Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Anti Roll Bar kits
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
tyrannosauROSS

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Chawton White
Anti Roll Bar kits
Good evening folks.

I want to install anti roll bars on the TD5 110.

Problem is, there appears to be a huge difference in price for various products.

For example the Extreme4x4 kit is massively more expensive than the Britpart kit.

Is it worth it? Is there a difference?

What are your experiences?

Thanks
Ross
Post #781192 11th Jul 2019 11:27pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
The difference is that the Britpart ones are completely standard spec and the Extreme ones are uprated for better road handling.

This is achieved with chunkier bar work. Which you go for will depend on how you use your Defender. The standard ARBs are a great compromise between road manners and off road capability. The Extreme bars are going to make cornering in the Defender much better on road, but will severely hamper off road wheel articulation causing wheel lifts and loss of traction and momentum.

My 2003 110 also did not have ARBs when I got her either and I opted for a standard set to begin with and the difference was superb Thumbs Up Fast forward to fitting a roll cage and they were no longer up to the job, especially the rear ARB. I too went through the motions of looking at options and eventually went for the X-Eng rear ARB that is much stronger than the standard one and has the ability to be disengaged when going off the blacktop. It is a fabulous addition and worth every penny of the price it costs. The front ARB is still the standard one and the combination works well.

Incidentally if you go for a Britpart ARB kit expect the plastic coating to fall off within a year or so.

Hope that helps. Thumbs Up
Post #781217 12th Jul 2019 8:47am
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
A very personal choice depending what you are after!

I had an Alive posh/stiff fast-road one and sold it.

It's a very personal thing. I've lowered (5cm) and softened the rear suspension on my 110 USW, but retained the standard ARB. I'm now completely happy with the ride. I don't expect it to go round corners like a Ferrari (after all it's on AT tyres and it's a Defender!).

I do have Koni shocks all round (a great improvement)

I would start with standard ARB's - lots for sale on ebay... if you then want to uprate the ARB you can decide whether to do Front or Rear, or both.

Here's mine https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic49065.html

Cheers Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #781218 12th Jul 2019 8:55am
2010Blackdefender90

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
geobloke wrote:
The difference is that the Britpart ones are completely standard spec and the Extreme ones are uprated for better road handling.

This is achieved with chunkier bar work. Which you go for will depend on how you use your Defender. The standard ARBs are a great compromise between road manners and off road capability. The Extreme bars are going to make cornering in the Defender much better on road, but will severely hamper off road wheel articulation causing wheel lifts and loss of traction and momentum.

My 2003 110 also did not have ARBs when I got her either and I opted for a standard set to begin with and the difference was superb Thumbs Up Fast forward to fitting a roll cage and they were no longer up to the job, especially the rear ARB. I too went through the motions of looking at options and eventually went for the X-Eng rear ARB that is much stronger than the standard one and has the ability to be disengaged when going off the blacktop. It is a fabulous addition and worth every penny of the price it costs. The front ARB is still the standard one and the combination works well.

Incidentally if you go for a Britpart ARB kit expect the plastic coating to fall off within a year or so.

Hope that helps. Thumbs Up

I had stiffer ARB’s f and r, they were excellent on road, you could throw the defender into corners and it would stick, it was massive fun. However, off road, the defender got virtually nowhere, the front end wouldn’t articulate at all and the rear hardly moved. I have since changed my set up entirely, and will put a standard arb in the rear for the road, remove it for trips...X-eng don’t make have a ARB for TD5 for Pumas, yet.

As with anything, it’s compromise
Post #781321 13th Jul 2019 9:32am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1