↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Double din shortlist!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
andy---doe

United Kingdom 
I am now watching this thread for all suggestions because I will shortly need:

a new facia (not sure which one)
New touchscreen unit – capable of apple play, sat nav, reverse camera, phone
Someone to do the fitting – any recommends (as close to S Yorkshire as possible)

(hope you don't mind me adding this to your thread, but didn't think it needed a new one starting)
Post #774206 21st May 2019 12:08pm
PCM

United Kingdom 
Hi Andy
For the facias you have 2 main types:
There are ones are where you have to cut the top off (vents) and re-glue the sticky labels on. These can be great quality, but are a pain to fit as you need to trim the original dash vents and clock. (Probably ok for a pro, but not me)
The second type has the vents and stickers built in. Easy install and look great. Morte plug and play.

I'm ignoring the first type as it's hard work and the installer you pick will complain or charge you a lot, so for the second type costs vary.

I've seen them on Flabay for £150 but was warned by an audio garage that they have seen some of really bad quality, hence i stayed away from these ones just in case.

The best ones are apparantly from Twisted but are £570

https://twistedautomotive.com/store/double-din-panel/

I have one from defender upgardes that is in my mind the same quality as the rest of the dash. TYou should be abel to get everything fitted in a morning if you choose the easy bits (Like me) and the cost of everything all in should be under a grand.

Good quality but hard work type!

https://www.4x4overlander.com/product/double-din-console-2/

Easy type: With vents: Others available!

Click image to enlarge

http://defenderupgrades.co.uk/product/doub...air-vents/

See my suggestions for other bits, but i'd buy them from the installer as you get a warranty from them that's easier to fix if things come loose, plus the prices are about the same as they make a proffit from buying wholesale and tend to keep the prices competitive.. They normally just insist you buy the double din bit. Any installer should be fine, as it's an easy job.

Hardest decision is where to put the rear view camera, and that depends on what you want to see.

Good luck
PCM
Post #774318 21st May 2019 10:58pm
andy---doe

United Kingdom 
Hi PCM

Thanks for the detailed response.
I will go for the Defender upgrades facia but I very much doubt I will do the fitting.
As you say, I will probably purchase the other bits from the installer – when I find one.

Rear camera is already in situ (as this upgrade is replacing a pop out Clarion unit that has the camera/sat nav, etc)
Regards

Andy
Post #774341 22nd May 2019 8:16am
Bluericky

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
Andy

It really is very easy to fit , gove it a go yourself and if you go for the half depth units (I didn’t !) the it will be even more of a breeze .
My defender is the “poverty spec “ so I got away with out having to install the second panel and cutting the dash . I relocated the Hazard switch to the headlight level recess on the new fascia . A bit of fretting and it clicked in ! https://www.instagram.com/hustynminepark/
Post #774342 22nd May 2019 8:25am
PCM

United Kingdom 
Andy
If you already have the camera then serioulsy it's literally a few hours playing about.
There is a youtube video of a bloke installing it that lasts for 20 minutes. He's never done it before either.
It's 2 torx bolts and a bit of popping off switches. No cutting of wires. Take photos and go for it. You'll be so proud of yourself.

Thumbs Up
Post #774345 22nd May 2019 8:42am
andy---doe

United Kingdom 
Bluericky

It may be easy for Landy people that enjoy tinckering - but I can't even see how the existing Clarion unit slides out!!! (Old car radio/stereos used to need a double pronged hairgrip like gadget - but this Clarion doesn't)

I realize I wouldn't necessarily need to remove the Clarion unit and could just take the facia off - but that may be the beginning of my troubles!

I assume the facia comes of by unscrewing the two Phillips screws and then just pulls away?
Post #774346 22nd May 2019 8:43am
andy---doe

United Kingdom 
PCM

Just seen your post. I may have a look at You tube, but probably still erring towards buying the unit from a car audio shop and letting them do it.
Post #774348 22nd May 2019 8:46am
dgardel

Italy 
Mine from Defenderupgrades with orientable vents

Click image to enlarge
 Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #774356 22nd May 2019 10:09am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bluericky

You’ll need the stereo removal tools for your particular make and model or as you correctly say , just remove the torque screws along with entire fascia and unplug all electrics . 20 minutes to get it out and that’s allowing a tea break !

Fair enough though if you get the pros to do it but as above poster says , there’s a lot of satisfaction and a boost in confidence if you do it yourself .

Feeding in the auxiliary usb, handsfree mic and GPS is what takes the most time in order to make a tidy job of it and does involve feeding it through the sides of the dash . There’s also a handbrake earth wire so the system knows if you’re at a standstill (health and safety!!) and also wiring for the reverse camera in order for it to actuate (I haven’t done this as reversing isn’t a problem!)

Rich https://www.instagram.com/hustynminepark/
Post #774358 22nd May 2019 10:20am
Bluericky

I would definitely go for the defender upgrades version as it’s a far easier , less time consuming and tidier job. I wish I had https://www.instagram.com/hustynminepark/
Post #774359 22nd May 2019 10:22am
dgardel

Italy 
The plus are the orientable vents, no more ice on my and passenger shoulder Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #774362 22nd May 2019 10:36am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mev247

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Thanks for all the input chaps sorry for the delay Ive been away. So the fascia I ahve bought is below..... I think the sigle deck double din is the way to go so Im just unsure which is best. I think I want the Nav on it so I dont have to mess around with phones overseas etc.... so I guess the search begins and then attempt a fit...

Click image to enlarge
 60 110 XS -61k- Corris - For Ever....
Post #774386 22nd May 2019 12:29pm
Mev247

PCM wrote:
Did a lot of research on this. The best units if you’re doing a home fit are the half depth double din units.
These slide in and have no need to adjust the “stuff” at the back.

I chose the kenwood model below. But jvc do a similar one.cost is sub £400

Click image to enlarge

Can I ask a daft question how do you use the sat nav or maps in conjunction with this unit or any other unit compatible with an iphone? Im thinking 400 quid on top of this just for nav when you can do it on the scree via phone might be more suitable... value for money. Must be able to do in Europe though... Thx 60 110 XS -61k- Corris - For Ever....
Post #774555 23rd May 2019 1:10pm
PCM

United Kingdom 
It's really simple.
You just click on apple car play on the screen when your phone is plugged in. This brings up all the Apps that are car play enabled. Basically it turns the car stereo 7" Screen into a big Iphone touch screen.

You have a choice of Apple Maps, Waze, google maps etc.. Plus all the music apps. Spotify etc..that are iphone emabled.
Then i just speak to it or use it as you would your iphone with the touch screen on the stero unit. Works well.

The reason i like it is you get the latest maps all the time from Googles database. It uses use your data though, but If you know where you are going you can download maps to be used Offline using the google maps app from your home before you set off. I have the North East UK downloaded offline. It's a tiny file.

Waze is good too, but has too much clutter on it for me. Google are starting to put speed camera locations on it too soon so it's also a speed camera trap locator. Not that you can speed in a 110.

The official sat nav units are unfortunately expensive. If you don't want to have your phone connected then you need to buy the Nav GPS antenna and compatible Nav unit. I couldn't justify this extra cost.
Post #774633 23rd May 2019 10:40pm
Mev247

Ok I think Im going to go for either the Kenwood or the Sony option that have car play. Can I ask is it easy to fit a USB cable at the same time as I assume the phone has to be connected to it via this so all the maps and music can be play on screen? Assuming this is just a clear mirror image of your phone screen? 60 110 XS -61k- Corris - For Ever....
Post #774666 24th May 2019 8:14am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>