↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Series Land Rovers > Series 1 / 2...???
SERIES 1 or 2
Series One 1.6l petrol
10%
 10%  [4]
Series One 2.0l petrol
13%
 13%  [5]
Series One 2.0l diesel
8%
 8%  [3]
Series Two 2.0l petrol
0%
 0%  [0]
Series Two 2.25l petrol
8%
 8%  [3]
Series Two 2.0l diesel
0%
 0%  [0]
Series IIA 2.25l diesel
2%
 2%  [1]
Series IIA 2.6l petrol
0%
 0%  [0]
Series IIA 2.0l diesel
2%
 2%  [1]
Series IIA 2.0l petrol
0%
 0%  [0]
Series IIA 2.25l petrol
54%
 54%  [20]
Total Votes: 37

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
stigomery

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 HT Belize Green
Series 1 / 2...???
So, I've decided to invest in a Series 1 or 2, something I can spend many years slowly fixing up. I don't want a concours example, but also do not want one that needs a new chassis and bulkhead. There seems to be absolutely no consistency to pricing (I guess no different to Defender prices), with anything from £10k to £70k being the going rate from what i can see...

I also do not want to leave it sitting in the garage for years, never driven... it's to be a Sunday car, take to the beach car, go get an ice-cream with the kids car, weekend camping trip car... it will be soft top.

Which engine? I'd set my mind on a petrol engined Series 1... but perhaps that is foolish... having never driven or worked on one...?

"Lights behind the grill" seem to command the biggest premium, they look very good, but worth hunting that specific vehicle down?

Is anyone familiar with any good resources that I might tap into before taking the leap and hunt one down... it's all too easy to jump on eBay and whack the "Place Bid" button as emotions take control and throw sanity out the window.

I've recently signed up to LRSOC and will of course seek their knowledge too...

My decision will ultimately come down to ease of working on the vehicle, drivability for those weekend trips, availability of parts and in the back of my mind perhaps the appreciation it gains in value over the next 10-30 years in my care...
Post #773951 20th May 2019 7:40am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
If you want to enjoy using it, then I suggest an 86" or 88" with a 2 litre petrol engine (or even, shock horror, a 2286cc engine, like my 86" has).

The 80" is really not comfortable, is much more primitive in terms of draught-proofing and weather-proofing, many have a 1600cc engine, parts are expensive, and vehicles are ridiculously expensive. Light behind the grille models will cost you both arms or both legs, and the "peekaboo" lights models not much less.

In reality an 86" or 88" is very similar in terms of usability to a S2 or even S3, easier to get parts for, cheaper to buy, and you can, as I have done with mine, fit the later 2286cc engine in a 100% reversible conversion. My 86", which also has a Fairy oVerdrive, will cruise happily at 60mph, go quite a bit faster if you're feeling brave (or foolish) enough, and returns about 28mpg.

Personally I think that the proportions of the 86" look better than the 88", but most folk can't actually tell the difference.
Post #773960 20th May 2019 8:37am
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
I would concur with Blackwolfs comments above. I have owned Series Ones for over 40 years and am currently doing a sympathetic recommission on a 1953 80in. If you have your heart set on a Series One then Blackwolf says the 86/88in would fit the bill but they do tend to come with a price premium over the Series 2/3 Range. If you are not too concerned if it’s a Series One or Series Two or Three, then personally I would go for a pre 1969 2A with. 2.25 Petrol engine, I have had Series Two’s as well and they are a good entry to classic Land Rover ownership, easy to work on and parts are not overly expensive and plentiful. The driving experience of a Series Two is pretty similar to the later Series Ones. I would be wary of buying off EBay unless you have inspected the vehicle yourself or with someone knowledgable, as with many vehicles on Auction sites there are some real tarted up dogs for silly money.

Good luck with your search Thumbs Up
Post #773967 20th May 2019 8:58am
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I can't help but to encourage you,... Sounds a great investment Thumbs Up James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #773974 20th May 2019 9:39am
Slideywindows

England 
You have done exactly the right thing by asking the question before you jump in, and have had good advice already.

I've been a member of the LRSOC since 1980 and own more than one Series One.

I'm also a member of the SII Club and own some Twos as well.

For several reasons I would advise buying a Series Two.

They are cheaper and fewer of them (but not all) are overpriced by their sellers.

They are also cheaper and easier to repair and maintain, as many parts are common to SIII.

They make an easier entry into leaf-sprung Land Rover ownership - which you (or family members) might find you don't actually like!

However, an important reason is that the SII Club and its forum are friendlier, less elitist, younger (apart from me!) and generally more helpful than the SI equivalent.

If you think that Def2 is a friendly and generously moderated forum, then the SII Club forum is the same.

You can ask anything - about anything! - and not be snubbed or your post put into "quarantine" as on the other forum.

In addition there is an extremely well-attended monthly pub meet at Sturmer near Haverhill, which is attended by owners from your area.

(At the last meeting I was asked to bring along my timing strobe as someone was having problems with their vehicle. Didn't need it in the end as the engine bay was surrounded by people who were sorting it out for the owner.)

If you think you would value this kind of thing, there is no equivalent for Series One owners in the area.

Perhaps to begin with, join the SII forum, have a read and then ask questions.

They will be helpful - and you may find a vehicle for sale by a member.

(PS. It is, of course, your choice and this is just my opinion - but I've never been known to sit on the fence! Laughing )
Post #773995 20th May 2019 10:58am
Slideywindows

England 
In the poll, don't vote for the SIIA 2lt petrol or SIIA 2lt diesel.

They don't exist!
Post #773996 20th May 2019 11:03am
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
I bet they exist on ebay!
Post #774010 20th May 2019 12:16pm
milesr3

2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
I would buy a IIa with the 2286cc petrol engine, or a II with the same engine if you can find one. Simply because you'll easily find all the parts you need and it will be very usable.

Join the Series 2 club forum and say hello. Come to a pub meeting. Look in the classifieds there rather than eBay.

Last edited by milesr3 on 20th May 2019 2:51pm. Edited 3 times in total
Post #774019 20th May 2019 12:51pm
stigomery

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 HT Belize Green
Thanks all for the replies thus far... seems that IIA is garnering a lot of support.

I've sent off my application to the Series II club and await my joining instructions...

Now, got to keep my eyes open for that vehicle...
Post #774020 20th May 2019 12:53pm
milesr3

2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
You don't need to be a member to access the Series 2 Club forum: http://www.series2club.co.uk/forum/forum/index.php

It may take a day or two to gain access though as the moderator (Alan - aka Wittsend) has locked it down a lot more nowadays.
Post #774024 20th May 2019 12:59pm
Andy80

England 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Cairns Blue
Evening

A Later and modified (2 1/4 or Tdi) S1 are pratical and good fun, they can cover good distances and circa 60mph unstressted...

Personally a Light behind the Grill 80" is the vehicle for me and I have a couple but far from pratical....

Anthother consideration is an Minerva!, Working towards Carry on camping!
Post #774092 20th May 2019 7:27pm
JeremyJ

United Kingdom 
Late ‘60s 2a 2.25 petrol, best of all worlds and useable.

Climbing in value but not yet to series 1 levels (which seem to be dropping slightly). Every possible variation is out, original, restored, modified (well and badly!), find the one that suits you.

As a curve ball I do like the Minerva idea. Had one briefly purely to flip and it’s left an impression on me. All are LHD but an absolute steal compared to a Solihull built 80”!
Post #774102 20th May 2019 8:14pm
mini Anaconda

United Kingdom 
I have a 1966 Series 2a with a 2.25 petrol. Probably best not to go for a diesel unless you are happy with watching the world go by very slowly. Laughing

Plenty of advice available on the Series 2 Club forum should you want to join. Thumbs Up BORG - Bucks & Oxon 4x4 Response Group
Post #774112 20th May 2019 8:37pm
strang

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
I have had my 88" series one for 20 odd years. It was originally a 2 litre diesel - these are rare engines and almost impossible to get spare parts for as the Army never used them, so none were stockpiled. They also have wet liners which cause problems. I have fitted a 200 Tdi in mine now - its noisy, but can keep up with modern traffic, can drive on the motorway without fear, and I travel all over Europe in it as well - its also economic. Aesthetically, I prefer the look of the 86/88 series ones.

I have also had a couple of early series twos - both petrols and both great engines. I like the look of he deep sills on these motors and they still have their headlights in the right place.

As suggested, join the respective forums and ask plenty of questions. On Facebook you can also join groups like the Series Land Rover Group and the Land Rover Series Once Brotherhood - which always has lots of good photos. Euro-Leafing to infinity and beyond.....
Post #774263 21st May 2019 5:33pm
sharkey964

France 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I was lucky enough to pick up a nice little early Series 2,a few years ago,it had had a 200tdi fitted which I was a bit dissapointed about at the time,& intended sourcing a good 2.25 petrol.
I haven't replaced the 200tdi,as it's so good,very useable & reliable.
Like you, I use it whenever posible.
I'm not boithered about it being showroom,in fact when I sourced a hood,(it didn't come with one)I bought a good condition origional one,cost me all of 50 quid. Smile
Get one.......But,most importantly,use it.
Marc

Click image to enlarge
Post #774274 21st May 2019 6:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>