↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > An Anorak's Utility Station Wagon
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 18 of 57 <123 ... 171819 ... 555657>
Print this entire topic · 
boxoftricks

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
I'm planning on this modification but based on this helpful write up make us my own cable. What diameter cable to they use in the kit? The cable that's in the conduit?
Post #776475 7th Jun 2019 10:54am
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Great work and interesting to read, thank you. You may not want to answer but I wonder if you left the original cable in place? James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #776482 7th Jun 2019 11:52am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Roger wrote:
Anorak, to hide the unsightly cable I routed it round the front of the seats and through an otherwise unused metal conduit that lives between the centre removable seat box panel and the gear stick cowling. Might not be suitable for you as I drilled holes in the front of the seat boxes and sacked off the plastic conduit but was able to hide everything under the carpet - vinyl might not be as forgiving!

Thanks, Roger. I did look at other routes and saw your pics in another thread but didn't fancy that solution for mine. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #776518 7th Jun 2019 4:31pm
LandRoverAnorak

boxoftricks wrote:
I'm planning on this modification but based on this helpful write up make us my own cable. What diameter cable to they use in the kit? The cable that's in the conduit?

Not sure , to be honest. I do know that it's thicker than the original (the loose brown wire in the last picture), which I'd guess is 40amp. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #776519 7th Jun 2019 4:33pm
LandRoverAnorak

JOW240725 wrote:
Great work and interesting to read, thank you. You may not want to answer but I wonder if you left the original cable in place?

Yes, the original is still in place for the time being. I'm not sure whether I'll leave it there yet though, as it is a bit of a nuisance in the battery box. Darren

Post #776520 7th Jun 2019 4:39pm
LandRoverAnorak

Click image to enlarge

Big Cry Came out of work on Monday to find I had a flat tyre and had to resort to the odd spare. It wasn't straightforward though: the rain was biblical so I got absolutely soaked, my previously unused LR jack failed as soon as it was put under load and the traffic caused by the weather meant that the recovery van took two hours to get to me Rolling Eyes

Still, new tyre fitted yesterday and normal service has resumed.

On the jack front, I umm'ed and ahh'd about what to replace it with. A Sprinter jack was an obvious solution, and one that I've had before, but crawling around in the torrential rain to get a bottle jack in position made me consider alternatives. As a result, I've gone for a compact(-ish) trolley jack.

Click image to enlarge

I've always baulked at this idea in the past, due to their bulkiness, but Monday's experience has convinced me that convenience in use is more important. Darren

Post #777408 13th Jun 2019 9:42pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
I must buy a new jack for mine! and a jack for the 306, so I can get under that for the service. But I have the bloody MOT coming up for it. So that will have to wait. Rolling Eyes Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #777509 14th Jun 2019 7:08pm
L110CDL

England 
Nice trolly jack LRA, i have got one like that and very handy to carry about Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #777536 14th Jun 2019 8:44pm
Beefster

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Indus Silver
Loving your posts Anorak - all the little jobs I got planned or been thinking about are here! Very Happy
Post #777668 16th Jun 2019 9:00am
LandRoverAnorak

Thanks. Lots still to do, though. The biggest problem I have is between this and my other hobby, I'm in danger of acquiring projects beyond life expectancy Shocked Darren

Post #777670 16th Jun 2019 9:23am
Beefster

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Indus Silver
Got a few days off at end of month to start front ends - started with new mirrors as one of the arms had started corroding, next thing Ive got bumper and grilles on the way. I stumbled on to the Lockwood website looking for mesh and discovered they made exactly what I was hoping to create! Thumbs Up I was undecided about painting the black filler heads but seeing yours makes think it is the way to go (mine is Indus silver). I will get some before and after shots loaded up when Im done.
Post #777701 16th Jun 2019 11:54am
LandRoverAnorak

I was surprised how easy it was to paint those, and how effective it is. Darren

Post #777761 16th Jun 2019 9:28pm
LandRoverAnorak

Summer's finally arrived 😎

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

Post #778768 24th Jun 2019 1:51pm
LandRoverAnorak

EGR Valve and Intercooler Pipework
Some months ago, when driving along with the window open, I heard a strange squeak/screech. Didn't happen very often initially, but the frequency increased, typically when changing up from first to second. I also noticed a dead spot appearing at the same time, especially when the engine was warm. Over the last few weeks it got progressively worse and so on Friday I had the valve renewed for me by my local tame indie, Challenger 4x4. What a difference! It's like a different vehicle with smoother and freer acceleration. I can only assume that the original valve had been sticking open but I've retrieved it and will carry out a post mortem when I get five minutes.

Incidentally, I did consider having it mapped shut but my conscience got the better of me.

Whilst they had it, I also asked them to fit some silicon intercooler hoses, so that's another job ticked off the list. They're a tasteful shade of blue.

Years ago, I would have tackled these jobs myself but these days I tend to pay somebody else Embarassed Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 11th May 2021 2:11pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #782393 21st Jul 2019 4:24pm
LandRoverAnorak

Clutch Pedal Spring
As I spend a reasonable amount of time in traffic and my knees aren’t what they used to be, I thought I’d give the lightweight clutch pedal spring produced by LOF Clutches a go.

Some years ago, I fitted what became the standard over-centre spring to a TD5 110 in place of the original coil spring, so I had a good idea what an awkward job it could be and this one didn’t disappoint Rolling Eyes

The new spring as delivered, which includes a set of three plastic bushes for it to sit in. If you’ve already got an over-centre spring fitted then these bushes will already be in place, but the chances are you’ll need to replace the ‘U’ shaped centre one as they’re quite fragile. When I removed my old spring, the existing centre bush disintegrated, although the other two were fine and re-used.

Click image to enlarge

Removing the old spring is quite straightforward, just needing a bit of leverage with a screwdriver to pop the top ‘legs’ out.

With them side by side, you can see the difference between old and new. There are fewer coils on the LOF spring, which accounts for its’ lighter weight. The other noticeable difference is in the length of the of the top ‘legs’, which are a lot longer on the LOF version and do present a bit of problem, which I’ll come back to.

Click image to enlarge

There’s a reasonably long thread on fitting this spring and one of the suggestions is to cable tie it in its’ compressed state, which I thought I’d give a try:

Click image to enlarge

I managed to get the spring positioned on the pedal but then ran into the first snag. There’s a tab near the top of the pedal (circled in yellow below) that is a legacy from when a coil spring was used in this location. Unfortunately, however, it lines up with the mounting points for the new spring ‘legs’ and the distance between it and the bush in the mount is smaller than the length of each 'leg' on the new spring. The only solution was to cut it off, which involved a Dremel, a bit of wood as a spark guard and a fair degree of cursing.

Click image to enlarge

With that out of the way, I was able to locate the first spring leg in its’ mounting bush without too much difficulty. However, disaster then struck as the cable ties holding the other side compressed snapped! I then spent ages futilely trying to compress the springs with pliers, mole grips and brute force before I hit upon the idea of using a small screwdriver inserted from below as a lever, after which it popped in in seconds. It was at that point that I remembered using exactly the same technique to fit the similar spring to my TD5 all those years ago Evil or Very Mad

And here it is, in position. The pretty green paint didn’t really survive the fitting process, unfortunately:

Click image to enlarge

Despite it being a real faff of a job to fit, I have to say that it was 100% worth it. After a few minutes driving to allow the muscle memory to adjust, the difference in pressure required is really marked and makes sitting in traffic, for example, much, much easier. Darren

Post #782396 21st Jul 2019 4:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 18 of 57 <123 ... 171819 ... 555657>