↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Europe > Defenders for sale in France
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
French prices for any vehicle seem way way over the top - 2005 150k Freelanders at £9 & 10k, would be £1500 in the UK.

Just been to a big VW main dealer, nice looking 2 year old transporter E54K and there is canvass showing on the front tyres!

Prices in France from houses to cars to tat on car boot sales are all over the place, people ask for the sky but the final price is much lower.

Keith
Post #770276 26th Apr 2019 7:25pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Chambud wrote:
Hi. I am new to this forum .. I’m looking for some advise , I am thinking of selling my Defender here in France, ( I’m keen to buy TD5) my local garage gave me a valuation which seems surprisingly high! ... I have looked at a couple of Sites like the Mobile and la Bon Coin and the values vary enormously..Where would i get a realistic value...I do not want waste time with it advertised at the wrong price.
Thanks for any advice on this ..

Who did you use Chambud? Accroland? Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #771593 5th May 2019 7:38am
Grenadier

Hi Birdy,

Registration is a fairly simple affair.

To do so you need the following:

1. Original V5
2. European Certificate of Conformity from the French HQ of the given brand, I.e. JLR France. To get this it will need to be checked over by a JLR dealer and (obviously) your lights will need to have been swapped before the test.
3. Control Technique (French MOT)

Then you pop wth the paperwork to your local registration centre, fill in the correct form and hand it over. They will calculate the import costs for you (based on engine size, emissions and value) which you pay and they will send away all the bumpf. From recollection they give you a temp registration until yours arrives, which is fairly quick. Once it has arrived, you have a set number of days to get the vehicle insured and new plates made up and fitted. Simple really. The difficult bit is passing the EU CofE, which being JLR could cost a bob or two as well (my wife's Mini was 500€, Not including changing the lights!!), and the expensive bit will be the import cost. However, it's worth remembering that once paid for, there I still no annual tax in France and the CT is every two years. Insurance is usually reasonable as well. So whilst it might seem expensive at first, within a couple of years you'll be paying less than equivalent in the U.K.

On pricing, cars are very, very expensive in France, especially premium brands. (We bought my wife's new model TT, 1 year old, fully specced, for 30k€ in Germany, and at the time the local Audi dealer had a lower spec model also second hand and with higher mileage for sale at 43k€!!). The Defender is no exception. Depending on what model and spec, as much as 50% more than the UK, certainly 30% on average. So that route might be worth considering. But it is worth remembering that this is like for like in each respective country. What I mean is that the price difference would relate to a registered RHD in the U.K. versus a registered LHD in France. If you're thinking of selling the Def, you'll have to factor in the cost of importing it and deduct that from any offer from a buyer, as they will be faced with the same bill. Could still be higher than selling a LHD in the U.K. of course. I'd suggest best value would be to keep the Def and import it. Within a couple of years you'll have absorbed the import costs, whilst still using your pride and joy and if you then want to sell it for a premium price to upgrade to a different model or spec of Def, you can do so then. It's what I did with my 110SW. I made 10k just by waiting. Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #771594 5th May 2019 8:04am
Tribord

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Zermatt Silver
To register a EU vehicle in France you do not go to a registration centre. Everything is done online (ANTS).

For the CoC, ask JLR in UK rather than France. It is cheaper, and you do not need to visit a local dealer. You will just be asked To email a few photos of the vehicle /VIN number. You can also also ask for copies in English and French.
Post #771608 5th May 2019 12:01pm
Grenadier

Tribord, that’s useful to know. I need to catch up Whistle Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #771615 5th May 2019 12:34pm
WindyJ

Also worth noting that aswell as it now being online with ANTS, it takes 4 weeks and you now have to declare yourself as fiscally resident in France.
Post #776103 3rd Jun 2019 8:16pm
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
"For the CoC, ask JLR in UK rather than France"

Thanks Guys, just returned to the UK, found a garage to facilitate everything, the only thing a little unusual was their suggestion that the vehicle(s) be registered in joint names. Morgan no problem 'cos I've got an EU CoC.

But not so easy to find the correct persons to contact in JLR to request a CoC, anybody have a Customer Relations e-mail address?

Peter
Post #779070 26th Jun 2019 9:27am
ickle

Gentleman I dealt with was Faisal Rehman at lradvice@jaguarlandrover.com

Absolute gent, emailed me the forms, I scanned them and sent them back with a screenshot of the bacs payment,CofC arrived in French (and copy in English a few days later.
Post #779081 26th Jun 2019 10:49am
peanutbob

United Kingdom 
Hi Guys
Just returning to the original thread from 2017!
On the ooyo site , which often links to marche.fr site, there are loads of cheap defenders, and not just defenders. Many are high mileage in kms which wouldn’t look that high in U.K. miles. Some are scams I guess… but they can’t all be! Why are these so cheap when I understood that used defenders are priced higher in France than the U.K. and why aren’t these getting exported to other countries..which would take them readily?

I’ve also linked to a BMW x5 as well as an example.
France is a large country …are the high mileages in kms really killing used car prices? Maybe one of the French members on this site can provide some information.
Have a look on the ooyo site and type in defenders france price £1500 plus.
Thanks.

https://www.ooyyo.com/france/c=CDA31D7114D...5748.html/
https://www.ooyyo.com/france/c=CDA31D7114D...7802.html/
https://www.ooyyo.com/france/c=CDA31D7114D...0340.html/
https://www.ooyyo.com/france/c=CDA31D7114D...0886.html/

https://www.marche.fr/Petite-annonce-a-ven...=61456616_
Post #986939 26th Mar 2023 8:10pm
ickle

First two are definitely scams - way too cheap.

If something looks too good to be true, it normally is!

HTH Keith
Post #986980 27th Mar 2023 7:55am
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
Clickbait I would say.

Obviously living in France and being a car person, I browse around and occasionally go and look at and maybe buy a car.

Leboncoin is the equivalent of the US Craigslist - a free site which attracts professionals as well as amateurs. It's fairly big, I would say bigger than Ebay, which is not well established here. The general ad quality is poor and in many cases the seller are poor too (no response etc). So I think it provides a pretty good average of what you can (or might hope) get in France.

Defenders are expensive in France, in fact most cars are expensive especially if they are half interesting. Never have I see a viable defender for same for less than $15k. Occasionally someone will sell an unfinished project or cars for sale for less, but they are risky purchases since in France to register the title under our name you NEED TO HAVE A VALID MOT (Control Technique) which kinda knocks out all the interesting project cars.
Post #986991 27th Mar 2023 8:53am
crs013

What type of mileage/ condition are defenders going for? around the 20k-30k euro range? Any tips on finding LHD defenders? I'm moving to Europe for a bit and may want to take one back with me to Canada eventually.
Post #1022111 22nd Jan 2024 3:24am
TexasRover

You are in the middle range there and should be able to get something decent. Every defender will need a little bit of work unless you find a real pampered one and a person getting desperate to sell. Most Defenders live towards the Alps region and France can be big and with tolls potentially expensive to travel through ,factor in some time to buy. I find most private sales happen through Leboncoin, but I am not on Facebook.

I don't know about export to Canada, I know in the US they need to be old enough for emissions excl California I suppose
Post #1022114 22nd Jan 2024 5:35am
crs013

Thats good to hear! Are the vehicle registries reliable in terms of accuracy on vehicle history? Are there any other countries I should look at buying from? Canada is lucky to have a 15 year vs 25yr import policy. Its a great priviledge to be able to enjoy these machines a little sooner than our neighbours down south.

If I can find a tutorial on something somewhere I'll give anything and everything a go. Most 15 year old vehicles need some time and care ultimately.
Post #1022116 22nd Jan 2024 6:13am
TexasRover

I don't think there is something like Carfax in France, but you can get all the mileage history from the government CT (Control Technique) records, if you receive the correct information from the seller. The required information (codes) are on the Carte Gris (Title). You can get access to the government information (free of charge), but if the car has been imported then there is nothing before that. Hence people typically say if the car is original French which gives you more history obviously.

I find surprisingly many cars are imported which must have to do with tax and car values in France being a little bit higher. In France you only pay a registration tax once when you buy new or used which is based on the car CV - fiscal horse power and there are no annual registration cost people tend to hold on to cars longer which makes the second hand market less fluid..

For a Defender however all this information can be of limited value as it depends more on how (and where) the car has been kept, chassis rust being an obvious concern.

There are plenty buyer guides on this forum.
Post #1022122 22nd Jan 2024 7:15am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>