Home > My Defender > An Anorak's Utility Station Wagon
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 16 of 57 <123 ... 151617 ... 555657>
Print this entire topic · 
newton-tony

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Firenze Red
Re: Rear Step
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
Managed to squeeze in a bit of modding time this evening. First job was to fit a rear folding step. the inserts were already in place in the underside of the cross member so it was just a case of bolting it on. I did swap the bolts in the kit for some stainless ones, though."

Out of interest, which step did you go for? I want to fit one, but there seem lots of options. Thanks.

Last edited by newton-tony on 16th Apr 2019 9:18pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #768889 16th Apr 2019 9:10pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
It was an aftermarket one from Paddocks. It's no better or worse than a genuine one, to be honest. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #768891 16th Apr 2019 9:15pm
newton-tony

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Firenze Red
Thanks - will take a look and add to the list Thumbs Up
Post #768892 16th Apr 2019 9:17pm
LandRoverAnorak

Rear Carpet and Side Trims
Today’s task was to finally finish the inside of the load area, which I’d started back in June '18 with the installation of some sound proofing. To do so, I bought a utility wagon load area carpet kit from LRI Solutions, which comes pre-cut to suit the awkward shaped wheel boxes.

The first task was to remove the thin rubber matting that seems to be Land Rovers’ token gesture for these models. It’s captured by the rear door threshold strip and the plastic moulding around the brackets for the second row seats.

Removing the threshold strip revealed more evidence of the quick and dirty way in which these vehicles were assembled, with all of the swarf from the holes left to be trapped beneath the rubber seal

Click image to enlarge

With all of those removed, I was left with a nice, clean empty load space:

Click image to enlarge

Next, I completed my shrine to the god of SilentCoat, which was very satisfying:

Click image to enlarge

Finally, the carpet kit was installed. It comes in six pieces: two wheel boxes, two sides, floor and a small piece to cover the fuel filler. The kit comes with a tin of spray glue but it’s a messy process so I thought I’d try with double-sided carpet tape. Didn’t work though – it didn’t have enough ‘stick’ to keep the carpet taught against the panels – so I had to persevere with the glue. I used a wallpaper seam roller to fix the carpet into place.

The floor piece is loose laid but is retained in the same way as the original rubber mat.

Click image to enlarge

The carpet kit was ok, but not perfect, needing trimming in a few locations. The side pieces in particular, were too long and the offside one had to be cut around the fuel filler. I also cut the wheel box pieces around the speaker trims, as they wouldn’t fit back into place on top of the carpet. The kit also stops at the back of the seats, so I need to sort out some more carpet for under the seats, the sloping fronts of the wheel boxes and the second row footwell.

When I started to fit the first side piece, it quickly became evident that I needed to remove the side trims, so whilst I had it all apart, I took the opportunity to cover the sides with some Veltrim carpet that I had left over from trimming my old 90. I’m really pleased with the way they’ve come out:

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 10th Oct 2019 1:12pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #769393 20th Apr 2019 7:39pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
Had a rather unplanned expensive day, today. Took my Defender to Challenger 4x4 for an oil change and to investigate a clonk somewhere at the rear end and ended up with a new Ashcroft output shaft Shocked Still, it drives very nicely now Rolling Eyes

Expensive but better in the long run. Only a matter of time before it went possibly leaving you stranded somewhere.
Post #769395 20th Apr 2019 7:43pm
LandRoverAnorak

Yeah, very true. It was on my list to do later in the year anyway, merely as a precaution. Darren

Post #769468 21st Apr 2019 3:27pm
LandRoverAnorak

Rear Door Threshold
A bit more tinkering time today and following on from yesterdays' carpeting triumph, I decided to tidy up the rear door threshold plate. On other Defenders that I've owned, I've tended to replace these with a stainless version but as this one is still relatively young, I thought I'd have a go at cleaning it up and painting it.

I first cleaned it up with some wire wool and deburred the edges where it's cut during manufacture. Then, after a coat of etch primer and a couple of coats of satin black, it was reinstalled with new stainless screws. The latter were each given a dab of Duralac and fitted with a nylon washer to separate the metals and the end result is very pleasing:

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

Post #769470 21st Apr 2019 3:34pm
LandRoverAnorak

Alloy Rear Body Badge
I also fitted a nice, cast alloy, badge to the rear body today. The badge came from Falon Nameplates and is very nicely finished and pre-drilled to take M5 bolts.

Having removed the plastic LR badge and cleaned the glue off the body with white spirit, I covered the area with masking tape and, after a bit of judicious measuring, positioned the new badge centrally above the 'Defender' sticker. I was careful to avoid the joint between the body panel and the stepped top of the wheel box behind, which limits the vertical positioning to some extent.

With the holes marked, they were drilled and de-burred before the badge was secured with the help of my darling wife (as my arms aren't long enough to reach inside and out at the same time!).

Click image to enlarge

I covered the rear of the badge with 2mm self-adhesive neoprene foam to seal it against the bodywork and sourced some M5 stainless pan head bolts and nylocs with which to fix it. I also added some nylon washers under the bolt heads to protect the lacquer on the badge. Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 10th Oct 2019 1:14pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #769472 21st Apr 2019 3:49pm
grafty99

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
Very nice work LRA Thumbs Up

Did you notice much acoustic difference with the carpeting installed? 2002 90 Td5 Station Wagon
1990 Vogue SE
Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
Td5 90 Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic50767.html
Tdi 110 Thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic69562.html
RRC Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic54492.html
Instagram http://www.instagram.com/george_grafton
Post #769478 21st Apr 2019 5:03pm
LandRoverAnorak

Thanks Smile Haven't driven it yet, though. To be honest, I'm not expecting a massive difference as it was already fitted with SilentCoat and 6mm foam on most surfaces. Darren

Post #769484 21st Apr 2019 6:47pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Ooh that threshold looks very nice. I was going to order a stainless one but that looks better. Think I’ll try painting mine as well.
Post #769486 21st Apr 2019 6:52pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Nice work, looking smart Thumbs Up 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #769508 21st Apr 2019 8:20pm
LandRoverAnorak

Thanks, chaps Very Happy Still lot's to do... Darren

Post #769534 21st Apr 2019 10:03pm
L110CDL

England 
Nice lot of boxes ticked of there LRA, looking good Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #770082 25th Apr 2019 7:19pm
LandRoverAnorak

Thanks Clayton. The next small mod is in the works but I'm waiting for the delivery of some materials... Darren

Post #770122 25th Apr 2019 8:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 16 of 57 <123 ... 151617 ... 555657>