Nice write up LRA.

But has it cured the annoying squeak? 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
2002 - Black Discovery II - Gone
2014 - Montalcino Red 110 XS SW
Post #782535 22nd Jul 2019 11:13am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Ha, ha, the jury is still out on that one Smile Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #782538 22nd Jul 2019 11:42am
LandRoverAnorak

Steering Wheel
When I first bought this vehicle, it was fitted with a Mota Lita steering wheel, which I hated:

Click image to enlarge

I changed it as soon as I could for a standard wheel which, all other things being equal, I was very happy with:

Click image to enlarge

However, in a bid for greater security, I decided that a removable wheel would be a good idea. Unfortunately though, the only aftermarket wheel that I'd consider is the Startech and the huge cost meant it hadn't reached the top of my personal priority list yet. Then, by chance, I came across a brand new one being sold on eBay and a cheeky offer secured it for half price. Happy days Cool

I haven't got the removable boss yet but I couldn't resist fitting the wheel. With the old wheel removed, I offered the new one up and it was immediately apparent that it wasn't a straight forward fit. The boss on the back of the wheel was fouling the raised lip on the plastic column cowl. A few minutes with a small razor saw reduced the lip by a few mil, allowing the wheel to fit properly:

Click image to enlarge

The new wheel was then offered up and, having checked that it was square, was marked to aid removal in the future:

Click image to enlarge

And the finished article with the centre cover and Land Rover badge in place:

Click image to enlarge

Having driven Land Rovers of all shapes and sizes with standard wheels for over thirty years, the smaller size will take a bit of getting used to but it does feel very nice.

One thing I didn't realise until I was driving is that I've lost the self-cancelling indicators, as the boss doesn't have any pins to trip the mechanism. I'll live with it for now as I'll swap it again when I get the removable boss, hopefully in a week or two, which I believe comes equipped with the appropriate pins. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #783534 27th Jul 2019 8:58pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
A fellow 306 owner came over to pick some parts up, he likes defenders too. he noticed the wheel was missing on mind. He said what's the story with that? I told him this is what we have to do now, he couldn't believe it how bad these were for been nicked.
The star wheel I do like, but I wasn't willing to pay for the wheel and the odd layout boss either, when I can put the money towards something else on where the car needs it. Plus the option I have gives me more of a choice of wheel. My dad wont switch at all to one. He is happy to keep the disklok. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #783558 28th Jul 2019 12:56am
LandRoverAnorak

X-Defend Column Lock
Another day, another security layer Rolling Eyes This time, it's the X-Defend column lock produced by X-Eng, which is basically an armoured sleeve for the ignition barrel. This is a great security measure as it's completely passive and doesn't require anything to be locked, unlocked or stowed when not in use:

Click image to enlarge

It's clamped in place by the M12 bolt, visible on the top, above. The clever part though, is that it's a shear bolt and once fitted, it cannot be removed without a lot of effort.

Fitting is more fiddly than difficult. The first step is to remove the plastic shroud around the steering column. It's easier to remove the steering wheel first and then it's just a case of undoing six screws underneath. Of course, being a Land Rover, there are two different types - four posi and two torx on a Puma Rolling Eyes

The hole for the ignition barrel needs to be enlarged to accept the sleeve, from 30mm to 36mm. I very carefully used a step drill for this. The dimension isn't overly critical though as the opening is covered by the blue anodised aluminium securing ring:

Click image to enlarge

The top part of the plastic shroud also needs to be trimmed to clear the top of the sleeve when in place. The picture below shows what I've trimmed off. This is completely hidden under the instrument cluster when fitted.

Click image to enlarge

With the immobiliser energiser ring removed, the X-Defend is fitted over the ignition barrel with the securing bolt facing forwards. It's in position when the face of the barrel is pretty much flush with the inside of the sleeve. It'll only really fit one way:

Click image to enlarge

The energiser ring needs to be secured out of the way but still near to the ignition barrel so it detects the key fob. Space is tight and I faffed around with this for a while before eventually cable-tying it to the bottom of the steering column, as far forward as it would go which just allows enough clearance for the two white connectors to fit back inside the column shroud. Forgot to take a picture of that bit though, unfortunately Sad I kept testing the ignition during this process, to make sure that the immobiliser would disarm properly!

With the top and bottom parts of the column shroud back in position, all that remains is to fit the aluminium securing ring, which only needs to be finger tight as the thread is also quite tight:

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

Post #783667 28th Jul 2019 7:44pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Interesting write up Thumbs Up 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #783670 28th Jul 2019 7:50pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
I am toying with this idea of the next security on mine, Are these easier to do on the TD5 than the puma? I may look into one for my dads 200. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #783705 29th Jul 2019 12:40am
LandRoverAnorak

Installation on a TD5 is virtually identical. From memory, I think there's one more screw on the bottom of the steering column shroud and probably a different mix of types Laughing

Here's a copy of the fitting instructions:

https://www.defender2.net/gallery/albums/u...ctions.pdf Darren

Post #783719 29th Jul 2019 6:08am
windy81

Wales 1992 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Firenze Red
i remember doing mine, and its a very good fit over the barrel, at first you don't think it will fit but it's snug which is a good thing.
Post #783771 29th Jul 2019 11:36am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Pity there isn’t an OBD lock for that connector too. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #783806 29th Jul 2019 2:56pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
OBD socket locks are available and are very high up my list of essential security upgrades.
Post #783816 29th Jul 2019 3:43pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Why do you need that??
Post #783866 29th Jul 2019 6:52pm
LandRoverAnorak

Because unfettered access with the right kit allows all sorts of things, such as the ability to programme new key fobs or deactivate security. Darren

Post #783947 29th Jul 2019 11:38pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
If you think about the sequence of operations needed to steal a Defender, then step one is to gain access to the vehicle, step 2 is to get into the vehicle, and step three is to spirit it away.

Step one can be made harder by keeping it in a locked garage or the lion enclosure at your local zoo.

Step two can be made harder with better alarms, relocating the BBUS, etc., but the sad fact remains that the vehicle structure remains extremely insecure and ones the alarms have been overcome, getting in takes seconds.

Step three can be made harder by a removable steering wheel, pedal locks, wheel clamps, hydrualic locks, parking bollards, etc, but if it is to be driven off then at some stage the passive and active immobilisers will need to be overcome. There are several ways to do this, but most methods (but not all) involve accessing the OBDII socket.

So, in my book, disabling the OBDII socket in some way is just another essential layer of security.
Post #783962 30th Jul 2019 7:19am
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
so its a bit like the later BMW's (and probably others) where you can actually recode a new key even when you dont have the original...........will get something sussed - cheers
Post #783968 30th Jul 2019 7:38am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 19 of 57 <123 ... 181920 ... 555657>