Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Drive shaft (NSF) leaking
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Petronius4

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Drive shaft (NSF) leaking
Evening all.

Just done an oil and filters change on the Landy and whilst I was having a good root around underneath noticed that I’m seeping grease(?) from the near side front drive shaft swivel ball. I’ve only covered 20k since new and that’s nearly all road use so I’m a little hacked off tbh.

Anyone have any suggestions on what may be the cause before I take it down to the stealers. If I’m honest I’d like to have a go at it myself but I have limited tools and experience on this sort of thing. Advice & suggestions greatly appreciated as usual.

Very Happy -------------------------------
👲🏻 1986 ex-Military 90 NAD 2.5 Soft Top. Sold
🇬🇧 2015 Defender 90 - Ripon Landrover Heritage 006
Post #769230 19th Apr 2019 5:05pm
donmacn

Hi,

I'd post a pic, let folk see what you're talking about. I don't mean to diminish the concern, but it's easier to judge with pics.

Does the car steer OK, no wobbling or anything? If it is new, and all very tight, then it seems to me that's quite a low mileage to have the swivel seals go.

I did mine - probably 10 years ago or so, at a rough guess. First time I'd done them. It's a bit involved, with a few bearings and gaskets involved. On the plus side, on a new-ish car things shouldn't be overly rusted/siezed.

Could the seals have been damaged by something? I've seen someone put dinitrol/waxoyl onto the swivels, which then dried quite hard, and I think damaged the seals. Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #769235 19th Apr 2019 5:19pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
How badly is it leaking ? If only a slight weeping without tons of grease dripping out, I wouldn't be too worried.
Just keep an eye on it and make sure it isn't getting worse.

You could always put say a quarter of a tube of the one shot grease into the housing to compensate for any slight loss.

If the Puma is like the older Series swivels, I'm pretty sure it will involve removing the swivel pins and brake caliper to extract the half shaft and to get the swivel off the ball.

If you turn the steering from lock to lock, are there any signs of damage to the swivel ball that could explain why the grease is getting past the seal?

Not sure on Puma, but on the older series vehicles, you could successfully "bodge" the job to avoid removing the swivel by carefully cutting the large oil seal and placing the cut at the top. Only worked though if the ball itself wasn't badly pitted.

My Puma passed its MOT three years on the trot with a very slight leak on both sides.

Can you attach a picture to show how bad it is? We can then comment on how it compares to others!!
Post #769237 19th Apr 2019 5:25pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Unfortunately and ultimately the seals perish and the grease oozes out. I am sure that the new Defender will not suffer from this age old LR problem... It was much worse when the swivel was filled with EP90 not grease.

Even though your Defender has predominantly only done road miles all it would take is a piece of grit to lodge in the seal for it to wear and fail.

The fault could be;

The seal has hardened or become compromised in some way,
    your wheel bearing is worn or loose,
    the swivel pin bearings have worn,
    or alternatively that the swivel ball has worn irregularly and now the seals do not... seal...

I presume the defender is your 2015 model you have covered 20k in and bear in mind that this response is utterly laced with a good quantity of assumption.

Your Defender has not covered very many miles for its age, it is therefore possible that it has been stood inactive for quite some time. It is possible that the seal became fixed to the teflon coating of the swivel ball and upon movement caused the teflon to tear or wear. It would be worth getting underneath with a rag, cleaning the swivel ball up and making sure the ball is in good condition. You will need to turn the steering wheel from lock to lock to check the entire surface. Although wear is usually at the straight ahead position. Obviously any wear on the swivel ball could also cause wear on the seal too.

Whilst you are down there jack the wheel up and see if there is any play in the bearings (wheel or swivel), it will be plainly obvious if there is, there should be no movement (apart from rotational).

The repair procedure for replacing the seal is at least a 4 out of 5 in difficulty and requires a good assortment of tools to do the job right. I fully expect you are going to want a top notch job done on your low mileage Defender, I would...

The alternative is (and I wouldn't do it this way if I had access to a garage or tools or time) if the swivel and bearings are all ok and the it is just the seal, then you can remove the old seal easily by cutting it off. Carefully cut the new seal at the top of the seal, slide it over the swivel throat, position it and bolt the securing plate back in place. This is a great bush repair, but it does leave a small weakness in the seal where water can get in.
Post #769241 19th Apr 2019 5:51pm
Petronius4

Photos added
Photos added. Thanks for responses so far.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 -------------------------------
Post #769242 19th Apr 2019 6:02pm
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
Hopefully just the seal gone. Mine went at 2 years, although not as bad as yours. It was replaced under warranty at the second service. Not a big job for the garage - about 1 hours labour i think.
Definitely needs looking at though.
Post #769247 19th Apr 2019 6:27pm
donmacn

OK - I'd be a bit concernd about that.

In fact one of mine is getting to be that bad, but I can see that the seal retaining ring is virtually disappeared. I've got all the stuff ready to do the job in the next wee while.

Your pic also seems to show a bit of grit mixed in with the oil. Maybe there's something in your local geology that's hard on seals? Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #769248 19th Apr 2019 6:30pm
williamthedog

2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 PU Tamar Blue
Definitely a new seal at least Neutral
Post #769254 19th Apr 2019 7:00pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Having seen the photo, I agree. That is leaking too badly to leave and needs further investigation as per geobloke's comments Sad
Post #769324 20th Apr 2019 9:05am
Landymatt

United Kingdom 
Petronius, how did you get on with your swivel seal situation?
Post #778446 21st Jun 2019 7:12pm
Petronius4

Hello @LandyMatt

Sincere apologies for only just seeing this!

Yep was the seals gone. Took it into our local Indy John Dennis who did a sterling job and at a reasonable price too. Would’ve been perfect but then the bloody egr valve went futt two months later so in it went again. This time not so cheap Rolling Eyes

Anyway no probs since and I’m now off down to Espana in it next week. -------------------------------
Post #812796 31st Jan 2020 2:18am
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
if yours is a Heritage as per your avatar, have you had it corrosion protected it would be a shame not to, and its too late once the rot has set in DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #812797 31st Jan 2020 6:25am
Landymatt

United Kingdom 
Petronius4 wrote:
Hello @LandyMatt

Sincere apologies for only just seeing this!

Yep was the seals gone. Took it into our local Indy John Dennis who did a sterling job and at a reasonable price too. Would’ve been perfect but then the bloody egr valve went futt two months later so in it went again. This time not so cheap Rolling Eyes

Anyway no probs since and I’m now off down to Espana in it next week.

Hi Petronius- thanks for coming back with confirmation - still no monitoring mine - if you could drop me a PM with what it cost you to have the seal done I’d really appreciate it Thumbs Up

And enjoy your adventure!!

Matt
Post #812811 31st Jan 2020 8:52am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1