↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > An Anorak's Utility Station Wagon
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 17 of 57 <123 ... 161718 ... 555657>
Print this entire topic · 
L110CDL

England 
Will be waiting patiently for the " small " mod to be posted Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #770133 25th Apr 2019 9:26pm
sgreenham

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Galway Green
Hi Anorak, loving your build. It's giving me plenty of ideas for our first Defender which we should pick up tomorrow... quick question, do you still have the Moto Lite steering wheel you removed or have you sold that on already? Thanks
Post #770653 29th Apr 2019 11:03am
sgreenham

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Galway Green
Just found the sold steering wheel thread on the forum so ignore the post above... Apart from the "loving your build", I do still love the build. Laughing
Post #770656 29th Apr 2019 11:15am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Laughing Thanks. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #770661 29th Apr 2019 11:27am
LandRoverAnorak

Fire Extinguisher Mount
I've spent the last couple of weeks, on and off, fashioning a mounting bracket for a fire extinguisher from various bits of aluminium channel and angle, to fit in the dead space to the right of the rear door. I'm mildly annoyed with Land Rover for being such cheap skates with their trim for the rear of USW's, and have been working my way around filling in or making use of the gaps.

The brackets consist of two lengths of 2 1/2" x 1 1/2" ali channel, cut to shape, two 30mm wide 1 1/2" angles and a length of 30mm wide flat bar, which have all been etch primed and sprayed satin black. There's also a 24mm wide by 12mm thick nylon spacer and a selection of nuts, bolts and screws:

Click image to enlarge

The channel sections are mounted top and bottom of the end panel to the driver side of the rear door. The top bracket picks up on the two bolts that secure the roof to side clamp and it's here that the nylon spacer is required, due to the irregular shape of the top of the panel. The existing bolts were removed and replaced with two slightly longer M8 stainless ones. The bottom bracket is secured to the bottom edge of the panel with three self-tapping screws.

The two angle pieces are bolted to the channel sections and the flat bar spans between the two to provide a flat surface for the fire extinguisher bracket to fix to:

Click image to enlarge

The paper behind the bracket was a temporary measure to allow me to mark out the position of the window aperture in the trim and mark a vertical line to work to.

I sandwiched some dense foam between the bottom channel and the body, and between the top channel and the angle piece, to give a small degree of shock absorption to the whole thing, as the extinguisher is a heavy lump.

In this picture, the extinguisher bracket has been bolted to the flat aluminium bar:

Click image to enlarge

And finally, with the extinguisher in its' mount and the trim back in place:

Click image to enlarge

At some point, I will trim the area behind the mount with some grey vinyl cloth to match the switch panel mount on the other side, but that's a job for another day. The various measuring, cutting and drilling required for the bracket has already taken an inordinate amount of time, enough to give a very good appreciation of Project Binky! Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #771758 6th May 2019 3:36pm
LandRoverAnorak

I also spent a few minutes today replacing the flaky 'Diesel Fuel' sticker with this etched nickel silver version:

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

Post #771760 6th May 2019 3:41pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Where do you dispose of out of date fire extinguishers? I have two that came with the D. Also I think project binky is just bracket heaven! Everything they do needs a bracket of a gusset, or even a filet. I am currently watching the camper transporter thing they are starting on, which is on the side. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #771763 6th May 2019 4:36pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Procta, Our local recycling centre takes fire extinguishers.

Nice work Anorak. Very tidy indeed.
Post #771771 6th May 2019 5:14pm
L110CDL

England 
As always LRA, nice detailed work gone on there and i would agree with you with the Project Binky comment, that is an awesome project in it's self Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #771803 6th May 2019 7:36pm
LandRoverAnorak

Thank you, chaps. It keeps me off the streets. Darren

Post #771816 6th May 2019 8:42pm
Peregrine_White

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Keswick Green
If you don't mind me asking where did you get the diesel sticker from it looks much better quality than lots I have seen online?
Post #771841 7th May 2019 7:15am
LandRoverAnorak

Good old eBay. It's not a sticker, as such. It's nickel silver and is secured with the two pop rivets shown. Darren

Post #771878 7th May 2019 11:13am
LandRoverAnorak

Battery to Fuse Box Cable Relocation
Despite some misgivings, today I fitted a battery to fuse box relocation kit, as supplied by LRD Security. Some time ago, I expressed some scepticism about the value of this kit but eventually I succumbed on the basis that the amount of time I have to spend on this stuff is often limited and it offered a quick solution, albeit at a price.

Click image to enlarge

The principal of the kit is straightforward - it's a length of cable that feeds the fuse box under the drivers seat from the battery under the passenger seat, passing along the top of the seat box. It replaces an existing cable that runs underneath the vehicle, which is exposed and therefore vulnerable to attack by thieves.

Whilst the kit is now installed and working as intended, with hindsight I wish I'd made something up myself. The reasons are threefold: firstly, the instructions were poor and not correct for XS spec. Puma's (nor probably TD5's); secondly, some of the parts don't fit and finally, the kit is very basic and could be improved on with a bit more thought.

Beginning with the instructions, they describe gaining entry to the two underseat boxes via an existing hole fitted with a bung in the rear outboard corner of each. The main problem here is that on vehicles with heated seats, that hole is already in use for the wires that feed the heating pads. This brings me to the second problem: the kit includes two open grommets for those holes but they're the wrong size, for a Puma at least.

I got around this problem by removing the existing grommets, which left enough space to pass the new conduit-clad cable through the same holes. I then tightly cable-tied the heated seat wiring to the new conduits to prevent them moving and chaffing.

The final issue is one of aesthetics. The new cable runs across the back of the seat box and is secured to existing fixings with large P clips, like so:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The problem with this is that, to me at least, it all looks a bit Heath Robinson. In due course, I'll try and tidy this up with some rigid conduit, perhaps mini-trunking.

Apart from all of the above, in my case the cable was only just long enough, although that's no fault of the kit. Because I have a twin battery set up, the main battery is further forward than the standard position.

Finally, the most tricky part of the installation is gaining access to the connection onto the fuse box, as the plastic shroud is a sod to remove. Access is made easier by undoing the three bolts that hold down the fuse box, which screw into captive nuts, as follows:

Click image to enlarge

Anyway, after a degree of cursing and head scratching, another layer of security is now in place. Darren

Post #776416 6th Jun 2019 7:41pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I fitted the same and wasn't terribly impressed but it is a security improvement. I'm hoping a better solution becomes available.
Post #776419 6th Jun 2019 7:52pm
Roger

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Java Black
Anorak, to hide the unsightly cable I routed it round the front of the seats and through an otherwise unused metal conduit that lives between the centre removable seat box panel and the gear stick cowling. Might not be suitable for you as I drilled holes in the front of the seat boxes and sacked off the plastic conduit but was able to hide everything under the carpet - vinyl might not be as forgiving!
Post #776464 7th Jun 2019 8:46am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 17 of 57 <123 ... 161718 ... 555657>