↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > "oil" trickle down the clutch pedal
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
gambit

"oil" trickle down the clutch pedal
I noticed the other day what appeared to be a small amount of fluid on the driver mat, it seemed to be under the clutch pedal.

I thought that it was a bit of rain run off from my shoe - looked more closely today and it appears to be a light oil of some description???

Any one come across this before?

Cheers, Andrew.
Post #67679 17th Apr 2011 5:21pm
johnszs

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Alveston Red
i would supect the clutch master cylinder is leaking 2004 TD5 Defender 90 xs station wagon
Post #67687 17th Apr 2011 6:20pm
RED-DOT

Scotland 
Common fault... 100% master cylinder... a Censored to do. 2008 RS4 gone, 123d M Sport, and a Puma 90 XS..
Post #67701 17th Apr 2011 7:57pm
gambit

Thanks for the diagnosis, so now going to look up and see if this is a DIY job, or too difficult
Post #67704 17th Apr 2011 8:20pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Do the master cylinder and the slave at the same time Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

One has gone the other will soon fail.

Andy
Post #67706 17th Apr 2011 8:23pm
gambit

Having had a look in the workshop manual, looks like there are not too many steps, although some could be fiddly.

Is there much in the different makes, TRW Vs Land Rover for example?

Thanks Andrew
Post #67712 17th Apr 2011 8:41pm
stevie d

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 SW Alpine White
I had a drip from my pedal a few weeks back seemed a little oily, though I had been offroad and wondered if it was muddy water getting through. Anyway it dried up and hasn't come back and the clutch fluid level seems ok.

I did have to top up the clutch fluid a few months back, but not since.

Can you get an intermittent leak?

Steve Thumbs Up Defender 90 TD5 Station Wagon
Discovery 3 HSE
BMW 330i Coupe
Post #67717 17th Apr 2011 9:30pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gambit

Hmmm - I guess I can understand why, but the workshop manual makes it seem a very straightforward and easy job to change....

Found this though

http://landytown.myfastforum.org/Defender_...t4893.html

Not quite so straightforward as the manual made out, but still a DIY task I guess - albeit a long one.
Post #67729 18th Apr 2011 7:11am
Paul_1978

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Zermatt Silver
Could be worth thinking about this,

http://www.td5alive.com/new_products.php

Im thinking of getting it to stop the problem i have in my left ear, the Mrs moaning about the bloody clutch being heavy in traffic.

Dont know how much or when its ready, but if its a good price got to be a worth while investment.
Post #67842 18th Apr 2011 6:44pm
gambit

Clutch master cylinder was a right mess.

Took all afternoon, but changed now - and thanks to a trip to Halfords and picking up an Eezibleed kit, no air in the system either. That gadget certainly made short work of any fluid problems I had after changing the cylinder
Smile
Post #68432 24th Apr 2011 8:17am
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
I have the same telltale trickle of clutch fluid down the clutch pedal I have just noticed today. The pedal seems to have a bit of 'slack' at the top of the travel as well as a result. I haven't checked the fluid reservoir to see if it's low. Do I have a bit of time before it gives out completely (can I drive it for the next couple of days?), or is it a case of getting it into the garage ASAP? It's only done 25k, but I suppose it's an age-related thing as well to some extent? (It's a 2005).

Cheers,

Tris.
Post #78284 28th Jun 2011 10:09pm
alanhid

Scotland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Just changed mine on my 06 TD5, not a hard job, more fiddely than anything else. Top tip is to take the bonnet off for greater access. Life is not a rehearsal!
Def 90td5 CSW xs 2006
Post #78291 28th Jun 2011 10:38pm
alanhid

Scotland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Green Machine wrote:
I have the same telltale trickle of clutch fluid down the clutch pedal I have just noticed today. The pedal seems to have a bit of 'slack' at the top of the travel as well as a result. I haven't checked the fluid reservoir to see if it's low. Do I have a bit of time before it gives out completely (can I drive it for the next couple of days?), or is it a case of getting it into the garage ASAP? It's only done 25k, but I suppose it's an age-related thing as well to some extent? (It's a 2005).

Cheers,

Tris.

Mine has only 28k, as long as you keep an eye on the fluid level it will be ok for a few days (maybe longer) but I would look to get it fixed as soon as you can, a new cylinder is only about £45 for an OEM one, or about £70 for a genuine one...........0r £15 for a Censored one!!! They say you should do the slave cylinder at the same time as it easier to do both at once rather than going back in a later date (I didnt!)
Its an easy enough job to do........I managed it and Im a NOVICE diy mechanic Thumbs Up Thers a good couple of picture guides online - one on landyzone in Busterbus`s section. If your doing it yourself PM me and I will talk you through it. Life is not a rehearsal!
Def 90td5 CSW xs 2006
Post #78293 28th Jun 2011 10:47pm
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
alanhid wrote:
Mine has only 28k, as long as you keep an eye on the fluid level it will be ok for a few days (maybe longer) but I would look to get it fixed as soon as you can, a new cylinder is only about £45 for an OEM one, or about £70 for a genuine one...........0r £15 for a Censored one!!! They say you should do the slave cylinder at the same time as it easier to do both at once rather than going back in a later date (I didnt!)
Its an easy enough job to do........I managed it and Im a NOVICE diy mechanic Thumbs Up Thers a good couple of picture guides online - one on landyzone in Busterbus`s section. If your doing it yourself PM me and I will talk you through it.

Cheers Alan. Sounds like both of ours have gone at pretty similar times, so that's reassuring (in a weird Land Rover way!) I don't think I will do it myself, although I have a workshop manual, I don't really know what I'm doing and worry about stuffing it up! I've got a good local independent, so will take it to him. Should be able to get it booked in for the end of the week. Thanks for the advice and offer of assistance. Thumbs Up
Post #78296 28th Jun 2011 10:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1