↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Spotted > St Gervais, French Alps
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Just been discussing the cut stage for today with my mate who was in Tignes yesterday. We both know the roads concerned well, over the last decade we've travelled them all (by car, motorbike and bike), him especially as he lives near me but works near Moutiers so passes through almost daily and uses the hills throughout summer for cycling. What's more last Sunday he completed the full length version of the stage having done the Etape. Neither of us can see how you can close the road between Albertville and Bourg St Maurice via Cormet du, and the Col du Longefoy, apparently for fear of landslides, yet keep 33km of identical terrain up to Val Thorens open? Either everywhere is at threat or nowhere is. And if it is just avoiding the risk of bad weather in general, (because the road down from Cormet du Roseland to BstM is cheeky and exposed to say the least), pros cycle in bad weather and rain every year in the Giro, Milan - San Remo, Paris - Nice and some of the early classics, it's just part of the sport. If it's raining on a descent you cycle accordingly. Very odd decision. We've decided on a bar instead, let the beer flow and the conspiracies begin... Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #783357 27th Jul 2019 7:25am
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
I have never been into cycling at all but I’m enjoying this thread I didn’t realise it was so full of conspiracies aside from the drug abuse etc but I guess where big money is involved in sport things change. 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #783360 27th Jul 2019 7:44am
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Cycling fans gossip like old fishwives and it's exactly the same story with the pro's, media and everyone in the industry.

If you have 20 minutes to spare have a listen to this morning's 'Watts Occurring' podcast by Geraint Thomas and Luke Rowe. Well, it's actually with Wout Poels this time because Rowe was disqualified from the race. It's not too geeky and they record it in their hotel room inbetween racing.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/epis...0445414265
Post #783362 27th Jul 2019 8:19am
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
The state of the Cormet:

https://mobile.twitter.com/NOSsport/status/1154849512793497601  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #783364 27th Jul 2019 8:42am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
With added Defender

https://twitter.com/StephuyFontaine/status...81632?s=20  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #783375 27th Jul 2019 9:46am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Grenadier

Pretty messy, but honestly the local teams have so much practice (winter and summer) with this sort of obstruction that they’d have had it cleared by today’s depart. Can’t speak for the safety of the route once cleared, I’m no land surveyor, but even if it wasn’t safe they could have climbed half way, and looped back on themselves via Crest Volland and Ugine and then headed along the Valley to BStM. Clearly this would have to have been pre-planned, not off the cuff, but the Giro always have alternative routes. And even if they didn’t, and had to cut the route, again why not take the valley road to BStM, 60kms, and then do the whole of the second half including the Longefoy? That would mean more KMs in the legs before tackling two hills, not just a short blast to one. I still think it could be an epic stage, but slightly more length and an extra Col (and I know the Longefoy, surprisingly cheeky, with a technical descent) could have thrown up all kinds of scenarios. The toughest bit of the race was forecast as being the start of the VT climb, a bit like yesterday's Iseran, as it is steep, twisty, very narrow (single car in some places) and very, very steep. Then it flattens for the final half from St Martin to VT, still a grind, still accumulated three week legs, still altitude, but....

Anyway, I look a good conspiracy and some French red/white/blue-tinted spectacles. It won’t be the first time, (remember Bardet’s non-penalty for taking water in the last 20km that got him a podium of Landa by 1 sec), and it won’t be the last.... Rolling with laughter

Anyway, heading down to the pub in an hour or so, and all guessing will be over by then.... Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #783388 27th Jul 2019 10:54am
Grenadier

Click image to enlarge
 Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #783389 27th Jul 2019 10:57am
Zed

France TV just reporting the stage might finish 11 km lower on Val Thorens. The decision will be taken when they are at the foot of the climb.

Currently racing up a dual carriageway!
Post #783408 27th Jul 2019 1:40pm
Grenadier

Well, all in all, a disappointing end to this year’s otherwise excellent tour. I still think the best climber (if not rider) won, but the last stage was an absolutely unnecessary damp squib. ASO coped out. Did they do it to aid Alaphilippe, conspiracy theory, or panic after Sagan’s comments about rider welfare on the hot stage, or for A N Other reason? Who knows, but it was a very flat ending to a great tour. But well done Bernal, at 22 already a legend, perhaps Mercx’s wins are finally under threat? And well done Alaphilppe, an absolute star. Pure guts, pure charisma, pure flair. Chapeau. Either DQS need to support him as a GC contender next year, or he needs to get himself into a GC team, but either way with the right money, training and support he has the ability, as much as Pinot, to be the next great French winner. If he (they) can get past Bernal..... Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #783461 27th Jul 2019 6:42pm
Zed

Yeah, after an incredible race it felt like a let down. Either Kruijswijk didn't have the legs or more likely didn't want to miss the podium so the stage wasnt contested.

If everyone stays fit next year should be amazing. Froome and Dumoulin would have made mincemeat out of many of this years stages. It will be interesting to see how Team Fracking fit 3 Tour winners into their team. Unless G moves on?
Post #783464 27th Jul 2019 6:57pm
Grenadier

Easy. A potential, history-making 5-time Tour winner, with 7 Tours already under his belt, will always trump a 1-time winner who’s the same age as him and couldn’t win without Froome having won a Giro first or defend his title, and a 1-time winner who won an under strength Tour (brilliant though it was) and is at the start of a 10-year, multi-GC Winning career....IMO Whistle Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #783510 27th Jul 2019 8:23pm
Zed

Oh yeah, no doubt Froome is the leader. I just wonder whether G will settle for being a domestique in the tour if he's 3rd in the pecking. Maybe that's enough for him if he leads the team in other GTs? It will be very interesting to see how it plays out.
Post #783520 27th Jul 2019 9:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12