to asleep in and make his place where he is safe and happy ,
And you can use it in the car too ,
It’s a journey and a great responsibility but it’s a fantastic life when shared with a 4 legged friends
Find a good vet too , and insurance !
Oh and didn’t forget to post pictures
Post #783960 30th Jul 2019 8:07am
VVS210

United Kingdom 
Have to say that I agree with the comment that if you've not had a dog before you should seriously consider a rescue dog as a starting point. No reason why you can't get a smaller breed that way.

I've owned dogs all my adult life & currently have two working spaniels. During this time I 'belonged to' a terrier for 15 years & love him though I did, I would never have another as he simply didn't fit the lifestyle. He was a very protective dog, which in some ways was great as no one went near the car if he was in it & he often went to work with the Mrs when she was in the office alone. However, he knew every trick in the book when it came to misbehaving, ranging from the usual chasing cats, trying to bite postmen, sneaking upstairs to get under the duvet, pee'ing on people's legs, crapping on the floor & generally asserting his authority over anyone and everyone at every chance he got, to jumping into a river to kill ducklings in front of the kids feeding the ducks - he absolutely hated water but that was a secondary consideration if there was something to chase & give a good shake once he'd caught it Shocked

Whatever breed you are considering, the best advise has to be to go to a trusted breeder, preferably on the recommendation of someone you know personally who has had a dog from them in the past, then to spend time talking to them & ideally seeing both the parents, or at the very least the dam, of the litter so you can form your own opinion of them & hopefully what the pups will be like.

One last point, and I know this may be controversial to some, your dog needs somewhere it can retreat to where it feels safe & I would suggest that right from the outset you get it used to going into a cage where you can shut it up over night or leave it if you need to - leave the door open when you're around & it will think of it as its den & will go there of its own accord as it grows up. It's also good to get a cage in the car too, both to stop the dog thinking it owns the car but also to secure it & protect you in the event of an accident - a 20lb dog flying around in a car will not only hurt itself but also anyone it hits!

Hope this is helpful.
Post #783961 30th Jul 2019 8:13am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>