↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Today I fitted a Slickshift what a really really great mod
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Today I fitted a Slickshift what a really really great mod
After a few weeks of debating with myself about fitting a Slickshift I decided to bite the bullet and order one from Synchro Gears. I decided to buy the whole kit which includes a new turret and a plastic sleeve, anti-rattle spring and the Slikshift
Fitting was pretty straight forward bearing in mind I am no mechanic.

Getting the plastic sleeve out was a challenge but got there in the end, then bending the springs forward took some doing.

The hardest thing was adjusting the springs and the bias which I have to say took a couple of hours of slight adjustment and then keep taking the Defender for a drive around and then more adjustment until I got it right. I am now very pleased with the way the gears change.

The Slickshift takes some getting used to and I will have to learn the new ‘H’ as the gear change is pretty close.
What do I think of the new set up, really good and once I get used to the new style of change it will be one of the best mods I have done.

At first glance it looks complicated to fit but it is not, though forget about it only taking a half hour to fit as Syncro say, for it took me all afternoon, as I say adjusting the springs is a chore and I nearly gave up, but if you take your time and adjust in very small increments you will get there.

I have just driven to town with the new set up and the gearbox feels like its brand new the changeup and down is very slick and I can recommend this mod to anyone, just make sure you buy a new turret as the wear on the old one I took out was noticeable, they only cost £30.00 complete with springs fitted.

Out with the old

Click image to enlarge

Bending the turret springs

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Fitted greased and adjusted

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #769128 18th Apr 2019 4:11pm
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Looks and sounds like a job well done Gilarion Thumbs Up

I bet it really does feel like a 'new' Defender.

One on my ever-extending to do list Thumbs Up
Post #769161 18th Apr 2019 11:04pm
gilarion

Do it.
I have seen these fitted at various land rover shows and thought I wonder if it was as good as they, say, it is, trust me.

Having driven all over the place tonight this simple mod is great, Fitting it is no more complicated than undoing a few bolts and following Synchros fitting videoes, the benefit is, well it puts a smile on your face. As I said this is the best and cheapest mod I have ever done.

I cannot say how the gear change feels but now have fitted this I would never go back to the original gear change. An afternoon well spent.. Thumbs Up For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

Post #769162 19th Apr 2019 12:21am
gilarion

Well, it has been over three weeks since I fitted the slick shift and I am now used to the new gear change it and love it. The Gear change is very 'slick' and so much more positive than the stirring porridge that the old change was. For the money, this is one of the best mods I have done and one that any home mechanic can do as it is not that difficult to fit. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

Post #772295 9th May 2019 3:20pm
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
It's good to hear it is still making you smile Thumbs Up

A sound ROI

You convinced me with your original post - so now just saving the pennies as like you I'd opt to replace the turret etc.
I have a few other 'bits' to buy first.

I expect that with the recently fitted LOF clutch spring, this modification will be transformational.
Post #772351 9th May 2019 6:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1